Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

elderly parents based in UK

(7 Posts)
Abuelana Fri 20-Sep-19 14:47:24

My father is 87 and has been working full time until recently, due to a bout of illness, he is no longer able to work. BTW he is amazing. And has never asked for help until now.
It now appears he had my stepmother have made no financial provisions for themselves. Thus leaving them with only state pensions to live on.
They will apply for housing benefits and pension credits. I have no idea what is available in UK for them to claim. I have lived in Spain for 32 years.
Anyone have any idea what else they could claim.
They have asked us for financial help - my husband is 72 and we have planned our future. It sounds mean but this did not include subsidising elderly parents. Help !!

Hetty58 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:04:51

They have state pensions but do they have any work pensions too? Yes, pension credit should top their income up to a certain (low) amount and gives entitlement to other help (such as with eye tests and glasses). They also know about housing benefits and they may be able to access Council Tax reduction.

If your father needs help due to disability/illness he may be entitled to Attendance Allowance too. A visit to Citizens Advice would be helpful for them to check what help is available. Too many elderly people don't claim what they're entitled to:

Fiachna50 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:09:41

Tell them to contact Age UK. I've heard they can be good for advice too.

kittylester Fri 20-Sep-19 16:12:11

Ageuk are brilliant as far as benefits are concerned. Their website is brilliant with lots of helpful downloads.

You can also access a benefits check on line if you Google it.

Is your father eligible for Attendance allowance - does your stepmother have to provide him with help.

Ageuk is the way to go.

Tedber Fri 20-Sep-19 16:21:03

Benefits certainly are a minefield so your parents need help as said above to work it all out. They will probably never be as well off as they were when working but should have enough to survive without asking you to subside them.

Amazing that he has continued to work till 82. Sadly state pension doesn’t seem to increase to reflect this!

Nansnet Fri 20-Sep-19 16:30:48

My father has many health issues, and has been able to claim disability allowance. Since my mother passed away, he's been living alone, as we also live overseas. It was a very difficult time. However, on a trip back to the UK, I made an appointment to go along with him to the Citizen's Advice. They were extremely helpful and informative with regards to what he could claim, even offering help with providing forms, and helping to fill them out. After the initial concerns about how he would manage, he's now fairly well provided for, and is able to live quite comfortably. Please do try to arrange for either yourself, or someone else, to go along with them, as there is so much information provided that it can all be a little overwhelming. My dad does own his own house, and has a VERY small personal pension, although he doesn't have much in the way of savings, but with the help of all the other little extras he is entitled to claim, he no longer needs to worry about how he will manage. As the previous poster said, too many elderly people do not claim what they are entitled to, and if they've worked, and paid into the system all their lives, they need to be taken care of when they need help.

glammanana Fri 20-Sep-19 17:05:27

Abuelana I would also suggest AgeUK for their help on this,also if your parents are housed by a Housing Association they have inhouse advisors who will fill in all the relevant forms for them and keep them up to date as to how their claim is progressing they will work out for them what amount of benefits they should receive.
They may also be entitled for fixtures to be made to their property to make for easier living such as handrails/grips for bath/shower well worth looking at.