Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

An intruder !

(68 Posts)
NanKate Thu 23-May-19 08:58:23

I am an animal and bird lover but have to admit an aversion to pigeons.

One has been trying to nest in a tree just below my bedroom window and I have been clapping my hands to frighten it away.

Since yesterday the nest has been built and mother pigeon is insitu ? I feel reluctant to knock the nest down whilst she is away but the thought of a bloomin big pigeon baby being feet from my window appals me.

DH returns tomorrow and I will hand over the task to him.

Any suggestions or does anyone know how long the pigeon could be here?

Liz46 Fri 24-May-19 09:32:42

One of my daughters lives in a flat which has two balconies. For years she was unable to use the balconies because of pigeons nesting on them. Eventually she had the balconies netted. Pigeon droppings can cause serious lung problems.

Rufus2 Fri 24-May-19 09:34:41

Any suggestions
We have bigger intruders known as sulphur-crested cockatoos, which don't nest in the vicinity of our house but visit to clean out food put out for smaller rainbow lorrikeet parrots. My non-lethal attack weapon is a "water-blaster" gun as used by kids. grin Jet range is about 25 m. The rascals don't like getting wet, quick to see the approaching water stream and take off in a big hurry. I enjoy our skirmishes even if they don't! grin

BlueBelle Fri 24-May-19 10:20:17

My three story house has pigeons in the eaves on the roof on the top floor window sills I don’t really care live and let live (apart from the ginger moggy that digs up my bulbs)

SillyNanny321 Fri 24-May-19 10:22:22

I must be the only Gransnetter that does not mind our birds. All are welcome to my feeders. This morning my cats ( indoor due to health when i adopted them) were watching 3 baby starlings as mum showed them how to get the food. So lovely. Many more babies on the small, for smaller birds, feeders on the other side of my little garden. Earlier I was in my front garden holding a bowl of broken up granulated wholemeal bread, no white, for my favourite Herring Gull who taught me the game when he was very young. Very beautiful birds when close to them & mine is very gentle but still treated as a wild animal with the respect that he deserves. Sorry got off point & rambled but love my birds. So if you read this far Thank You ?

polnan Fri 24-May-19 10:24:25

wish we had other than pigeons in our small garden. love the cooing sound, but the mess they make!

aprilgrace Fri 24-May-19 10:29:50

My sister is so frightened of pigeons she even changed her bank as the one she used involved walking down the high street where there were always a lot of pigeons!

quizqueen Fri 24-May-19 10:44:37

I expect the pigeon population and all other creatures we share this planet with are not very happy that we have built on areas where they could previously build their habitats. We should have every sympathy for them and look at the situation from their point of view!!

Millie22 Fri 24-May-19 10:45:25

I'm not very keen on pigeons at all but I wouldn't harm one. I'm forever hoping that the ones in my garden will fly over to the nearby restaurant where wood pigeon is one of the starters!

4allweknow Fri 24-May-19 10:46:54

For next season could you possibly tangle some lightweight cloth netting in the spot they used to stop them taking up residence again. Anything to stop them landing. Look at most buildings there are spikes , nets etc to keep pigeons, gulls off.

Legs55 Fri 24-May-19 10:59:12

Gulls are the biggest problem here, they are noisy especially the youngsters, the adults have even been known to dive bomb my cat when he was minding his own business in the garden, he's no threat to them as he hasn't yet learnt to flygrin

Wood pigeons visit my neighbour's bird table devouring everything in sight leaving nothing for the other birds, my cat did try & catch one the other evening (we only have a fence between us). I do love seeing the collard doves though. I have a bird feeder which attracts many of the smaller birds. We also have lots of blackbirds which I love.

GreenGran78 Fri 24-May-19 11:07:36

I have a shallow plastic bowl which the birds drink from, and bathe in. It was almost empty yesterday, and a pigeon tried to drink. It was too shallow, so he thought about it, then carefully pressed his foot on the side. Having tipped it up, he was able to get a drink. Clever bird!
I enjoy any wildlife which comes to my garden - even the sparrowhawk who occasionally swoops in so quickly that all I see is an explosion of feathers, then he is gone with his prey.
Clearing up a bit of poop is a small price to pay for the pleasures they bring.

