Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

slippery floor!

(18 Posts)
vicky108 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:13:51

Hi all, any advice would be great. My daughter and family are moving to a lovely new house - but I feel worried as it has a large kitchen that has quarry tiles which are very slippery. I am recently widowed and live on my own, and I am getting so concerned about having a fall in their kitchen, while I am playing with my lovely yong grandchildren. Does anyone have any good ideas about either non slippery shoes I can wear, or some way of treating the tiles? These floors are so common now I can't believe it hasn't been a problem for others too. Thanks.

crazyH Sun 23-Jun-19 20:23:16

My son has awfully, slippery kitchen floors and there are 2 similar steps going to the loo. I take my life in my hands when I visit. I use one of those 'loafer ' type slipons, which have a ridged under sole. But I am still very careful when I walk. Or you could try walking bare feet, but it will be quite cold.
As for treating the tiles, I don't know? I only know of polishing the tiles, but not any form of treatment to prevent slipping.

SpringyChicken Sun 23-Jun-19 20:33:49

Moshulu ballerina slippers have very grippy flexible rubber soles. Highly recommended.

sharon103 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:39:20

You can buy 'slipper socks' adult size and childrens size from any stores or online, Amazon etc they have lots if little rubbery circles underneath that grip the floor. They don't come off in the was either.

sharon103 Sun 23-Jun-19 20:40:05

oops, should say wash not was

vicky108 Sun 23-Jun-19 22:06:34

Thank you so much everyone - very helpful - I will feel better about visiting if I get some good slippers - I will look up the ballerina slippers. And the slipper socks. Also, yes bare feet might be a good option - better than worrying about falling over!

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 22:10:37

My kitchen is quarry tiled and not at all slippery as the tiles have a naturally rough surface that inhibits slipping.

However we have wood floors in the rest of the house that are slippery, I wear shoes with firm rubber soles and have not had an accident in 22 years.

BradfordLass72 Mon 24-Jun-19 06:22:57

I can vouch for the slipper socks as I was given some during my recent hospital stay and they grip like anything. smile

vicky108 Mon 24-Jun-19 09:56:47

Thank you!

annodomini Mon 24-Jun-19 10:25:55

I find that both Skechers and Hotter shoes have good grips. I have slippery wooden steps in my garden and find these shoes work well.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-Jun-19 10:37:00

Buy some Crocs and keep them at their house. They make great house shoes.

agnurse Mon 24-Jun-19 19:05:11

This may sound odd, but I'm serious. Maybe go to a local care home and observe the residents' footwear or ask the staff what they would recommend.

People in care facilities are at especially high risk of falls as many are unsteady. Consequently they will know good shoes. Hubby loves his "old man" slippers I bought for him, using this principle (I used to work as a nurse in a care home).

Pantglas1 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:57:06

I have tiled floors bathroom, kitchen and conservatory and wooden floors in lounge and bedrooms and find rubber dotted socks in winter and bare feet in summer perfectly adequate.

MiniMoon Mon 24-Jun-19 20:07:33

Sketches do a range call Bob's. I currently have a pair of their slippers. They have thick rubber soles, you can wear them outside too.

Grammaretto Mon 24-Jun-19 20:15:49

ooh no not crocs. I can't tell you how many times I've slipped in mine.
I agree that Hotter have good soles and some of the felted wool slip-ons won't slip.
Slippers that are non slip! sounds wrong.

blondenana Mon 24-Jun-19 20:48:16

I recently bought some shoes from Matalan with rubber soles they are really good for grip, only 9-98 in the sales .slip on but good fitting not flimsy,,and the most comfortable shoes i have ever had,i have awkward feet

vicky108 Mon 24-Jun-19 22:52:03

Thank you for all the very useful information.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 08:17:32

Mahabis are your friend. They're quite pricey but they last and last, and have non-slip soles mahabis.com/collections/slippers