Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Moving in gift

(43 Posts)
Lindylou23 Wed 12-Jun-19 23:10:17

We are visiting friends who have built a new home and are staying with them this weekend, any suggestions what I could give them? It will need to be small as we are flying and only have hand luggage. We will of course treat them to a meal. Or maybe have a bouquet deliverd when we leave, your thoughts please.

ayokunmi1 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:57:50

Go take them for a meal come back and get the gift as you might have an idea on what is needed failing that get some luxurious hand wash and cream for their on suite
Some lovely teas biscuits wouldnt go amiss

Mimidl Fri 14-Jun-19 11:42:21

*Rose bush ?

Mimidl Fri 14-Jun-19 11:41:46

If it were me, I would have a ride bush named after them, or perhaps after the new house or town and the company will deliver it to them.
I’ve ordered a few and they are beautiful.

www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/shop/31-Name-Your-Own-Rose

FC61 Fri 14-Jun-19 11:03:56

Seagull Studio Prints on EBay do 16 beautiful botanical prints for £7.95. My mum was thrilled with them because they will go in her suitcase for her flat abroad . They need framing but they can choose frames to suit their style.

Applegran Fri 14-Jun-19 10:38:34

If they are in the UK you can get an Ordinance Survey map with their home in the middle - and I've given these as house warming gifts and the recipients have been clearly delighted. You can get different scales - I've chosen large scale, so they can see, in detail, the area around them, but a smaller scale would be good too. If you go to the Ordinance Survey on line it is quite easy to do. You can give it your own choice of name and send a photo to go on the front - which could be of the new house, if you have one, or of the couple themselves.

crystaltipps Fri 14-Jun-19 06:54:02

When we visit relatives abroad we go to Liberty’s or the V and A and buy some small gift items like a liberty print shopping bag which is easily stashed in our case. Whilst staying with them we take them out to their local garden centre and we help them choose something they’d like for their garden( which we pay for). This makes an enjoyable afternoon and we enjoy seeing the different local plants.

4allweknow Fri 14-Jun-19 01:33:03

How about a little but quality photo frame. Won't take up a lot of space for packing.

Lindylou23 Thu 13-Jun-19 23:17:54

Thank you all for the brilliant and different suggestions, plenty of ideas to choose from.

agnurse Thu 13-Jun-19 22:45:40

Emphasis on the "small".

agnurse Thu 13-Jun-19 22:45:29

I think a gift voucher would be lovely.

If you sew, you might also do a small cross stitch or embroidery that says "Home Sweet Home" or something similar.

aggie Thu 13-Jun-19 22:17:45

I moved here over a year ago and was taken aback to receive "New Home " gifts , especially as I was mega downsizing and hadn't room for ornaments . The one I did like was an Azalea bush , I planted where I can see it from where I sit

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Jun-19 22:08:47

No offence taken Grammaretto - I might have suggested a linen tablecloth years ago but so little used these days it seems.

EmilyHarburn Thu 13-Jun-19 19:11:20

You might be able to buy something on duty free on the air craft including something personal for your hostess.

BrandyButter Thu 13-Jun-19 16:41:47

An ariel view photo of their house, you get them online and either frame it or let them choose their own frame smile

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 16:35:14

Sorry Spaghetti no offence meant. I often give linen teatowels but usually when I stay with someone not as a house warming gift.
Presumably the OP knows what these folk like and will choose accordingly.

Kittye Thu 13-Jun-19 16:33:23

If they have moved into a new home I would definitely consider garden centre vouchers. They could choose a shrub to remind them of your visit and hopefully it would be there for you all to admire on any subsequent visits.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Jun-19 16:24:02

Ha ha Grammaretto - I LOVE linen and wouldn’t thank you for your hedgehog - well, obviously I would thank you and probably would laugh about it (if we were good friends I’d like to think we’d laugh together)...

But I’ve also given maps as housewarming gifts, both antique and new which have been well received.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 16:21:50

www.oldmap.co.uk/
maybe a better one

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 16:17:01

Dishtowels? how terribly unromantic.
Something fun and frivolous would be far better and they'd remember you.
If you don't like my hedgehog then some music they can both enjoy.
Though no one except me plays their own music these days . It's all streamed. LPs are supposed to be coming back....
I gave someone an old map of their area for a HW present. They were thrilled. It was so pretty. You can get them online from
www.oldmapsonline.org/

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Jun-19 16:02:34

Depending where you are from, I’d take something hand-woven from your local area, maybe a throw or cushion cover - or some Irish linen as suggested above. Maybe pure linen glass towels or napkins.
My recent purchase was from Thomas Ferguson- but you can find others through the guild:
irishlinen.co.uk/

Davida1968 Thu 13-Jun-19 15:50:17

Thanks for this, HazelGreen. I didn't know about Ulster Weavers. Oh dear, another disappointment; it seems almost impossible to buy British-made gifts any more.

HazelGreen Thu 13-Jun-19 15:43:25

I hate to tell you that the Ulster Weavers linen teatowels are no longer made in Northern Ireland but China... and sadly the linen is grown there too. I followed this up a few years ago as had bought a batch when they reappeared after an absence. On close examination the label on the town says made in China but the cardboard info tag has 'by appointment to her maj etc" Apparantly they are still designed in Northern Ireland hence can make that claim. The designs were as lovely as old ones but quality definitely inferior. Only place I have seen decent 100% linen is Australia by firm Rodriquez.

Tillybelle Thu 13-Jun-19 15:01:42

I may be unimaginative, but I usually take something unbreakable such as table linen. I try to find something reminiscent of the area I live in although tea-towels maybe are too ordinary! I do sometimes give them with something else as my little city has lovely ones! I also give tea if it is permitted past customs. Although breakable, I have given teapots to some people who love English round ones.

Davida1968 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:26:38

Or tea towels? (The lovely Irish linen ones; Ulster Weavers - I think they're made in Northern Ireland.) So many gorgeous designs and made in the UK. Very easy to pack!

Hm999 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:51:36

I like a fragrant climbing rose rather than a bouquet, it doesn't need much room and lasts forever.

If you're flying, are they abroad? Something very English? Or something to remind them of their old home/area?