Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to buy grandsons

(63 Posts)
iamali1 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:53:56

I have twin grandsons and would like to buy them something each year along with a personalised letter which I plan to give them when they are 18 (I do this for my granddaughter) but have no idea what to put aside for them in their box. I have jewelry for my granddaughter, but that doesnt seem always appropriate as there will be only so much a boy can wear/use?

leyla Mon 29-Jul-19 10:59:07

Depends how much you want to spend. A nice pen. Ditto pencil. Dice. Playing cards. Smart key fob. Lapel and/or button pins. Leather bound notebook. Comics. Stamps. Model car. Model figure (e.g soldier/super hero) or small bronze model. Shot glass. Swiss Army knife. Binoculars. Leather jewellery/wrist band (Fossil make nice ones).

Bathsheba Mon 29-Jul-19 10:35:05

That's one of the best ideas Gonegirl. And you could always buy 2 of each copy and give one to them now - well, for as long as they're interested of course - and they'd get a kick out of seeing them all over again when they're all grown up eighteen.

Lessismore Mon 29-Jul-19 10:25:02

A load of ale , a shed load of money to waste and some condoms.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 10:24:17

You could buy them on-going Beanos, or other comics. Put them in a folder. At eighteen they would probably love them.
Although I guess they would wonder why you hadn't given them to them all along.

notanan2 Mon 29-Jul-19 10:21:47

The newpaper thing is obsolete now anyway since you can view the news on X day in the past online.

When I was younger there was no way to see the news on the day you were born unless either someone saved it for you or your trawled through reels at the library. And even then it wad only briefly intetesting, and once you'ld read it you'ld read it...

notanan2 Mon 29-Jul-19 10:17:36

Premium Bonds now it’s dropped to £25 although it is a faff buying them. Wish they’d make it easier!

You can do it on internet banking. Just set up a yearly standing order

crystaltipps Mon 29-Jul-19 07:35:19

I’m with the money - yes, stuff no camp. I guess gold, diamonds etc will always be sellable, but why take the risk?

Newquay Mon 29-Jul-19 07:25:09

Funnily enough, quite recently, I decided DH and I would no longer buy gifts-toys/clothes-for our 6 DGC. Instead, on birthdays and at Christmas, as others have said we’re going to buy them Premium Bonds now it’s dropped to £25 although it is a faff buying them. Wish they’d make it easier!

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 03:10:29

I really don't know why some of you are suggesting stuff like a newspaper for every birthday for 18 years. Can you imagine an 18yr old reading 18 year old papers...yellowed with age?
Technology is their interest but tech as it will be circa 2037.
Put money in a 5% savings account for a year and keep moving it every 12 months to get the best rates or, as others have said, premium bonds.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 02:52:04

Whisky glasses or cufflinks at 18? Haha

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 02:47:55

In 18 years whatever you buy may be deemed old fashioned/dated.
You have no idea whether your GD will like earrings, bracelets, necklaces or rings and your choices may not be hers.
Likewise, with your GS and you have less choice as men, especially young men aren't really into jewellery...not even watches.
Why not put money away and they can buy what they prefer?

gransal Mon 29-Jul-19 00:33:03

I'm afraid mine would prefer cold hard cash. 20yr old got driving lessons on his 17th and car deposit on his 18th. the thing I did give him was his dad's ST. Christopher medal when he passed his driving test. The rest of them will all get the same.

Val18 Sun 28-Jul-19 23:09:40

£10 a year + interest, accessed at age 18, could pay for driving lessons or something else they would really like.

2mason16 Sun 28-Jul-19 21:43:29

A gift my 9 yr old grandson loved - I printed a photo book featuring him through-out the past year enjoying holidays, birthdays and times out with us.

notanan2 Sun 28-Jul-19 18:34:54

But thats good suzied
A uses gift is a liked gift.
No point keeping things "for best". For best either never happens, or if it does, those "for best" things you put away for years are either moth eaten, mouldy, out if style or ill fitting

SpringyChicken Sun 28-Jul-19 17:53:00

Most gifts would be considered ghastly by youngsters. My daughter’s taste in jewellery is far removed from mine, let alone her grandmother’s. My son wouldn’t have use for cuff links, he’ll wear a formal shirt to the occasional wedding and cuff links often come with the shirts now if they have that type of cuff. (Often they don’t). I don’t mean to be negative but maybe the whole idea needs a rethink.

suzied Sun 28-Jul-19 17:43:29

I spent months making a patchwork quilt out of one of my daughters's old clothes with lots of appliqué of her life etc and gave it to her for her 18th birthday - it soon got trashed, used at festivals, parties and got lost somewhere in one of her moves. Now she says she wishes she had looked after it - I should've made it for her 40th, then she would have appreciated it.

notanan2 Sun 28-Jul-19 17:36:19

& these days things like attics and garages are increasingly a luxury. Your average young person is unlikely to be able to afford a home with room for "memory boxes" etc.

Storage space comes at a premium these days. I dont think you'll be thanked for giving them more stuff to store.

suzied Sun 28-Jul-19 17:35:29

You can't go wrong with cash Im afraid. I dont think many 18 year olds will want a load of "stuff". What would they do with 18 teddy bears - sell them?

notanan2 Sun 28-Jul-19 17:31:06

The thing about keepsakes is that I only keep things that are associated with a memory. I box of "collectables" or "memories" that someone else collected are their memories not mine.

Overthehills Sun 28-Jul-19 17:10:45

What BlueBelle said expresses my thoughts exactly.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jul-19 17:01:21

I must have read this thread wrong you are all giving big ideas I thought the poster just wanted a small thing as a momento to add to the box each year and then give them the box when they are 18 with 18 small things in

I m not at all sure a kid of this generation will be interested in the things we think they will be, I have a great stamp collection and first day cover collection that I would offer to any of my grandkids, but none are interested in anything other than technology really I gave one of mine at 18 a ring from her great grandma on a chain (amongst other things) but I doubt if she even knows where it is now This generation don’t seem to have the same interest and value in old possessions as we have
Anyway I hope you find something to work with out of these answers

Steph5108 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:19:32

Since the day my 4 grandchildren were born, we bought them all NSI children’s bonds for all occasions and when they reached 17, and cashed them in, they were able to buy a second hand car each. A couple of them wanted a slightly newer car, so we ended up buying ‘half a car’, with their parents helping them with the other half?. Best thing we ever did and to see the look on their faces was priceless!

Minniemoo Sun 28-Jul-19 16:11:23

Oh yes, NotSpaghetti. The things we do to show our love may not have the effect we're hoping for. Friend of mine took his son to buy a guitar. His father had done this for him and it's a golden memory for him. However, the young man was overheard saying he didn't want a flaming guitar. I hate to say this but money always goes down well. A keepsake could just be a photo of the three of you which will cause amusement over the years. Especially if you're all in the same position. It's been done to death on the Internet but will raise a smile with those featured. I'd have thought. Good luck anyway!

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-Jul-19 16:10:32

It might be a better idea to buy a brand new toy of the sort they want for their birthday each year - then at least when they are given them all those years later, pristine in their packets, with your letters, they will at least have some love for their memory of playing with it.