Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for breakfast?

(90 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 22-Sep-19 07:05:37

I've been up since 05.00 and now rather peckish, to say the least!

I have a full fridge so just pondering ...

KatyK Fri 27-Sep-19 12:50:42

Just a slice of toast this morning. I had an optician's appointment and was running late.

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Sep-19 12:50:13

Oh, kippers! I really love them! Boring old Weetabix for me today (I do actually like it, but can’t think why!).

Auntieflo Fri 27-Sep-19 09:00:50

Toasted brown bread, with honey and a banana. Yogurt drink and black, Earl Grey tea.
DH had put a jar of beetroot on the table?
(Instead of marmalade)

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 08:06:02

Kippers! Boil in the bag. With brown bread and butter.

Pantglas2 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:55:45

It will be a full monty for brunch later on as we have friends for curry this evening and won’t bother with lunch/tea.

dragonfly46 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:52:07

Porridge with blueberries and coconut sugar.

Riverwalk Fri 27-Sep-19 07:50:52

Avocado, sprinkle chilli flakes, tiny cubes of feta on toasted sourdough, double espresso with hot milk. smile

About to go out and walk some of it off!

craftyone Mon 23-Sep-19 14:25:14

porridge cooked with apple and blackcurrants

Tangerine Mon 23-Sep-19 14:21:59

Boiled egg and soldiers.

LondonGranny Mon 23-Sep-19 12:19:05

Usually muesli with some fresh fruit eg chopped apple and plain yoghurt. I buy the Sainsbury's Basics one because it's got no added sugar and nice big oats and barley. It's pretty skimpy on nuts and fruit so I add those myself, often some apricots and almonds but I ring the changes every time. Probably chopped prunes and walnuts next time. A lot of muesli is quite powdery, oversweet and overpriced (ie Alpen).

My husband likes a cooked breakfast. His is usually wholemeal or granary toast with scrambled eggs or fried mushrooms., The bread is homemade by me as I can control the amount of salt as shop bought has a lot of salt.

There's always a pot of tea (loose leaf tea, much nicer) on the table too.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Sep-19 12:02:22

I’m on a 5:2 fast day today, so a big fat nothing. I’ll treat myself to a nectarine for lunch.

KatyK Mon 23-Sep-19 09:57:55

Just a boiled egg for me today.

harrigran Mon 23-Sep-19 09:30:50

Two slices of toast with goats cheese, no butter.
Alternative breakfast is porridge and banana.

Allegretto Mon 23-Sep-19 08:10:51

I’ve had a very indulgent weekend - 2 (big) lunches out - so this morning I’m going to push breakfast on until mid-morning and then have just a piece of fruit. I’ve got a grapefruit in the fruit bowl.... or maybe a big, juicy nectarine ..... I know that I will feel better after a healthy day, with less food.

M0nica Sun 22-Sep-19 22:12:58

Greengran having read through the thread, I think we have a real range of breakfasts here from none at all to bacon butties and cooked breakfasts in many forms. I would think a pretty representive sample of what most people have.

OK none of us -admit to - start with a stiff whisky or shooting up, but I think that would be fairly unusual for our age range.

BBbevan Sun 22-Sep-19 20:39:59

DH and I do the 16/8 fast in the week. At weekends DH has whatever he wants for breakfast. Often croissants and jam. I, as a reversed diabetic always have berries and Greek yogurt. Love it.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Sep-19 19:52:13

GreenGran, the unhealthy eaters were having tea and chocolate cake at 4am!

GreenGran78 Sun 22-Sep-19 19:02:16

Are all Gransnetters such healthy eaters, or are the unhealthy eaters just hiding behind the sofa?

tidyskatemum Sun 22-Sep-19 18:13:33

I never do breakfast during the week - the 16/8 diet keeps my weight down - but Sunday is always a toasted bacon butty on homemade bread, orange juice and strong coffee while reading the papers.

Merryweather Sun 22-Sep-19 18:06:50

Nothing !!
I woke up, threw up tried to take my tablets, instantly threw up again.
Threw up again later and just before tea.
(Morning sickness my bum- all day sickness more like)?

Teal Sun 22-Sep-19 17:15:27

I had what I have every day, 2 slices of toast spread with butter and marmite, extra strong espresso, followed by Greek yogurt, muesli and blueberries with a drizzle of honey, glass of orange juice and a vitamin tablet. Sounds a lot but I never eat lunch so it keeps me going until dinner at 6pm.

CBBL Sun 22-Sep-19 16:16:27

forgot to say - with salt and Black pepper!

CBBL Sun 22-Sep-19 16:15:45

Scrambled eggs on one slice of toasted (and buttered) spelt. The latter is smaller than the usual small loaf - but much better for you (no wheat or white flour).

grandtanteJE65 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:04:13

Coffee, lots of, with the contents of the cream jug shared between my cup and the cat's saucer and later in the forenoon a bowl of yoghurt.

If I have worked hard between coffee and my later bowl of something, it tends to be porridge.

Riggie Sun 22-Sep-19 14:45:44

Sunday so no breakfast as such. Full English for brunch later.