10000steps

kircubbin2000 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:11:57

My friend who is slim,70s,has been doing 10000 steps every day sometimes in 2 walks.After an illness I have put on about 3 stone due to not getting out. I am now starting to try and get fit,just done 5000 and am exhausted. Any ideas? Am I doing too much too soon? I don't want to go to a slimming group.

ginny Mon 12-Aug-19 13:15:39

Best to start gradually and build up in any new exercise.
Exercise will help you tone up and feel fitter and more energetic. Sadly , you will need to do much more if you want to lose any significant amount of weight without changing your eating habits.

silverlining48 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:43:29

10000 is manageable unless you have mobility problems , I have done nearly that much just being at home ( but keeping on the move) and garden. Yesterday on a walk did 17000. Am 3 stone overweight by the way.
It’s easy to do 5000 at a time, but you need to work up to it. Start out walking 20 minutes then 30, 45 and so on. Wear sensible shoes.
It’s probably easier just to cut down on the food you know to avoid but walking is good fir you. It starts with one step, don’t give up. Why not go with your friend?

silverlining48 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:45:17

Should say I have done virtually nothing today....

silverlining48 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:46:28

And have eaten chocolate and 2 packets of haribos ...

MiniMoon Mon 12-Aug-19 14:06:25

Why not try the Active 10 excercise. Three strenuous walks of ten minute duration. Even I can manage that. I've just started doing it.
Here's an article about it

shysal Mon 12-Aug-19 14:12:14

It will take you a while to work up to 10.000 steps but you will soon get there. Unfortunately I agree with those who say walking alone will not do the trick.

If you want a change I can recommend this DVD to make up some of your steps. I bought it from Amazon.

Good luck!

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 14:24:35

10,000 steps is a long distance and not something to just be achieved in a day.

Anyone of any age, coming to exercise for the first time, will find it a struggle. DH having had a bit of a medical shock; a diagnosis of sleep apnea and official 'advice' from the doctor not to drive until it is dealt with, is finally coming to grips with his excess weight and lack of exercise. The first time he walked the bare half mile to the newsagent and back to collect the papers, he almost collapsed from the effort. Now he can do it quite easily and is planning to gently phase in more exercise, but note the phrase gently phase in.

You cannot go from nothing to running marathons in a day. I am quite fit and active, but a couple of years ago I hurt my back and was inactive for three months. I was shocked when I resumed my usual daily walk to find, that after 2 walks on 2 days I had to take the third day off to recover. It took me over a month to reach the daily level I had taken as normal only a few months earlier.

You will need to adjust your food intake to lose those three stone, exercise alone will not be enough, but there are a whole range of diet threads on the Forum pages discussing all sorts of approaches to losing weight. It doesn't have to be a slimming club.

kircubbin2000 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:45:18

I do go with my friend sometimes although she walks very quickly . I sometimes feel I am holding her back. She usually continues when I go home.

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 14:50:18

You are off to a good start. Just take your time and do not exhaust yourself. You will get there

MiniMoon Mon 12-Aug-19 15:15:38

I downloaded the Active 10 app to my phone. Went for a brisk walk, and when I got home I checked it. 21 minutes walking time, 19 brisk. Will make that do for that do for the first time, I'll do two tomorrow.

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 15:42:56

I agree with those who say you need to work up to it and also cut down your food intake.

I heard that it is not really the number of steps buy how fast you walk them. Meandering is not going to help very much. I also heard that 3 x 20 minutes aerobic exercise a week does a better job. There are days when I certainly wouldn't be able to walk 10,000 because I would be doing other things so if I set that target I would certainly fail. However fitting in 20 minutes 3 times a week seems far more achievable.

Good luck whatever you do.

wildswan16 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:48:11

If you do 5000 steps at a reasonably brisk pace, that is much better than 10,000 wandering along. There is nothing magical about 10,000 - it was a random number thought up by someone in Japan trying to sell pedometers I believe.

Cut down your calories, no cheating, and just keep as active as you can. It will get easier. Little and often works just as well as a two hour hike.

NanTheWiser Mon 12-Aug-19 17:22:08

10,000 steps has been debunked - www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/five-health-myths-to-ignore-this-year/, as long as you are reasonably active, there's no need to do 10,000 steps a day.
If you want to lose weight, diet is far more important, exercise only contributes 20% to weight loss.
Low carb, high fat eating really is the easiest way to lose weight and regulate your blood glucose levels, and insulin response.