Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Accessible new automatic car

(10 Posts)
Lizzies Sat 06-Jul-19 11:18:38

First a bit of background. I learned to drive late and was always nervous. I gave up after a van driver rear ended me. When DH had his stroke 15 years ago I briefly drove our small Peugeot. Last year DH was diagnosed with cancer and has undergone treatment. He has managed to drive himself to and from hospital which is in the nearest big city about 20 miles away. Until last week when we went to get his latest scan results and they kept him in because they found an infection and he had a temperature. The car, an Isuzu Denver pickup, was in the hospital car park and although I am insured to drive it, NO WAY! I have been saying that as he is not working we should get a small automatic car that I can drive in case of emergencies. The trouble is we need one that he can get into as he has a prosthetic leg. Any suggestions Grans? Sorry for such a long post.

HildaW Sat 06-Jul-19 12:00:51

Lizzies, I was also a late nervous driver so learnt on an automatic and also had to drive DH around when he had a recent health scare - its all too much worry when you are not the most confident driver so I do empathise. Thankfully DH has always preferred automatics too....lots of driving when he was working.
We have an automatic Honda Jazz, its small yet copes with most of life's needs....trips to the tip, even the odd bit of furniture from Ikea! We are both tall so there is plenty of leg room....no idea about your particular need however.
Good luck...and you have reminded me that I really do need to do a bit of driving to keep up my skills...we have recently moved to a more urban area and I keep coming up with excuses not to drive!

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:05:33

Could the limbless association help with advice? Or your local prosthetic centre?

crazyH Sat 06-Jul-19 12:07:07

I will agree with Hilda / I had a Honda jazz auto - little car with so much space

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jul-19 12:17:00

What about a compact SUV? I drive our Vauxhall Mokka, it looks big, but isn't on the inside, maybe that's because it's quite high off the ground. I like it for the easy of getting in and out with my dodgy knee.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Jul-19 12:18:06

The Big Event goes on all summer throughout the country, you can go along and view and actually test drive dozens of vehicles .

It’s run by Motability but you don’t have to be a user to go along . I found it very useful . I drive an automatic but I think mine would be too big for you because it has to fit a hoist and scooter in it but look at the SEAT range, they are nice vehicles with all the required bells and whistles and not all are as big as my Alhambra.

[https://www.motability.co.uk/news-views-and-events/one-big-day/]

shysal Sat 06-Jul-19 13:14:02

Another Honda Jazz fan here. I have RA and have no problem getting in and out. The driver's seat is higher than some similar sized cars. The automatic transmission is very smooth and you will never stall the car or find yourself in the wrong gear at a junction!
I was anxious changing to an automatic, but as soon as I drove off the garage forecast I took to it like a duck to water.
I hope you find something to suit.

Lizzies Sat 06-Jul-19 13:22:00

Thank you so much for this information. There is actually an event in our town and I would not have known about it without you.

LadyGracie Sat 06-Jul-19 16:50:31

We’ve an Hyundai ix20 automatic, easy to get in and out of, great fuel consumption, very comfortable seating and lovely to drive, very reasonable cost too.

Davida1968 Sat 06-Jul-19 16:56:54

I strongly advise buying an automatic, whatever model you choose. So much easier to drive! I have a female relative who learned to drive in her 60s - on an automatic - because her husband was unwell. (No way was she ever going to manage a "gears" car!) Now widowed, and in her 80s, she is still able to drive about locally. For her this has been (and continues to be) a life-line