Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren 'Sleeping Over'

(65 Posts)
Lyndiloo Tue 11-Jun-19 02:52:41

My two grandchildren are going to sleep at our house for the very first time. We are very close, as they live nearby and we have always done a lot of childcare. Granddaughter is 5 and Grandson is nearly 3.

Both parents work full-time, and this arose because my daughter is getting very stressed lately. Our grandson is adopted and has been with us since November 2018. He is settling in nicely, and is such a good little boy, but I think my daughter is finding it really hard, having a busy job, and now the added pressure of another child. (It's what they both wanted, of course, and they are very grateful, but I think the extra work is just getting to her at the moment.) And neither child sleeps through the night every night. So for some nights throughout the week they have one or another child climbing into bed with them! smile

They asked if we could babysit one night a month (on 'payday') so that she and hubby could have a 'date-night' - just to get out of the house and spend some time alone, together. (We already do babysit now and then, when they go out with friends.)

It was my suggestion that they should being the kids to us for a 'sleepover', so that when they got home, they could have a good night's sleep - and wake-up whenever.

The grandchildren will have to sleep together in a double-bed (something they've never done before). I've thought of a stairgate and a dim light on the landing - so if one of them does get up, they will see where they are. I will leave their bedroom door and ours ajar. (Shut the cat in the kitchen, so that he won't be jumping on beds.)

Any other tips? (Feeling a bit apprehensive now.)

MawBroonsback Thu 13-Jun-19 15:38:37

I have a very sweet memory of DGS 2 aged perhaps 4 sitting on the top step of our stairs in the middle of the night, looking glum. On enquiring what was wrong he replied “I need a wee wee but I’ve lost the toilet”
Directed him and he hopped back into bed to my great relief (and no doubt his)

Anja Thu 13-Jun-19 15:15:01

They will doubtless be so hyped up by being in a double bed together that they will take ages to go to sleep, but hopefully will sleep like little logs after they do settle.

Baby gate and night light good ideas

Jaxie Thu 13-Jun-19 15:11:11

Check over any possible hazards in the bedroom. My granddaughter received a really nasty cut on the head when she fell out of a double bed and hit the edge of a bedside table. I put a thick bath mat on it now when she sleeps over.

ElaineI Wed 12-Jun-19 00:46:52

Agree with most above. Might not need stairgate if youngest 3 as should be ok on stairs at that age. Go to bed early yourselves as might be up for day at 5am onwards! Stick mostly to home routine when 5 and 3. Older GC can cope and get excited with treats better. Get copy of favourite DVD if possible - DGD would watch Frozen 6 times a day if she was allowed - aged 2 going on 5 like big brother! Obvs need their comforters and bedtime story books. What a lovely thing you are doing for your DD and SIL. And special for yourselves.

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 00:24:58

Babies sense/feel more than we realise. That's astonishing glammagran. I have not yet had my 6 month old overnight, but this is for sure. When I do have him for a few hours during the day, he is fine, no problem, but as soon as he sees his mum's face when she returns, he's like on a springboard to her ❤️

glammagran Tue 11-Jun-19 23:58:32

We looked after 9 month old DGD for first time overnight last Saturday. It was wonderful but VERY hard work. She was very upset at bedtime when she realised her parents weren’t returning. Next day she woke at 5:45 am ? but in an excellent mood. Parents returned at lunchtime. We were astonished that she decided she wasn’t going to let her mother cuddle her as “punishment” for the abandonment.

Sara65 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:48:21

We too have movie nights, sometimes takes a while to decide on the movie, but we get there in the end!

No chocolate to be consumed, too messy, so a drink and biscuits, all snuggled up in front of the fire on a big sofa, lovely!

In the winter we have Strictly Come Dancing nights, we all love that!

Mamma66 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:35:58

We have ours 7,5 and 3 every other weekend. Waterproof mattress protector, bedtime stories ideally until the’ e dropped off, nightlights, their teddy or comfort blanket and some new pjs with their favourite character on so that they are excited about getting ready for bed. Enjoy, I am sure it’ll be fine

Day6 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:12:45

I discovered, a bit late in the day, that any chocolate treats must be eaten mid afternoon at latest because the stimulant properties of chocolate (for a treat after supper) always kept them awake/lively.

So, choose 'treats' carefully.

We always have a 'movie night' as DGD calls it, and we sit and watch a film of her choosing before bed...or part of it, and the rest can be viewed at 6.30am (yawn!) when they wake up! Popcorn seems to be the best 'treat'and doesn't interfere with sleep.

A stair gate is a must. We have had half-asleep and bewildered DGC wandering around in the middle of the night. Ask your daughter about their bedtime routines too and try to emulate them. It helps.

It is tiring at first but now we always ask if we can have the DGC sleep over. I miss them when they go home.

Have fun and good luck!

grannyqueenie Tue 11-Jun-19 20:09:35

We’ve had all our 8 grandchildren, oldest now almost 17 for sleepovers since they were very small. Never all 8 at once, mind you! Yes there has been the occasional dreadful sleepover that involved playing “musical beds” for what felt like the whole night, but on the whole we’ve enjoyed doing it. I’m not naturally an early riser but grandpa is so he’d always do the breakfast shift! Now they’re all older and busy with their own activities, youngest is 10, it doesn’t happen so often. Reading the various comments on this thread makes me a bit nostalgic for those early morning wake ups, with a little face staring at me followed by a warm little body or 2 creeping into bed with me for a cuddle. Happy days, enjoy it while you can, Lyndiloo

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 20:06:24

Obviously not, Sara65!! hmm
Although most of us would smile

Then you wonder why some grandparents become estranged …..

