Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DVLA

(10 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sat 22-Jun-19 01:30:27

I recently collected a new printer , previously ordered and paid for online.

When I got to the store, they asked for ID, after I'd produced the confirmation e-mail they'd sent and advised me to take as ID.

'No, that's not enough,' the callow youth told me, 'we need photo ID.'
To collect a printer?! confused
'Do you have a driver's licence?' He asked. I don't drive.
'Your passport then?' Sorry, no.
And no notification on the confirmation email that this would be required.

Fortunately I remembered I did have my rarely used Total Mobility card which has my photo and entitles me to 50% off taxi fares.
Callow Youth looked at it doubtfully, 'We really need a passport or drivers licence.'
Me: 'Doesn't that photo look like me?'
'Er, yes.'
'Is it my name on the card?'
'Er, yes.'
'And the same one as on the confirmation invoice.'
He nodded.
'So what's the problem?'
'It's just company policy to insist on a driver's licence or passport.'

By this time I was feeling so sorry for the poor beggar I wanted to tell him to find a job where he was actually allowed to use his brain.
Me: 'No problem, you keep the printer and I'll write and ask for a refund.'
I turned away.

'OK, I'll let you take it but next time you buy something from us.....'
I picked up the printer and was already shaking my head and walking away, 'There won't be a next time.'

What a performance!

And online forms which require you to put in so much detail, including multiple numbers from (for instance) Premium Bonds) but the form has a 'time out' facility which ensures you can't.
angry

Goblinsattackin Fri 21-Jun-19 22:12:48

it sounds like the Verify thing I did when trying to check my tax. It's a faff first time but it makes any repeat visits straightforward.

Greenfinch Fri 21-Jun-19 21:33:16

Devorgilla I had exactly the same experience as you when I tried to notify the DVLA of my sleep apnoea. I ,too, ran off the form and am in the process of filling it in right now.

Lazigirl Fri 21-Jun-19 21:22:15

I've just renewed my driving licence on line and to verify my identity just gave passport number and NI number. They didn't ask for anything else. I received the driving licence through the post today, and it looks such a poor faded facsimile which is hardly legible, that you'd think that I'd photocopied it myself. At least you can't see my photograph very clearly!

Devorgilla Fri 21-Jun-19 21:04:48

Thank you for your replies. I think it was the genuine site. I was just taken aback I was asked so early in the process before I had really entered any info. No payment was mentioned. Indeed, informing them of this condition is free and so stated. I would have instantly been more suspicious if money had been mentioned by the digital sites. I think you are right B9exchange, an attempt to link all our data. It will take them longer to process my form manually but no great hardship to me.

Pittcity Fri 21-Jun-19 17:18:17

These are digital verifying sites that the government uses. You sign up for one and use that every time. That's the theory anyway.

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 17:06:12

Some sites look official, but aren't! They try to get you to pay for services that should be free.

Any official site for this sort of service should have a web address that ends ".gov.uk"

Check the one that you were trying to use.

B9exchange Fri 21-Jun-19 15:44:52

Our dear Government is determined to build a vast database linking all our data, which of course they will look after with their usual rigour!

Currently NI number, driving licence, MOT, bank details, passport being collected and linked, so far not the NHS, but don't hold your breath! grin

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 15:41:27

Can't you get the GP to write a letter then you can send the DVLA a copy of it ? It used to be about £15 for this service.

Devorgilla Fri 21-Jun-19 15:20:42

I went on this site today to update my details re my recently implanted Pacemaker. It's a £1000 fine if you don't inform them. All well and good until I got to the bit about verifying my identity when I was directed to a page with names like Barclays, Experian etc on it. I was invited to choose one and presumably fill in my details etc so this outside body could verify me. None of the suggested sites were ones I deal with but all reputable names. I didn't have to do this when I paid my car tax or renewed my licence. In the end I ran off the form and filled that in instead which seemed to require far less identification and certainly nothing tied to anything finacial. My question is if anyone else has had experience of this on the DVLA site. I am very cautious about filling in such details if never asked before. I do know a lot of places are tightening up because of scammers and identity fraud. Just curious.