Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Slippers!

(107 Posts)
kittylester Sat 07-Sep-19 18:41:13

I usually wear M&S mules with memory foam support but they dont last, we have a lot of stairs, and I'm 70 now!!

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:49:14

Carpets so bare feet till I was 62. Broke 2 toes (separate occasions) on coffee table, then stool leg. Didn't put me off - love being bare footed.

Moved. Tiled floor throughout. Used to wear a pair of outdoor shoes all the time because I need to step outside most evenings - off to log store. Mules too dangerous. I take a 9 so limit range in shops and online.

Bought a pair of bootie style ones from Hotter in the sale 1/2 price. Wish I'd bought 2 pairs now. They're brilliant.

Looked the Moshulu site. Lovely but very limited range of size 9.

Auntieflo Tue 10-Sep-19 19:45:12

I have found a pair that I can wear as indoor shoes.

Davida1968 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:42:45

Truddles, what an odd comment! Surely wearing slippers (or indoor shoes) by anyone is about comfort, warmth and safety - and for keeping your feet healthy? Loads online about this, e.g.
www.footfiles.com/wellness/relaxation/article/6-convincing-reasons-to-wear-slippers

Cindersdad Mon 09-Sep-19 18:30:35

I use Velcro fasten trainer type Hotter shoes which I keep for indoor only. Slippers I find unsafe.

AlexG Mon 09-Sep-19 15:44:20

Fitflop slippers every time. They are expensive (around £75) but my current pair must be about 8 years old and although starting to look a little shabby, are still fine in both top and sole. Worth every penny.

Marmight Mon 09-Sep-19 08:29:43

My winter selection. From left to right depending on the temperature ?. The Uggs on the left were a present from my Aussie SiL-to-be & date back to 2000. They certainly wear well! In summer I wear Havianas or bare feet

auntiejantie Mon 09-Sep-19 07:45:05

Yes, Made in Yorkshire! Proper Crocs! I don't like slippers and would normally have bare/socked feet until pain on inside of knees indicated that my arches required support at all times and my physio recommended Crocs.

GabriellaG54 Mon 09-Sep-19 02:00:14

I bought 4 pairs of Primark memory foam mules, suede with faux sheepskin lining and front cuff. At £4 each pair, I still haven't been able to wear the first pair out despite washing them a few times.
I don't wear them outdoors but I do have 2 sets of stairs which get a lot of use.
They come in various colours and have hard wearing soles so you certainly could wear them to hang washing or take bins out.

annodomini Sun 08-Sep-19 23:37:10

I need to have secure footwear in the house but prefer not to wear my outdoor shoes all the time. Running downstairs barefoot to answer the phone, I slipped on the bottom step and got a badly bruised foot. I immediately ordered a pair of suede moccasins with a non-slip sole - by no means a stodgy design and very cosy too. I never go unshod around the house nowadays,

Truddles Sun 08-Sep-19 22:36:50

Hate slippers. YAK! On a par to false teeth in a glass by the bed.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Sep-19 20:48:52

I used to be always barefoot or just socks indoors. Lately, though, the 'padding' under my feet has gone and it's like I'm walking on bones so it's Fitflop shoes (I have three 'house' pairs) or sheepskin-type boots when it's cold. I need good soles under my old feet!

Shizam Sun 08-Sep-19 20:27:54

Emu brand has kept my feet warm and safe. Cheaper than Uggs.

olliebeak Sun 08-Sep-19 20:11:14

Gonegirl - I love the Padders Slippers range! Mine are these -
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322249809074.

Initially bought them for a hospital stay when having knee replacement. The lovely nurse on night shift was really impressed with them - especially the adjustable velcro straps that worked brilliantly for when my feet swell up smile.

Speldnan Sun 08-Sep-19 19:39:05

I wear Fitflops most of the year round except if it’s really cold. I have a pair I wear only inside. Slippers are a nightmare as they get loose and you end up tripping over them. I have some slipper socks too for cold weather ( they gave non slip rubber on the sole)

dogsmother Sun 08-Sep-19 18:57:08

Loving the look of the Mahabis, currently in Uggs and I’m never without a pair of slippers to come home to.

MiniMoon Sun 08-Sep-19 18:37:23

My new slippers were delivered this afternoon. I only ordered them yesterday, how's that for service?
They feel a bit small, but the site says to wear them for a couple of days as they will stretch, so I will do that and see.

FC61 Sun 08-Sep-19 18:26:36

I had a serious aversion to plip plops as a child and now I love the idea of them but I notice every pair I’ve had gets ‘hidden’ behind other shoes and in reality it’s crocs and crocs with socks depending on temperature! Love the look of the moshulu!

kathyd Sun 08-Sep-19 17:56:17

I like Rohde slippers/mules. They are comforrtable, two heel heights, and outdoor soles.

jura2 Sun 08-Sep-19 17:25:05

not very warm in winter though Skinnylizzie

Skinnylizzie Sun 08-Sep-19 17:22:13

I wear fit flops

jura2 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:36:04

Hate slippers- always have. Refuse to have any.

Caro57 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:33:26

Glerups.dk - get the ones with rubber soles. Amazingly comfortable, not cheap but well worth the money - am one my second pair and wouldn’t change to other makes now

Greciangirl Sun 08-Sep-19 16:09:34

I always wear slippers in doors. As soon as I get home, it’s off with the shoes and in with the slippers.

But any slippers I buy, must be washable.
I have found M and S slippers wash very well, also Next ones.

Don’t think you can wash sheepskin. In fact, I’m sure you can’t.
Memory foam ones are lovely and comfy.

TigerIOM Sun 08-Sep-19 15:27:30

I find the Padders memory foam slippers really comfy. Cheaper from The Factory Shop.

Lyndie Sun 08-Sep-19 15:21:47

Skechers are so comfortable and can be worn in the house and outside.