Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Smell of cat poo in garden

(53 Posts)
Lindylou51 Mon 22-Apr-19 16:00:22

Given the glorious weather of late we have been sitting in the garden and have noticed a strong smell of what I think is cat poo. Don't get me wrong, we both love cats and have never minded their visits to our garden. We had the family over yesterday and the smell was really quite pungent. We have looked around and can't find anything obvious where it hasn't been buried. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the smell or what to put down to deter the cats using our garden as a toilet.

Esmay Sat 02-Mar-24 05:29:29

I'm finding keeping the garden nice a real problem and it's getting worse :

My nice neighbour has four cats and doesn't dig her garden so her beds are like concrete whereas mine are inviting and the other neighbour has a tip in which foxes live . These foxes have demolished the latest fence repair ( lasted a day ) and my fox loving neighbour is avoiding me .
It means another politely written letter to him and hopefully not another screaming session from him .

My garden is a lavatory for both .

I liquidise citrus peel .I haven't tried garlic .
I also put down strategically placed kebab sticks when planting - these are trampled on .
Holly branches would help too .
I have used Jeyes fluid but it can kill plants .

When the weather warms up I'm planting a quince hedge where the fence is broken .
I'm on poop duty daily .
I've given up exhibiting my flowers , because they are never presentable these days .

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 01-Mar-24 18:54:00

This post is almost 5 years old

jenthenan59 Fri 01-Mar-24 15:47:50

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jenthenan59 Fri 01-Mar-24 15:46:51

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grammaretto Wed 24-Apr-19 08:57:02

I've been reading this thread in fascination. I always thought you got tiger poo from the zoo but you say that doesnt work? Nepata - catnip- is supposed to deter them.

We get cats all the time since our old moggy died. They dont bother me much maybe I have a poor sense of smell.
Squirrels are a pest as they eat the plastic wheelie bin lids but now at DDs her hens have made a dust bath in their strawberry patch.

SpringyChicken Wed 24-Apr-19 07:48:08

I find Jeyes fluid very effective against cats too. Apply it to fences and boundaries where there are no plants. Even spray the house walls, sheds etc. The smell lingers for a long time in a dry spell. Also, save clippings of thorny plants to place around vulnerable flower beds. Gooseberry clippings are especially useful

grannybuy Wed 24-Apr-19 00:09:59

I noticed that latterly, when we had two cats, they didn't always dig and cover. I hear a lot of people talking about cat poo on their grass. It seems to be a more recent phenomenon.

dinks13 Tue 23-Apr-19 20:19:40

It’s probably cats. I am absolutely sick of clearing up cats poo in my garden. I have spent hundreds of pounds now trying to stop them. I originally had a lovely flower bed but had to get rid of it due to cats constantly pooing in it, replaced it all with bark chippings, no they still kept pooing there, then replaced it yet again with stone chippings,still didn’t work, always thought that cats buried it, NO way. Am now going to have to resort putting rose thorns down, which is not going to look very good, but am absolutely sick of them now.

quizqueen Tue 23-Apr-19 20:08:55

My own cat poos in my garden. I have never smelt cat poo!!

Onestepbeyond Tue 23-Apr-19 19:49:00

@SillyNanny321 Your local Council should be tackling this as it is a Health and Safety issue

Dog pooh brings flies along with it if not cleaned up properly

My next-door neighbour used to let their horrible westie sh*t in the gap between our houses- on their side - but left it for days before cleaning it up

In the summer the smell was horrible and the flies it brought came into my house _ I was really careful to keep my kitchen windows and door shut

Thankfully that dog is now in doggy heaven and has not been replaced with another one-
I can sit in my garden in peace and have as many windows open enjoying fresh air-

roastchicken

NanTheWiser Tue 23-Apr-19 16:47:27

Sounds as though it's fox poo to me too. It STINKS.

breeze Tue 23-Apr-19 15:35:48

Crikey CarlyD7 eternal vigilance a fence that needs notices and everything bar a machine gun turret, attack dog and landmines grin

Those pesky wabbits grin

Eternal vigilance shock does this mean taking shifts on a gantry with a spotlight and a siren?

It's going to rain tomorrow. We'll all be sitting indoors anyway and the wildlife/pets will be safe smile

Bet it's stinkier living in a farmyard grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 23-Apr-19 15:34:29

Oh, dear, Silly Nanny that is a problem.

Could you invite the dogs' owner in for coffee and leave the window open so he or she can get a whiff?

Do you know the neighbour well enough to say right out, "I love your dogs, but I cannot put up with the stench of their jobs, so please will you let me come and help you clean up your garden?"

I agree it is a horrible stench.

To those with problem cat neighbours:

Try chopping up rose branches or anything else with thorns and adding it to your wood chips, Cats don't like getting thorns in their paws, so that ought to deter them,

lemongrove Tue 23-Apr-19 15:14:35

I agree with breeze on this, highly unlikely to be cat poo at all.

breeze Tue 23-Apr-19 14:55:11

My money would be on fox poo/urine. It stinks. Cats bury their poop so although it's annoying to gardeners it's not usually smelly unless you turn it over with a fork.

We have two dogs and they usually poop whilst out (yes, I do pick it up) but occasionally they'll have one in the garden and it doesn't smell half as bad as the fox poop I have to continuously (our DGD's play in the garden) scrape up. It's always runnier and the odour is vile. They pee too and it's got a really nasty stench. Can't stop them though so I just go out and scrape up and no one has died.

Some plants have a urine/sweet sickly odour too. Especially in the spring. Elder in particular can be a bit whiffy. So don't shoot any of our furry feline pals as they may not be to blame smile

pce612 Tue 23-Apr-19 14:02:50

Eleanor21- We had the same problem but not now that we have put up a proper squirrel feeder. We have red squirrels, a joy to watch.

NellieJ Tue 23-Apr-19 14:01:02

They have been using my lawn, tried all sorts last thing was garlic and chilli wartered down and spread over lawns no poo for a week now so hope they have found a new Loo

pce612 Tue 23-Apr-19 13:56:07

SillyNanny321 - get in touch with your local council's Public Health Inspector, sounds like a health hazard to me.

knspol Tue 23-Apr-19 13:35:57

Had a terrible skunk like smell in my garden recently and it turned out to be 2 Fritillaria plants. Small plants but dreadful pervasive smell.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Apr-19 13:16:10

Whoops sorry for swearing it was meant to cross out not sure why it didn’t

BlueBelle Tue 23-Apr-19 13:15:30

I would love to use the water gun method but he seems to visit at night as it’s always when I wander round the garden next day It ll have to be netting but even that’s not foolproof
—Bloody— Lovely chap

Aepgirl Tue 23-Apr-19 12:34:50

I think the reason you never see any cat poo, Craftycat, is that your cats poo in other people’s gardens, never in their own.

Legs55 Tue 23-Apr-19 12:07:58

I have a cat & he uses my garden he may use other peoples as well , I know where he goes so know to be careful when I'm gardening. Water pistols or sprays are a good idea, my cat only needs to see the spray bottle to go & hide in case I aim it at himgrin. Most cats hate water

kircubbin2000 Tue 23-Apr-19 11:42:19

Could it be fox poo?

kircubbin2000 Tue 23-Apr-19 11:41:38

The answer is to get your own cat.He will prevent intruders and won't make a smell in his own territory.