Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Remainers - EU Election, London Region

(14 Posts)
Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 16:57:31

I seem to remember that London voted remain so you stand and excellent chance. I too would suggest LibDems.

Did you hear about Boris's tweet in the locals? He tweeted that he had just voted! London didn't have an election!

Sara65 Thu 16-May-19 16:08:55

I reluctantly agree with Tanith

humptydumpty Thu 16-May-19 14:04:37

I feel that voting for LD is the best bet, as they have come out unequivocally as pro-remain, so if you vote for them it is a clear endorsement and it's difficult to see how a greatly increased LD vote can be spun as anything other than pro-Brexit.

Charleygirl5 Thu 16-May-19 14:04:12

tanith please, you must vote.

For the first time in my life, I will be voting tactically- Lib Dems. It is proportional representation as it is for the EU.

Riverwalk Thu 16-May-19 13:42:58

Well that's done - voted for LD.

It'll be interesting to see if the predicted total wipe-out of the two main parties materialises.

Framilode Tue 14-May-19 09:19:05

Unless Labour comes out clearly supporting a confirmatory vote (and that includes Corbyn) I am treating them as a leave party and shall be voting LD.

I think they are making a massive mistake and will lose many remain voters. They say they are worried about their constituences in the North and Midlands who voted leave, but the referendum wasn't on party political lines and many, if not most of those voters would not be voting Labour anyway.

Riverwalk Tue 14-May-19 08:08:35

I've seen the Gina Miller site Whitewave that indicates the LibDems.

Yes, Iam if the Labour Party were clearer that would help!

Witzend Tue 14-May-19 08:05:24

Around here - always a toss up between Cons and LDs, it'll almost certainly be LDs.

In theory I'd like to vote Green, but by all accounts they made a pig's breakfast of the only council they ever controlled - Brighton I think - so no.

TBH I think the whole lot of them are pretty much a hopeless shambles at the moment, but I'd never NOT vote.

Iam64 Tue 14-May-19 07:59:08

I don't know the best tactical vote for Remainers in our constituency which voted Leave by a small majority. The only leaflet we had so far is an expensive one, delivered by post from the Brexit lot.
If the LP position was clearer than it is, that would assist. So far I'm thinking LibDem or Green because their position is to Remain.

crystaltipps Tue 14-May-19 07:52:51

I’m tended to go for Greens, as I think the environment is the most important issue of our times, but Lib Dem’s maybe the better choice tactically. It’ll be one or the other.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-May-19 07:49:48

You must vote ????

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-May-19 07:49:25

There are a couple of web sites which will advise remainers how to vote for maximum effect. Gina Miller is running one.

I could find out the names if you would like.

tanith Tue 14-May-19 07:03:17

I have no idea and for the first time in my life am favouring not voting at all ??

Riverwalk Tue 14-May-19 06:54:18

May I ask remainers how are you intending to vote?

I'm reading conflicting advice on where our vote will have maximum impact. It's probably a futile gesture but I think it's important to send a strong message to Westminster.

As you can see from the very long ballot paper we have 21 choices - 10 parties and 11 independents.

Probably the Liberal Democrats?