Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

title deeds

(15 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Jul-19 19:53:09

Just cabbages, Beechnut? How bizarre! grin

RosieLeah Tue 23-Jul-19 18:51:14

I kept the title deeds to our house in my possession. I knew that I would divorce my husband in the near future and I wanted to make sure he couldn't delay the process. When the time came, he was rather shocked at how devious I had been, but it meant the house was sold quickly and I got what I was entitled to.

Beechnut Tue 23-Jul-19 17:54:37

Maggiemaybe, we mustn’t grow cabbages in the front garden !

Alexa Tue 23-Jul-19 17:11:03

Thanks , Grans, for the reassuring advice

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Jul-19 16:16:08

A friend’s deeds for her little terrace house stipulate that she can’t brew beer or make candles in the cellar. grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Jul-19 16:12:44

Ours too, J52. At one stage our whole street was owned by a wealthy local businessman. When he died he left it in equal shares to his ten or so grandchildren. It was intriguing to see how their paths in life differed. One was a joiner, one a plumber, one a lawyer, one lived in a French chateau and another was a Lady.

J52 Tue 23-Jul-19 15:30:28

Although they are all registered digitally, we were given the original deeds for our house, by the previous owner. It’s an old property and the deeds are very interesting to read.

vena11 Tue 23-Jul-19 15:07:10

Its all done on a register now no one gets a copy anymore

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Jul-19 14:16:39

Yes, many paper deeds are now being destroyed. Our local history society is asking people to let them have access to them first for the useful information they often contain. I’d keep ours for the beautiful handwriting alone!

PamelaJ1 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:57:56

Annsixty, and mumofmadboys., you are right.
We’ve just paid off our mortgage and if we want a copy of the deeds we have to go online or give them a ring if you want a hard copy.

mumofmadboys Tue 23-Jul-19 13:18:09

Written ones are no longer important. They are now digital. This is what I understand anyway

Elegran Tue 23-Jul-19 13:01:38

If you would like to be certain they are still there and still OK, then write to the lawyer saying that you are tidying up your papers and would like to confirm that your title deeds are still with them, or something similar. You could file their reply with your will and other papers.

annsixty Tue 23-Jul-19 12:57:52

I think that they are not as important as they once were.
Everything is registered with Land Registry now.
I think this is correct.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 12:41:02

Nothing has changed has it so I would leave them where they are.

Alexa Tue 23-Jul-19 11:47:20

Where is the best place to store them? Mine have been with the lawyer who arranged the purchase of my house about twenty years ago and I have never checked up on them. Is this okay?