Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Elderly

(106 Posts)
Newquay Mon 16-Sep-19 00:01:11

Just had a conversation with a dear friend, aged 68, who, despite being fit and active, considers herself elderly. I’m just turned 70 but don’t consider myself elderly. I do realise, of course, the dear old NHS would consider me elderly but what about the rest of us? What do you think?

Hetty58 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:44:21

Vickya, I suddenly became like that two years ago when I injured my back. It's still a problem and my whole life has changed.

I resist making plans as I'd rather just do stuff on a good day. I need a few days 'recovery' after long journeys or prolonged sitting. I go off for a lie down at any possible opportunity on family visits or days out (easier when outdoors in the summer) and I think twice about accepting invitations.

Things that I used to enjoy are sometimes just an ordeal now. I take the train to my daughter's place as a three hour car journey is just torture. Often, having got up at the crack of dawn and walked the dog, then travelled, they have an active adventure in mind for the day. I down the painkillers and try my best!

Anthea1948 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:45:54

I'm 71 and yes, I do consider myself as elderly. That's probably because I have major mobility issues and walk like a really, really old person (about 120) so I know I look elderly.
I do know what trisher means though - when my grandmother was in her late eighties she didn't want to go to Derby and Joan clubs because they were 'full of old people'!

Newatthis Mon 16-Sep-19 11:46:11

My body sometimes feels it, my mind never!

Craftycat Mon 16-Sep-19 11:47:23

I'm 69 & I certainly do NOT feel elderly although I suppose I would be classed as such.
I am fit & active- go to Yoga & dance classes & belong to various organisations to keep the mind strong too.I can hold my own when playing with DGC- quite good at cricket!!
I wear what I like which hasn't changed much in last 20 years- jeans, shorts , high heels- all fine by me & I put full makeup on every morning.
I believe in ' you are as old as you feel'.
Luckily I am in good health ( could do with losing a few lbs though!!) but I do realise that this will change at some point so I will have to think again but while you can wing it- go for it!!

vickya Mon 16-Sep-19 12:01:40

Herry58 yes I have been worried about going by train as it is a bus to the station, train to Euston and then another train and get from station to daughter, but she sent me details and times of trains smile and said she could pick me up from the station . I could perhaps get picked up coming home too. I think I might dot hat next time. The daughter I picked up had a 4 year old with hurt food not walking in a buggy so I had to drive. "Are we there yet?" smile

Paperbackwriter Mon 16-Sep-19 12:08:52

Elderly - what a truly hideous word!

Sara65 Mon 16-Sep-19 12:09:44

Oh goodness, no, definitely not elderly!

At 65 I’m not sure what I am, but old or elderly, absolutely not, maybe just grown up!

sodapop Mon 16-Sep-19 12:24:27

Exactly paperbackwriter It's the word itself which conjures up a doddering, drooling person. I don't mind being classed as an older person or a person of mature years. Definitely not elderly.

JanaNana Mon 16-Sep-19 12:26:47

I don't consider it elderly. I'm 72 and I think it's how you feel inside....never mind what your birth certificate tells you. It's an attitude of mind I think.
Decades ago this age group would probably be classed as elderly as peoples life span wasn't as long as anticipated now.

knspol Mon 16-Sep-19 12:27:48

Really don't mind being called elderly or geriatric or whatever, it doesn't affect the way I feel about myself at all. Some days I feel ancient and some days I feel young, let people call me what they want.

Hymnbook Mon 16-Sep-19 12:31:02

It amazed me how l was treated in a & e last year. Spoken to as if l was gaga l was only 68 then. I'm definitely not elderly. An acquaintance is 81 she doesn't look it or act like that age. Age is just a number as they say .

Cabbie21 Mon 16-Sep-19 12:31:03

“Not as young as I used to be.” But at a year older than DH I feel ten years younger than him. It is all relative.
I don’t have as much strength or stamina as I used to.. I can’t walk too far before I need the loo, but my brain is as agile as ever.

ReadyMeals Mon 16-Sep-19 12:32:47

I started referring to myself as "old" when I turned 65, because that's the age medical articles mean when they say "the older patient". Basically from 65 we are included in geriatric medical considerations. You may be lucky enough to feel young, but you still have to give your body the extra consideration that is due to the geriatric if you want to go on feeling that way.

Destin Mon 16-Sep-19 12:38:16

I think elderly is just a state of mind. At 77 I am older than I was but not yet elderly.

But I did have a charming (Italian) gentleman stand up and give me his seat on an airport bus at Milan airport today - so maybe I should rethink this theory of mine!

DoraMarr Mon 16-Sep-19 12:40:26

My mother’s 90 year old friend had cancer. her doctor said she could have some treatment that would give her another ten years or so of a good life. “Is that all?” she said.

Theoddbird Mon 16-Sep-19 12:51:10

To me elderly is about a hundred... I am 68 1/2 and fairly fit. I lift weights most days and still work...194 days until I gave decided I will retire. I am just older than I was....

silvercollie Mon 16-Sep-19 12:58:10

Not even a grown-up yet, leave alone elderly. I am 76 but look and identify as a lot younger.

TwiceAsNice Mon 16-Sep-19 13:07:39

Definitely not elderly, not for a long time. I’m 66, am fit and active and still work part time. My only concession to getting older is to dye my hair due to the grey!

Margaux Mon 16-Sep-19 13:08:02

Earlier this year, and for the first time in my life, I felt old. Really old. Not new old, as before, but elderly. I was 77, I was ill and it was a cold winter. Strangely though, I have grown younger at 78 as my health has gradually come back to normal. I am keeping my fingers crossed but I do wonder - how much of what we feel is a reflection of our state of health?

wicklowwinnie Mon 16-Sep-19 13:10:23

Not elderly and neither mature. I prefer vintage like a good wine.

rockgran Mon 16-Sep-19 13:13:39

I never quite reached "middle aged" as it was always slightly ahead of me - but now I realise it must have passed me by as "elderly" is now slightly ahead of me. I'm hoping to keep "dead" slightly ahead for some time!grin

Razzy Mon 16-Sep-19 13:18:16

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my mum who is 83, and she was going on about “the old dears”. ? I was like, but mum, you are old too...!

vena11 Mon 16-Sep-19 13:21:06

I am only 66 and I am certainly don't think I am elderly, my 5 year old DGD says to me You are old granny and I say no I am not old I am just older than you.

Lancslass1 Mon 16-Sep-19 13:30:30

I love it that I am asked if I mind my Christian name being used because that does not make me feel my age.
I do object to being called Dearie over the phone.
as I was recently when the person I telephoned realised how old I am.
Dearie I most certainly am not

grandmaz Mon 16-Sep-19 13:32:53

When I had my first job at 16, I looked pityingly at the 23/34 year olds, thinking how 'old' they were and how it must be awful to be that age. When I myself was 23/24, it was the thirty-somethings who were 'past it'! So now that I'm 67, I think that anyone a good few years my senior MAY be elderly, but when I reach their age, I shan't be of course! A simple case of 'if the cap fits' and mine doesn't fit just yet!grin wink