Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

camping

(78 Posts)
DINNNO Sat 20-Apr-19 01:08:14

feeling like a bit of a night owl - are there any other night owls out there at this hour?

I've been camping before and it was dreadful. The tent was trying to fly away with me in it and the pegs holding the tent down were being ripped out of the ground. I immediately grabbed my belongings and ran out of the tent into a bathroom-building nearby and watched the tent fly off into the distance with no desire to go and catch it as I had a fear of getting wrapped up in it and flying off with it.

After the incident i developed a fear for tents.

Sadly, in a few days time I'm scheduled to go on a camping trip with a few relatives that know just as little as holding a tent down as I do. I asked them how they plan to stop the wind from having it fly off and they said they'll peg it down. I did the same with my tent that ended up flying off so don't think that this time it will be any different.

On the trip, the tent will have to be large as there are more than one of us. 9, so a huge tent will be used. We can't control the weather and it changes all the time and we don't have the energy to continuously be moving a tent around.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for holding a tent down in windy weather without moving it every time the wind changes direction or speed?

NanaandGrampy Wed 08-May-19 19:42:34

As sodapop says- the dog can keep you company!

sodapop Wed 08-May-19 16:56:54

Yes definitely stay at home as SirChenjin says, why put yourself through all that discomfort for no good reason.

NanaandGrampy Wed 08-May-19 13:39:39

I used to camp often ( not now- I like my luxuries too much) . Why not sleep out under the stars DINNO that will sort your fear of tents out AND blowing away!!

SirChenjin Wed 08-May-19 11:50:06

As every camper knows DINNNO the only way to guarantee that the tent won't blow away is to stay up all night holding onto it. You could arrange a rota to ensure that everyone gets at least a few hours kip within each 24 hour period, and make sure you take plenty of snacks and drinks that you can manage with one hand. Lots of group singing to keep spirits up.

Or you could feign illness and stay at home with the telly and a packet of Bourbons.

oliversnana Wed 08-May-19 09:54:21

Caused a laugh 9 person tent we had a 15 person tent when my Dd were younger

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Apr-19 00:44:56

Never camp under trees, there is always danger during storms.

'There are campers who walk (me) and walkers who camp (DH).

One day we had walked and walked and it got dark. I was very cross that we hadn't pitched our tents earlier and said, 'Not one step further, we stay right here.' So we did.

In the morning, we discovered we were less than 6 ft from the edge of a cliff which fell to the sea (as would I had I got out to widdle in the night). grin

Squiffy Sun 21-Apr-19 13:29:35

How lovely annie smile

sodapop Sun 21-Apr-19 13:14:30

Lovely story Anniebach

Callistemon Sun 21-Apr-19 10:07:46

Anniebach that was lovely smile

gillybob Sun 21-Apr-19 09:20:54

I remember being out in a field in the middle of the night in driving rain and howling wind when the awning of our caravan unpegged itself . It was fastened to the guide rail of the caravan and the strength of it threatened to upturn the whole van. It took me and DH over an hour to get it under control, we were soaked to the skin and we never slept another wink . The children meanwhile slept right through it.

kittylester Sun 21-Apr-19 09:20:30

And me.?

Elegran Sun 21-Apr-19 09:15:27

I wish we had a like button, Anniebach

Anniebach Sun 21-Apr-19 09:03:21

One evening in the Scout Hut I went into the tent room, tripped over a rope, a Queens Scout who had beautiful blue eyes caught me, I married him ?

phoenix Sun 21-Apr-19 08:27:33

grin

kittylester Sun 21-Apr-19 08:26:48

Meanwhile, on planet Zog!!!!

sodapop Sun 21-Apr-19 07:47:50

Don't need HQ we have Bradfordlass to remind us .

BradfordLass72 Sat 20-Apr-19 23:48:17

Hello Dinnno, As we've discussed, there's always at least one person who can't respond in a civil manner. Learn to ignore them smile

In the 70's my husband and I used to go camping and he loved winter camping, so we had what were called 'foul weather tents' which slept two. We had no car, so we walked with huge packs on our backs including the kind of tents you see in the picture.

We had two boys. DH shared with the 11 year old and I got the smelly baby grin just two months old on our first trip.

Because we encountered the very worst the Yorkshire climate could throw at us we learned to peg the tent securely. One peg knocked in sloping from right to left and another, through the same tent loop or guy rope, from left to right, forming a cross beneath the ground. Even the most determined wind didn't win against that!

But I suspect you are to go in one of those fancy tents with separate rooms and a canvas floor as well. Several people in that sort of tent have enough weight and strength not to let it fly away.

Well done for braving your fears and going with them, it might help you be less nervous about tents and camping. I hope you have a lovely time. flowers

phoenix Sat 20-Apr-19 22:15:48

Don't care, so there!

sodapop Sat 20-Apr-19 22:13:40

Now now Phoenix You will be having HQ down on us for contravention grin

phoenix Sat 20-Apr-19 21:03:50

Oh for heavens sake! Dinno you have "a fear of tents", why on earth are you even considering going on this trip? Although I still fail to see how a tent with NINE people in it will be blown away!

You asked dragonfly how she survived a tornado in a tent, and what sort of tent she was using! Previously you have said that the people you are going with already have the tent, so it's a bit late to ask what sort it is, surely?

I will ask you where is this holiday taking place, and is it in an area prone to tornadoes and or cyclones?

Somehow, a bit like the question regarding the breed of your dog, I doubt if there will be an answer.

Maggiemaybe Sat 20-Apr-19 20:57:02

DH and I went camping when we were students. Got there and realised neither of us had picked up the tent pegs. We eventually found two trees just the right distance apart and lashed our tent to them. We were woken up next morning by a whole troupe of Boy Scouts laughing at us. There was no chance of blowing away, sadly also no chance of getting out of the tent with any dignity.

Callistemon Sat 20-Apr-19 20:36:17

These days I would rather have a staycation than a holiday in a tent.

DINNNO Sat 20-Apr-19 20:33:36

How did you survive a tornado in a tent? What type of tent were you using?

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Apr-19 18:43:55

We used to camp every year for three weeks in France. We have on occasion been known to hold the tent poles down as it was so windy but it was not very often and if you have the guys securely fastened it should be fine. Take some extra strong tent pegs though as the ground is so hard at the moment the thin ones will bend.
We have survived tornadoes, floods, hail stones etc but it is the best holiday ever.

crazyH Sat 20-Apr-19 18:43:46

I love this thread - thanks DINNO for starting it. Given me a few laughs ??????