Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Statins

(79 Posts)
Yas1 Fri 31-May-19 10:45:26

I am being told to go on statins because of high cholesterol and blood pressure even tho I am very active and slim with a healthy diet. I am 67 .....is anyone on them and are the side affects bad?

vivonce Sat 01-Jun-19 09:52:57

Rosina, several times, like your husband, I was tried on different statins and had side effects. About 25 years ago, enough was enough and I was given an alternative to statins - with the name Fenofibrate.
The only side effect is heartburn so I am on an antacid, along with medications (Thyroxine and Eliquis ) and have a steady low cholesterol count.

PamSJ1 Sat 01-Jun-19 09:58:58

I’m 54 and was put Atorvastatin when my cholesterol level went up with a hormone blocker I’m on following cancer. It’s done the job and I’ve no real side effects. Just bit occasional cramp which I’m prone to and that could be other meds. On BP tabs as well now as meds pushed it up

Redrobin51 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:05:58

I know several people who are on stations with inside effects. Unfortunately, I had terrible pains in my calves with the first three I tried but am able to tolerate the 4th at a low dose which is strong enough to bring my cholesterol down to an acceptable level. I have to be on them as there were heart problems in both sides of my family and I manage the familial type of high cholesterol which diet etc has no effect on. If the first doesn't suit do persevere but if yours is not inherited you might be able to bring it down with more exercise and a healthy diet as my friend did. Good luck whatever you decided.x

grannytotwins Sat 01-Jun-19 10:19:09

My husband and I have been taking the same one. I’m absolutely fine, but my husband is having a two month break, agreed with the GP, as he has had possible side effects. It takes three weeks to leave the body so we should see then if it’s the statins or not.

Jane10 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:25:17

At a recent eyesight test the optician said I had cholesterol deposits in my eyes. Yikes! I went to have blood tests. When the results came back my GP inputted the results from cholesterol test, blood sugar test, liver function test and blood pressure to a computer programme. She told me that if the algorhythm gave me a score of 20 or above she would start treatment. I scored 13. Phew! Not sure what it all meant but I left the surgery with a spring in my step.
The optician also thought I had raised intra ocular pressure. I had a horrible test for that but it was also normal. That sight test led to weeks of worry for me!

SparklyGrandma Sat 01-Jun-19 10:30:34

I tried them for a while but I had some side effects of achy arms and legs. It stopped me for few weeks being able to be as active.

For me, mobility and walking about trumps preventative medicine, so I stopped and discussed with my doctor why.

However, at least once a year it’s brought up again with me. I assume that there is a financial incentive for the GP practice to have many patients on statins.

allule Sat 01-Jun-19 10:31:11

My husband was told the weakness in his legs could be caused by statins, so we discussed it with the GP, and agreed he would watch diet, drink the cholesterol lowering drinks, and have a cholesterol test every year. It seems to be working.

Saggi Sat 01-Jun-19 10:36:10

Been on them for years Yas1 as I hade two strokes in my 30’s and 40’s..... I don’t get side effects with any drug , as far as I can tell, and I’m 68. Also take blood pressure medication. Don’t be worried and try NOT to anticipate a negative response, just see how it goes.

alig99 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:42:32

Just a thought I know you said you were on a good diet and healthy but if you are slightly overweight or more then losing some weight should mean you don't need to take stains...just a thought as I lost weight and don't need to take them now so long as I keep the weight off.?

Nanny123 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:51:15

I have been taking the for years and not experienced any side effects at all.

Hollycat Sat 01-Jun-19 11:30:28

My husband has been crippled by statins. They started him off with Pravastatin and that was OK for around 5 years. We moved house and the new doctor gave him Simvastatin which was going to be “more cost effective”. He suddenly found that he could not stand completely still, he had to keep moving to keep his balance. This gradually got worse and he was referred to a neurologist who after many tests determined it was his medication causing the problem. Doctors told my husband he would die if he stopped Simvastatin. I trawled the internet and presented our doctor with pages of evidence and he suddenly said - well try Benecol then. My husband’s cholesterol levels are amazing now, but the damage is done. He uses a mobility scooter and a walker. He suffers pain in his legs, fingers and arms and his eyesight is affected. Be careful if you take these. At the first sign of tingling, pins and needles, weakness, coldness in extremities - speak to the doctor. They are more aware now. Good luck!

