Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone else having this problem with hair dye?

(18 Posts)
sazz1 Sun 02-Jun-19 11:57:59

Have used N and Easy dye for years without any problems but they have now changed it to a tube of cream that you squeeze into a bottle and you have to shampoo your hair afterwards. I shampood twice used conditioner provided and rinsed really well each time but the dye still came out on my new white bathrobe and towel. Actually was rinsing for a good 10 mins but I'm gutted this still stained towel and bathrobe. I've also noticed it stains skin really badly too. Never had any problems with the old formula at all. Colour looks good and lasts well. So how can I get permanent dye out of a white towelling cotton bathrobe anyone know? Also I'm writing to the manufacturer to complain. Thanks.

Beammeupscottie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:04:37

When I dyed my own hair, I used the dog towels.

NotAGran55 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:16:43

I would try the hottest wash using Napisan .

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 12:20:48

Waitrose stain remover for whites (white tub) will get most things out in a hot white wash.

Nonnie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:28:10

Don't know the answer apart from bleach. I have a special towel for hair dying and even a house coat for the waiting time. Dislike going to the hairdresser so have always done my own but never had that happen.

jura2 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:28:49

No dye- no problem smile

sazz1 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:34:25

Ive never had it happen before either and have used same product for years. The formula changed to a tube of cream so I guess it's oil based. Really gutted as the bath robe was a birthday present from my daughter and v expensive

crazyH Sun 02-Jun-19 12:37:42

I use Polytint (scwarskof) permanent colour, dark brown. My hair grows ver fast, so I need to colour every 3 to 4 weeks. It's cheap and cheerful.

fizzers Sun 02-Jun-19 12:40:03

I have special hair dying towels and old hair dying dressing gowns. Perhaps try a mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, I find it excellent at removing stains

Liz46 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:40:21

I hate hair dye, maybe because my mother used to dye her hair black and eventually grew it out. It looked awful.

crazyH Sun 02-Jun-19 12:48:24

And now to answer your question......Vanish stain remover....excellent. To avoid staining your skin, apply Vaseline on the edges of your face .

M0nica Sun 02-Jun-19 15:18:44

I would never contemplate dying my hair while wearing anything good. As with others, I have a special towel for hair colouring, which I safety pin round my neck so that it protects my shoulders. As I usually do it before I have a bath, I am otherwise only wearing underwear and I take the bathroom rug and put it outside the door.

FlexibleFriend Sun 02-Jun-19 15:42:44

I keep an old t shirt and jeans to wear when dyeing my hair and use an old towel too. I wouldn't dream of having anything decent anywhere near hair dye. Even when I think I've washed every bit of dye off the basin from washing my hands after dyeing I still come back after 10 minutes and find bits I've missed.

FlexibleFriend Sun 02-Jun-19 15:44:05

If it's 100% cotton then a hot bleach wash should shift anything.

Millie22 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:35:29

I always use old towels for hair colour. All the white towels, bathmat and various other items I move as the whole process is so messy. I used to go to the hairdressers but it was getting too pricey every 6 weeks.

Simplelife Mon 10-Jun-19 03:40:19

Nice & Easy was Clairol which was sold to Coty. I used Natural Instincts forever. Same problem, coty changed the formulas as well as the packaging, grrrrr. Hopeless and washed out in no time. I went on the hunt and scored 10 boxes of my original colouring, Yay! Keep looking for the old packaging.

sazz1 Sat 15-Jun-19 23:36:24

Yes its the new formula. No problem ever before. Will try and find some of the old stuff for next time. I got the dye out of the dressing gown so all good. Thanks for all your sugestions xx

HeyTheree Mon 22-Jul-19 15:32:15

I use L'Oreal for roots and Garnier root creme. I'm also currently testing a concealer spray from this review. It should be a temporary solution before I get to dye my hair properly next month.