Sara65 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:01:50

She’s just trying to help her daughter through a tough time Dillyduck, wouldn’t we all do the same?

Dillyduck Tue 11-Jun-19 19:48:44

Quite honestly, I think your daughter needs reminding that she CHOSE to have these children, and they are her responsibility. If the stress of them plus full time job is getting to her, then it's up to her to sort that out for herself. Either give up the job, reduce her hours, or find one that is more family friendly. Children are not designer handbags, they are little people who deserve to have a happy mummy. It's not fair getting you to do more and more. If they don't sleep all night, that's part of parenthood.

Kim19 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:14:58

I love having them to stay. One night, when I was having no success in getting them to stay in bed, I stood up said 'OK you two can please yourselves but I'm off to bed' switched all the lights off and carried on upstairs. The silence was ominous as I lay in bed and listened to them creep upstairs. Bingo! Another morning, when elder GD crept into my bed, I said sleepily 'It's only 0530' to which she matter-of-factly said 'well I didn't know that, did I?' How true. I just love their quirkiness and things I had forgotten. All wonderful. Hope you enjoy the experience as much as I do.

TheOldDear Tue 11-Jun-19 18:38:47

If they get frightened about a certain noise, try to make a game out of it. When my granddaughters were that age my mum was still alive so there was no spare bedroom (even for me) and they had to sleep downstairs next to an open-plan kitchen containing a self-defrosting fridge-freezer. When defrosting, it made loud cracking noises that had frightened one of the girls the first time she heard it. So we developed a little ritual whereby I would give the fridge a stiff talking to before they went down to sleep, wagging my finger at it and telling it in no uncertain terms to not make noises and frighten H––––. This usually ended up with her saying “Do it again, Grandma, do it again!”

trisher Tue 11-Jun-19 17:22:44

Be careful with midnight feasts when my first DS used to come and stay I follishly thought it would be fun to have a midnight feast if he woke up. Once I started we couldn't stop. He's too big now of course (16) and actually I miss it. He used to climb into my bed in the middle of the night when he slept badly.

Samiejb Tue 11-Jun-19 16:58:27

Recently had our two to stay for the first time - they were in a double bed and as we thought they would bump into each other during the night, we let them sleep the other way, shortways, if you like - this gave them plenty of moving room and they didn't wake each other. They brought their own duvets and they both seemed happy enough.

Only for younger children, of course, otherwise they will be too tall.

annemac101 Tue 11-Jun-19 15:51:19

I love it when my granddaughters have a sleepover. Like another poster said I too have their own set of pyjamas ,dressing gowns and toilet bag with toothbrush and facecloth. We have a fairy door on the skirting board and they write letters to the fairy and I have the joy of being the fairy who writes back to them. We have dispensed with a set bedtime as this is a treat, I tell lots of stories and when I leave they fall asleep quickly. If I try to put them to bed early they lie giggling and talking have the night. Just enjoy the experience that many grandmothers unfortunately never have.

Conker Tue 11-Jun-19 14:51:35

Lots of ideas ? I have night lights , mattress protectors . Each child has child their own bedding /blanket , a little storage box with some books and toys in and each has a bedtime Bear that stays at mine . I also have a good selection of story CD’s and they each have their own pj’s here and toiletry bag with chosen toothbrush and flannel ( home bargains & B&M’s are good for these items ) Have fun ?

Saggi Tue 11-Jun-19 14:37:22

Been having mine over since they were 5 months old.... but they all love a story . Luckily they’re of an age where they can go to bed at same time.... mine are 5 years apart. Bath... jammies..story time ( one for each). You might actually find they’ll sleep better in same bed. Mine have bunks and because if age discrepancy the youngest has to be asleep before the eldest climbs into bed. They will wake perhaps a few times in night but they will soon get used to the new routine .... you will get woken early, par for the course. But mostly try to enjoy it knowing you’re doing your daughter and son in law a big favour. They sound like they need your help and maybe as you get the hang of it you could do it more often.

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 14:37:13

They should be used to sleeping in a bed, so I would think the chairs are unnecessary and just an obstacle (an accident waiting to happen) if they want the loo in the night, or decide to have a wander.

mokryna Tue 11-Jun-19 14:35:37

Put chairs along the bed to stop fall-outs and a bolster down the centre, have a night light and keep the loo light on also with the door just ajar. Read a story or two and be prepared to sit in the room until they fall asleep.

Curlywhirly Tue 11-Jun-19 14:31:41

We have had our 5 year old granddaughter stay many times (and now also our 1 year old grandson, who obviously is still in a cot) she doesn't like sleeping in our spare double bed alone (even though she sleeps in a double at home!) so she sleeps with me and grandad goes in the spare room. Works for us at the moment. Be prepared to sleep very little, as you are listening out for them throughout the night! They might also wake you up very early, but you know it's only one night and can easily catch up on sleep when they have gone home. I can't believe how exhausting looking after grandchildren can be; I'm a really busy type, never still, have loads of energy, but looking after our two just completely wears me out! Still, wouldn't have it any other way - the pluses far outweight the minuses, they just bring you so much joy.

granbabies123 Tue 11-Jun-19 14:10:33

You are going to have a lovely time. I found that my grandchildren after a busy exciting day, bath, supper and story time slept well and what a joy to hear giggles at the door in the morning as they were trying to persuade each other to step in and wake us.
All too soon they grow up and become teenagers . Lovely memories making pancakes for breakfast .

dizzygran Tue 11-Jun-19 13:53:33

Good luck and enjoy. I always leave the bathroom light on and had a stairgate when they were younger. I also had an alarm so I could hear them if they cried. Be prepared for an early morning wake up call. Have fun = children love planning their breakfasts.