ReadyMeals Sat 01-Jun-19 11:36:33

I have been advised to go on statins and have been given until my next review to decide. My main worry is that you're meant to look out for muscle pain as it can be a sign of a serious side effect. The problem is that I get a lot of muscle aches anyway and I am scared I wouldn't know the difference.

nipsmum Sat 01-Jun-19 12:17:33

I've been on Simvastatin for 20 years with no I'll effects. My blood levels are checked routinely every 6 months and i have never had problems with them. If you have strange effects please return to your Dr and get thing checked . Very few people suffer long term effects from taking Stations but many people suffer high blood pressure and strokes from not taking them.

hallgreenmiss Sat 01-Jun-19 13:18:29

I've been on statins for over 20 years and the only time I had any side effects was when they tried to put me on the cheapest version. I'm now on Atorvastatin which, although more expensive, does not appear to cause me any problem. OP, don't be fobbed off if the first ones tried don't suit you.

JANH Sat 01-Jun-19 13:34:09

I came off statins, with the Dr agreement, as I had terrible cramp that was not isolated to my legs. Although I am a diabetic, they thought is was safer to come off them.

Genevieve489 Sat 01-Jun-19 13:44:57

I was prescribed Simvastatin some years ago as my cholesterol level was then 7 and gradually rising. There are also heart problems in my family. Unfortunately, I did get muscle pains in my legs, so went back to the GP who tried me on Atorvastatin and I've had no side effects or problems at all since then. My cholesterol is now below 4.

Matelda Sat 01-Jun-19 13:52:57

I have found the statistics quoted in the book Too Many Pills by James Le Fanu very helpful in allowing me to make up my own mind. It seems that a few statin-takers will benefit health-wise, all are at risk of the side effects, of which the most common are muscle pain, memory loss and cognitive problems.

GrannyIris5 Sat 01-Jun-19 13:58:44

Husband was prescribed them a few years ago but they gave him terrible shoulder pain so he said no more.
Without cholesterol we would die, I wouldn’t take them if prescribed, some of these tablets are a big con by the manufacturer to fleece the NHS.

jura2 Sat 01-Jun-19 14:08:20

Perhaps we should also agree that some of the supposed side effects, are because people start statin at an age when aches and pains do happen. I had a terrible shoulder last year, very painful, very reduced movement, needing physio and lots ot TLC - I did not attribute it to Statins- for the good reason I don't take them. I don't take them before of my family history, my low cholesterol and good heart, despite having type 2 diabetes.

We also know some of the very proven side effects of refusing statins when one's family history, cholesterol and high BP indicate they would be helpful- in simple words, strokes and heart attacks.

vivonce Sat 01-Jun-19 14:16:52

Painful shoulders and arms can be part of Fybromyalgia. Also hands, collarbone, back , legs and toes...in fact 'seizing-up all over'. Plus indigestion.

Shelagh6 Sat 01-Jun-19 14:23:54

I’ve taken them for ages and have never had any side effects.

vivonce Sat 01-Jun-19 14:25:45

Footnote re widespread nerve pain. UK doctors still have some ignorance about Fybromyalgia , neurological affecting also muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints. They usually have no helpful prescription to offer. Whereas, in the USA, the widespread remedy is medicinal marijuana or cannabis, now that most states have legalised them for health-aid purposes. Mine began last year in my mid-seventies but younger people are usually affected. Maybe I should start a separate thread on the topic.

JacquiG Sat 01-Jun-19 15:11:56

New research suggests that statins should not be taken after age 75. GP keeps trying to push them on to me, but HDL is high, there are no heart problems, and not diabetic, so no.

GP bro in law came off them due to side effects and changed diet, instead. This worked.

You might want to consider improving diet to make sure you have all vitamins and trace elements. you might want to take CoQ10 as statins remove it.

J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2005;19(1):61-7.
Effect of statin therapy on serum trace element status in dyslipidaemic subjects.

statin treatment was associated with a significant reduction in mean serum zinc (9%, p = 0.03), copper (9%, p < 0.01), caeruloplasmin (24%, p < 0.05), and median CRP (45%, p < 0.03).

sandelf Sat 01-Jun-19 15:15:23

Is there ANYTHING else you can do do mitigate the problems. Cautionary tale:- Husband's birthday is New Year's Eve. So early in 2015 he is 70 and checked by Doc. High lipids - onto statins. (Bear in mind what our diets have been like through Christmas and New Year.) The statins turn a previously healthy and active man (keen naturalist and walker) into an anxious, achy, muscle wasting definitely old chap. It was very worrying - partic the muscle wastage - and still not truly better from that a couple of years on. Over the next months he tried several different ones - all disagreed with him and he just seemed an ill man. So he refused to take any more. After a period he had his blood fats measured again - lower. So - only have these tests when your diet has been normal - we think the first reading was elevated as so soon after 'the festivities'. He also changed from sponge pud and custard to yoghurt and fruit, and reduced the amount of cheese he eats. I do know there are people who have no trouble but I'd do everything else first. - Very relieved he is back to mad walks and photographing dragonflies!

sandelf Sat 01-Jun-19 15:16:42

Also - I second the benefits of Q10.