Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shoulder pads

(7 Posts)
Stoker48 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:06:44

I’m quite small - size 8 on top- With a narrow back and shoulders.
In the early 90s I used to wear shoulder pads all the time. It was the age of “ Power dressing”!
I used to use those foam insertable ones that clung on... Often they would shift and I’d find I had big lumps down my arms, under my top.
Fast forward 25 years and I
still haven’t grown. Many of my clothes would look better with a bit of form. I’m a 30” bust and 35” hip so would benefit from evening out!
Does anyone still wear shoulder pads and could you recommend best ones?
With thanks

crystaltipps Sun 15-Sep-19 15:14:50

It depends what type of garments you want to put the shoulder pads in. I have studied couture dressmaking and would use shoulder pads in, say, a tailored tweed Chanel- type jacket to give it a bit of structure as I am quite round shouldered. It hangs better and gives a much better outline. It would have to be sewn into the garment before lining and I wouldn’t trust a stick on one for the problems you describe. It sounds like you need to discuss your fitting issues with a proper dressmaker ( or get out your sewing machine!)

toscalily Sun 15-Sep-19 15:37:22

I have considered getting the Prym ones in the past then decided I could remove some from a garment I already had. These are not expensive and perhaps worth buying to see if they would work for you. www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=shoulder%20pads

Fennel Sun 15-Sep-19 16:56:05

I think the squared shoulder fashion is returning. Sometimes, in jackets etc, with a little curve at the top.
I've also tried to make semi-tailored jackets and coats and you definitely need some kind of shoulder pad to help hold the shape. I used the hand stitch-in type.
Can't do it now - poor eyesight and manual coordination with old age sad.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Sep-19 17:33:14

I used to unpick them and remove the darn things.

Scribbles Sun 15-Sep-19 17:44:38

Me too, EllenV. I'm quite broad shouldered and those shoulder pads made me look like an American footballer!

Stoker48 Mon 16-Sep-19 13:50:03

Thank you SO much for your responses.
Sadly, I’m don’t own sewing machine and my hand sewing not much cop either.
I will try the Prym ones, as suggested.
Cheers, all.