Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Proof of existence certificates

(17 Posts)
evianers Tue 28-May-19 13:27:01

Since we have lived in France, it has been extremely easy to have our various [having lived in several Continents of this world] Proof of Existence Certificates signed, sealed and dated at our local Mairie in order to maintain our pension payments.
As some of you know, we are now relocating to UK after 44 years absence, and need to know where these certificates can be signed in future. We pay nothing for this very friendly service : our friends in Switzerland however pay 30.-- per cert [phew!]. Can someone please point us in the right direction? TIA

Eglantine21 Tue 28-May-19 13:32:49

Ive never even heard of them. I’m intrigued.

All I’ve ever been asked for is a passport or driving licence.

And sometimes a utility bill.

Nonnie Tue 28-May-19 13:49:30

I think perhaps you could start with asking the DWP about your particular circumstances and what you need to do to get your pension in the UK. You need expert advice on this.

cornergran Tue 28-May-19 13:50:04

A friend obtains hers from her local council, evianers, I think the department that administers council tax. Initially they went with the request and explained in detail, now it’s just necessary to drop the form in which is signed and covered with all the official looking stamps that can be found. It’s never been queried. I guess a GP could also do it but suspect they would charge. Don’t worry, there will be a way around it.

MiniMoon Tue 28-May-19 13:52:05

I hope I've copied the address properly. This Age UK document might be helpful.

polyester57 Tue 28-May-19 14:15:36

My mother used to get hers signed by her GP, later on by the doctor on duty in the care home she was in. It seemed to work.

BlueBelle Tue 28-May-19 17:00:13

What is a proof of existence certificate ? Isn’t a birth certificate of passport proof of existence ?

trisher Tue 28-May-19 17:03:17

Never heard of these. It seems to be a bit surreal. I'm now wondering if I haven't got one am I really still here????

sodapop Tue 28-May-19 17:05:10

We have to do this too. I assumed it was purely because we were not UK residents.

trisher Tue 28-May-19 17:18:12

Sorry sodapop didn't mean to sound so dismissive. It sounds like an awful bit of red tape. Hope you get some help.

PamelaJ1 Tue 28-May-19 17:25:37

My mum has to have a certificate signed because she gets a pension from China.
China took over pension payments from the U.K. when the handover took place and it was part of the deal.
Her Dr. signs hers.

ninathenana Tue 28-May-19 17:26:26

Bluebelle it is proof that you are not diseased and therefore still entitled to your pensions.
BC and passport can't do that.
I too thought it was only necessary if you are not living in the UK. Seems I was wrong.

MawBroonsback Tue 28-May-19 17:48:10

Diseased nana?

But if you present such a certificate surely you are in existence!

jura2 Tue 28-May-19 17:51:24

In UK it is normally your GP or solicitor- but s/he needs to have known you for at least 3 years. There is normally a fee.

sodapop Tue 28-May-19 21:19:40

No problem trisher the local Maire completes the form and puts his official stamp on it so its not a big issue.
I didn't realise people in UK had to do it as well.

Bathsheba Tue 28-May-19 22:02:10

Never heard of 'em.

Mind you, I do think, so.....

Ginny42 Tue 28-May-19 22:39:36

I get a neighbour to sign to say I'm still alive and kicking. He's a professional person and it's been fine for a few years now.