Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you overdo it?

(63 Posts)
H1954 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:10:24

Packing for a holiday and I've done the usual, select what I THINK I will take, then pack, unpack, repack, unpack, repack, weigh the case, decide I've packed too much, unpack................. decide to check the weather forecast, pack an item "just in case" re-select items, check what matches, eliminate certain odd items, find room in OH case and fill his up too!

How do you do yours?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 14-Sep-19 10:45:56

Maggie, my husband does his own packing and I wonder sometimes if we are going on the same holiday.

Magpie1959 Fri 13-Sep-19 10:42:41

I used to do all the packing but I now leave my OH to do his own. He packed for himself for the first time for a one week (sunny) break in Spain.

When we got there and we unpacked, he had twelve pairs of shoes, fourteen pairs of underpants, ten pairs of socks, eight pairs of trousers and twenty five T-shirts (plus the usual beachwear - shorts etc). He had laid it all out on the bed and he couldn't believe it when we added everything up.
We laughed hysterically for ages and for the whole week we would burst in to fits of giggles every time we thought of it.
It is still a joke in our family - but he has got much better at it now.

Luckylegs Fri 13-Sep-19 10:17:35

I always take too much as well, never been known to travel lightly! We are going on a special trip for our 50th anniversary soon and it’s got me flummoxed! We fly to Singapore for 2 nights, then Auckland for 2 nights, then 12 nights in a ship round NZ, Tasmania, back to Sydney for 2 nights. We presumably (hopefully) will get some info on what kind of things to wear on certain nights on the cruise but other than that, I’m worrying! In November, will it be hot in Singapore/Auckland/Sydney? It will be spring in NZ I suppose. I know I’ll end up with almost everything in my wardrobe (except the weight limit of course)!! Any advice please?

Blinko Fri 13-Sep-19 08:59:50

Love it, Sue01 grin

Love the name, Pinkadink

Canuckalatte I don't really have a list, I just look at Gok Wan's website and go by that, tweaking for seasons as necessary.

Just about to embark on a Warners weekend with friends and have packed wholemeal bread...shock

SunnySusie Fri 13-Sep-19 08:51:20

I loathe packing so much I have stopped going on holiday! It gets me completely stressed out, despite having at least four lists for various types of holiday. For some reason as I get older I really feel uncomfortable if I am too hot, or too cold, or my feet are in the wrong shoes. That means even a day out with an unpredicatable weather forecast has me in a spin about what to take or wear. I must say its a huge relief not having to plan my wardrobe, or indeed cope with all the travel arrangements for a holiday. I have seen some really lovely places just a days travel from my home and can come back to my own comfy bed at night.

Snowbell Fri 13-Sep-19 08:06:24

I am at the point where I hate packing and all the things you have to do in the house and garden before you go that I'd rather stay at home. It's nice just to go on day trips and not have all the hassle.

Longdistancegrnny Fri 13-Sep-19 00:06:06

On one holiday to Majorca when the kids were small I decided on a capsule wardrobe in black and white - black skirt, black shorts, white skirt, white shorts, various black and white tops, white dress, black dress, white sandals, black sandals - you get the picture! Boy was I bored with black and white when I got home after two weeks! Also used to pack 2 large suitcases between all 5 of us, with each person having an area, say back right/ front left, so that when we arrived each child could select their clothes and put them in a drawer near their bed. Now I can, I take lots more than I need usually and am far less efficient at packing! Rather than pack half/half with DH we just put a change of clothes in each others case plus some underwear and swimmies if there is a pool, that would see us through if one case went missing!

Greciangirl Thu 12-Sep-19 20:39:34

Just about to start packing for holiday and starting to feel a slight sense of panic.

I really don’t enjoy it and like others I always take too much and usually wear half of what I packed.

I sometimes wonder, why do I do it.
Probably won’t bother again.

jura2 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:45:17

It depends if we are flying or not. When we come to Tuscany, we drive (we are here now) - so if there is just the two of you, I go right over the top and bring far too much- if we bring guests- I only take a small suitcase- and if we fly, we take 1 in-hold case, shared, and 1 small caryy-on each. Just depends.

Travelling back on Saturday, via Verona for 2 nights- and more than half of suitcase un-used!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-Sep-19 19:41:29

Just had a week away in the Netherlands and we took hand luggage only. One pair of jeans, one knee length for cycling, and I wore a pair of comfy jean type trousers. 4 t-shirts (wore one going out) One long sleeve pretty cotton tunic and one shirt. 7 pairs of knickers. I nightie and a light weight informal jacket. Wore trainers and took a pair of shoes plus 2 pairs of socks. My anti wrinkle cream, toothbrush, paste and medication. Thats it. I pack my stuff, he packs his and takes even less.

When we go for 3 months to Asia I don't take much more, just a few skirts and a dress and 14 pairs of knickers instead of 7 plus a bra. You can always get anything you need when you are away.