BradfordLass72 Fri 24-May-19 11:16:47

“A curd-like substance is created from fat-filled cells that line the crop and regurgitated to feed the squab. This ‘milk’ contains protein, fats, minerals and antibodies to provide nutrition to the young. Both male and female pigeons produce it."

sarahellenwhitney Fri 24-May-19 11:41:19

Is it your tree ?If so grin and bear it until mum and babies have departed then bring in a tree surgeon who will advise on pruning this tree so making it a less inviting home to other future would be mums.
If the tree is not yours have a discussion with the owners for another remedy if they disagree with your suggestion.
Unlike noisy neighbours, who you can be permanently stuck with, baby pigeons will soon depart allowing you to slumber to your hearts content.

Mamar2 Fri 24-May-19 11:41:29

I was tested at the hospital for allergies a few years ago now. The usual stuff like grasses, tree pollen etc showed up but one I didn't expect was PIGEONS!

Magicmaggie Fri 24-May-19 11:49:46

I had a really horrible experience with a pigeon last
Sunday,
I found a pigeon that had been attacked by my
cat who had left it in terrible state, barely alive.
I didn’t know what to do, and rather then see it suffer,
got a rock and ended it’s life.
When my husband got back much later, I was still in such a
state, couldn’t get the image out of my head.
He buried it in the garden.
Has anyone else been through this? It was really traumatic.

Bobdoesit Fri 24-May-19 12:09:49

Please don't disturb the nest, it will only be for a few weeks and you will have the pleasure of viewing your very own 'Spring Watch' or perhaps that should be 'Summer Watch'. You could always film it and share it on Facebook! wink

narrowboatnan Fri 24-May-19 12:13:42

If the nest is built and the female pigeon in situ and has started you will be breaking the law if either you or your DH disturb or destroy it. It is illegal to disturb or destroy nests that are being used during the nesting season.

narrowboatnan Fri 24-May-19 12:14:23

Should have said *started to lay

missdeke Fri 24-May-19 12:25:31

NanKate Pigeon eggs take 17-19 days to hatch and a further 8-12 days to fledge, so around a month maximum before any babies have gone. I have dozens of baby starlings around at the moment, perfectly capable of feeding themselves but still fuss the parents to feed them. They are adorable. Robins nesting in the teapot in the honeysuckle too.

25Avalon Fri 24-May-19 12:31:30

My tree surgeon refused to prune my hornbeam tree because he said there was a pigeon nesting in it. He said it was illegal to disturb a nest with young even that of a pigeon. Something about the Wildlife Act.

annodomini Fri 24-May-19 12:54:39

Collared doves are terrible flirts. I once observed one sitting with a big pigeon on a neighbour's trellis. The dove kept shuffling up close to the pigeon as the pigeon shuffled away. This went on for about three minutes until the pigeon flew off. I was in no doubt that the dove was after a bit of billing and cooing.

Mapleleaf Fri 24-May-19 13:07:08

We get them in our garden, and to be honest, I find their antics amusing.
They really are very timid birds and easily spooked. It also takes them ages to decide that they are brave enough to move from, for example, the fence to the grass.
Close up, their feathers are such a pretty shade of grey pink on their breast.
Yes, I know they can make mess, but they are part of our rich tapestry of life and we really should treasure what we have. We don't know how long we've got them for, especially as humans continue to impinge on the territory of many animals.
It would be illegal to disturb a nesting bird, too.

Theoddbird Fri 24-May-19 13:25:37

I have all sorts where I am....it is baby time at the moment. Love them all smile

grandtanteJE65 Fri 24-May-19 15:47:18

www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/BRKPigeon.html
should answer your questions as to how long the nest will be inhabited.

I second Ellan Vannin, but perhaps you could put up some of those spikes that prevent pigeons from building over the door to your patio.

Jeanniejoo Fri 24-May-19 17:45:48

Couldn't you put up one of those fake black cats near the nest?