Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wedding gift for nephew

(59 Posts)
whatkatydid Fri 03-May-19 11:49:46

Hello. Our nephew is getting married in July. He and his girlfriend have been together for years, they're in their late twenties. Bit of background, we haven't seen him since his teens, mostly because of distance, but we hear all his news from his mum, my sis-in-law, who we also don't see much of because of distance, but do keep in touch with. We won't be invited to the wedding, which is absolutely fine as they're having a really small do for immediate family and close friends in a local pub, which I think is a great idea - no problems there! We would like to send them a small gift, though, just to say we're thinking of them and to wish them lots of love and luck. I'd rather not just send money, but I'm not sure what might be appropriate. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. smile

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 21:32:02

The soap thread has interested me and so I cannot think of anything much better than olive oil veggy soap in a pretty box

notanan2 Sun 05-May-19 21:23:28

Vouchers are a pain and either get left with money unspent on them or cost people to take them over the full amount. Some dont get used at all. I sell any we get on a voucher selling app, you get a % of the value in cash or can swap them for vouchers you will actually use.

Sounds like you are NOT actually "in touch" with this nephew. Talking about him to other relatives doesnt count. When was the last time you called him up directly?

IMO a card would be lovely. If you want a bit more: cash. You dont know him at all, you just know what some 3rd party mutual relatives tell you about him through their filters.

grannyticktock Sun 05-May-19 21:15:25

The reason many people don't go out and buy photo frames is that they have no use for them, or have enough already.

NanaPlenty Sun 05-May-19 09:54:11

A photo frame is lovely if you don't want to spend too much - something we seldom go out and buy for ourselves.

billericaylady Sun 05-May-19 09:28:30

I agree John Lewis would be fab ♡

Mcbab Sun 05-May-19 08:56:46

What I’ve have done in similar circumstances a couple of times is to give a voucher for a good restaurant so they can enjoy an evening out and a good meal when all the wedding fuss has died down. Seemed to go down well ?

madmum38 Sun 05-May-19 00:40:12

What about getting some experience day vouchers? My daughter won some and there are so many different things to spend them on that there must be something that would interest them

annep1 Sat 04-May-19 23:38:01

Whatkatydid. Sounds like a good choice.

Tangerine Sat 04-May-19 21:41:41

What about vouchers for the theatre? People often don't get round to be booking theatre trips but, if they have a voucher, they go.

grannyticktock Sat 04-May-19 21:35:16

When my nephew got married, I gave them some money but wanted to give a gift too. I chose a holiday or honeymoon kit: a smart canvas beach bag with two beach towels and some little travel extras like fancy luggage labels etc. Even if they have such items already, they soon wear out or get shabby and a new set will be welcome (if they like holidays!).

whatkatydid Sat 04-May-19 18:25:10

Ahh, now I have another problem, which of these great ideas to choose! They're quite an 'alternative' couple, he is a musician and in a band, and have their own style, so I'm slightly leaning towards the idea of some delicous bubbly, with a couple of vintage champagne glasses and some delicious treats packed up in a gift box - something they can enjoy after the big day, perhaps. Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm keeping a note of them all for future wedding gifts!

elleks Sat 04-May-19 17:10:57

"I'm still using the last of the towels we received as wedding presents. We got married 38 years ago"
44 years here, and we're doing the same! Good quality lasts.

Onestepbeyond Sat 04-May-19 16:20:09

Silver gifts are good for Weddings- Photo frames or a posy bowl

Inca Sat 04-May-19 16:00:35

I remarried at 60 in 2017. Obviously we had most things that we needed. Were given bottles of bubbly and JL vouchers....but we particularly enjoyed using the gift card we were given for Bella Italia. We enjoyed having a meal there after a visit to the cinema nearly 2 years after we married... it was almost like receiving the gift all over again! smile

nipsmum Sat 04-May-19 15:50:21

No matter how long they have been together it's always nice to be able to buy something you both would like or renew . I found Amazon Vouchers very acceptable. You can buy anywhere with your choice of amount.

whywhywhy Sat 04-May-19 15:44:27

Find out what their favourite shop is, maybe from one of their parents and see if you can get them some gift vouchers. I wouldnt buy anything as they may already have it.

sazz1 Sat 04-May-19 15:33:41

I always give a towel bale usually in white unless I've seen the colour scheme.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-May-19 15:26:23

Surely, your sister-in-law can suggest something, or tell you whether the young couple are registered anywhere or have an online wishing-list.

That way you would be more certain of giving something they will like.

Most shops these days will gift-wrap a present and allowed it to be exchanged for a certain length of time afterwards if you mention that it is a wedding present.

trooper7133 Sat 04-May-19 15:22:52

A nice photo frame

searose Sat 04-May-19 14:50:47

There is a charity called Fine cell that makes hand stitched soft furnishings and other things. They have some items especially for newlyweds. They are not cheap but the quality is good and at the same time you would be supporting their cause.

Newatthis Sat 04-May-19 14:46:37

These days newly weds have a wedding list which is normally linked to a shop where they will list things that they really want indifferent price ranges. If not then a John Lewis voucher (or another shop) is a good idea.

sharon103 Sat 04-May-19 14:43:15

I agree with getting a store gift voucher or if you go onto the 'Next' store online and type in wedding gifts you can buy really lovely gifts from just a few pounds and some personalised with the bride and grooms names and wedding date and year. It's worth having a look. They sell gift cards too from £10 upwards.

Pat1949 Sat 04-May-19 13:41:26

I don't think you can go wrong with a voucher. It might not be very imaginative but at least they can buy something which is needed.

Patticake123 Sat 04-May-19 13:06:39

Do they have a garden? If so a gardening voucher would be lovely. They could buy a shrub that will forever be ‘whatkatydid’ a nice way to be remembered!

sarahcyn Sat 04-May-19 12:40:47

According to the laws of physics it is impossible to have too many good bath towels, even if they sit in a cupboard for a few years waiting for the current batch to wear out.
But I’d seriously look into a case of decent champagne.