Graygirl Thu 12-Sep-19 18:51:07

My Mum on packing ,knickers twice the number of days away + one in handbag (don't ask) six bras. Everything else mix and match, result looked good all the time Iam still trying

Cabbie21 Thu 12-Sep-19 17:13:29

About ten days before going away, I put clothes in the spare room once they are washed and dry. A couple of days before departure I whittle them down to about half, then the next day I am more selective. All fit a colour scheme and are interchangeable, just different weights for different temperatures really . I should point out I am packing for a UK holiday, with all its unknowns.
The trouble is, in the week before I go, I decide I really do like the clothes I am wearing, and want to taken them too. I can’t, of course, as they don’t fit my colour scheme.

Kim19 Thu 12-Sep-19 16:55:43

I have my very reliable spreadsheet which I adjust every time I return from a trip. I make sure everything's clean and usually do all my packing an hour before I depart. I always reassure myself with the thought that I can buy anything I've forgotten. Haven't needed to so far. Hallelujah!

Chewbacca Thu 12-Sep-19 16:52:12

I'm guilty of the opposite. I pack so minimally that I invariably arrive and find I've not brought enough! Last time I went away I discovered that I'd only got 1 pair of socks, boots and a sweater to change into and had to buy more whilst away.
I find that rolling each item into a sausage shape saves on room in the suitcase and is far less creased when you arrive.

Mumben Thu 12-Sep-19 16:21:59

We used packing cubes last year for the first time and they were brilliant, don’t ask me how but I found they saved space in our cases, and everything was easy to find. We will be using them again next week on out trip to Menorca.

CanuckaLatte Thu 12-Sep-19 15:50:35

I haven't travelled since my last trip - when they lost our luggage for FIVE DAYS and we survived with what we had in our carryons + a very few essentials we bought).

We are heading off for two weeks golfing in a few days, and I haven't packed yet, but now that I know what I can live without (pretty much everything), I expect this packing job to be significantly sparser than my usual.

@Blinko would love to see your capsule wardrobe list for two weeks in warm climate . . .

Nannyxthree Thu 12-Sep-19 15:38:37

Like others have said I put aside clothes which I 'might' take and then make a final choice when packing.
I like the idea of half and half packing suitcases with OH but I think I would be accused of taking-up more than half (unfairly of course) and he likes to pack at the last minute while I don't.
Traveled light to France this year but got so hot and bothered we needed to shower and change more often than anticipated so washed out undies and shopped for more tops!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 12-Sep-19 15:37:56

Not when packing. I take three pairs of pants, two blouses and a dress for evening wear. Swimsuit and toiletries. It is always possible to rinse things through and dry them for next day, or possibly to find a laundry.

I frequently overdo things when gardening- right now I am trying to recover from cutting a hedge.

4allweknow Thu 12-Sep-19 14:49:46

I do travel by plane fairly often but can wash items at other end. Often the problem is trying to cope with autumn/spring weather it can be warm, cool and wet, dry. I roll everything up. Restrict the shoes to one packed pair. One longline fine cardigan. Toiletries I decant into travel size soft silicone bottles/jars. I can usually manage a week's clothing in cabin luggage without having to do washing unless very hot weather.

NemoNanna Thu 12-Sep-19 14:38:51

Jan51 I love your idea of the trousers with a choice of tops. I definitely overpack and have a reputation with friends we go away with as being unable to travel light. I hate it when I’m away and think of something I didn’t pack which would be just perfect today!

Aepgirl Thu 12-Sep-19 14:19:06

I always think the essentials are money, passport and a clean pair of knickers. Then just pack whatever I can get in my case!

sarahanew Thu 12-Sep-19 14:08:43

Decide what I think I might like to take and then deciding which items mix n match well put half of it back in the wardrobe. Pack very last minute to avoid creasing

knspol Thu 12-Sep-19 13:44:24

Packing light for me is a matter of confidence and I just don't have enough. Always take too much, always bring back at least half a case full of unworn stuff and always resolve to take less the next time. Trouble is DH is at least as bad as I am so if he's taking 2 suitcases then I do the same. Ridiculous I know and how the heck we are going to manage when off for a 4 week holiday at the end of the year I shudder to think.

GuestCorrectly Thu 12-Sep-19 12:44:04

I confess to being a complete nerd - 10 sheet Excel workbook for our last 6 week trip to New Zealand, with items packed in net inner bags labelled according to destination and date and the Excel spreadsheets highlighting what would be washed, used again or just put into a bag to bring home marked “washing.”
Seriously whilst DH got into a complete muddle with his bags over there, my system worked like a dream!
However, if I am going somewhere for say a week or doing a UK road trip, I tend to use those net bags again and put knickers in one, trousers another, tops in one, include an empty one for dirty items etc.. and then just pop those bags into the drawers where we stay (or in case of a road trip, leave in my main bag) which avoids all the sorting or rummaging through.
Happy travels.

LondonMzFitz Thu 12-Sep-19 12:30:51

DoraMarr - that's a lovely list you have there!
I have a spreadsheet which I've been updating since 2012 which I tweak according to weather where I'm going and length of stay. After the holiday I usually add a few notes as to what worked and what didn't and plan accordingly for the next trip. I was distraught when the server at work went kaboom and I lost the spreadsheet ....
As an example, I took a favourite skirt to Rome for Boxing Day - lovely weather but a little windy and my skirt was a little too light, hoping there aren't photos of me flashing my bits at the Vatican ...
I do love a packing list - almost as much as the holiday!