Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spiders!!

(25 Posts)
tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 09:43:11

I’m not scared of spiders and will happily remove them to the garden when I can but it’s when they just appear from nowhere I get a fright and my heart pounds. Now I’m getting paranoid and I’ve spent the morning moving cupboards and looking under things to find them so I can move them out before they catch me unawares like yesterday I was caught out by two and it’s making me twitchy ?

It’s ridiculous but it’s really getting on my nerves now. Any advice people?

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 09:59:12

I am very twitchy, I’m terrified of them, and we seem to have loads this year, last night we had one as big as a dinner plate, I’m still a nervous wreck!

lemongrove Tue 01-Oct-19 10:23:11

It’s the way they gallop about ( the big house spiders) isn’t it?
Such confidence! They think they own the place.?
If we ever move from this house I would like a new build ( according to friends, they hardly ever see them.)

Auntieflo Tue 01-Oct-19 10:26:23

My neighbour and I were talking about this the other afternoon. She hates them and so does her DH, although he can cope with putting them outside. But he does freak out a bit, if she lets out a sudden shout.
She told me that the ones we see indoors, are males, looking for a mate. Don't know if I believe her!

tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 10:26:57

I have a friend in America who has her house and exterior of the house fumigated specifically so she doesn’t encounter spiders. So OTT a step definitely too far.
I just the wouldn’t appear unexpectedly like on the footstool an inch from my barefoot ?

tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 10:27:55

Wish they wouldn’t

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 10:29:09

Friend of mine is petrified
She has a 'wall' of conkers round her bed.
Not sure if it works!

Squiffy Tue 01-Oct-19 10:37:35

We are inundated with spiders - their reproductive systems must be turbo-driven! ? I remove umpteen (often about 20 or more) spiders over the course of a week, but I swear they form an orderly queue and sneak back in!

I’m getting really fed up as their webs are everywhere, despite using my candy floss on a stick duster thing to remove them daily . I hate the idea of killing them, but I’m reaching breaking point.

Any deterrent ideas would be very gratefully received! I’ll try conkers once they’re available again.

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:42:57

I’ve got those electronic gadgets, and I actually thought they worked, but not this year, I can’t relax in the evenings or get to sleep at night, roll on November

tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 10:50:14

I usually put confers down and they do seem to work in my house. I took a walk yesterday but there aren’t any on the ground yet.

tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 10:51:11

??? predictive text. Conkers!

henetha Tue 01-Oct-19 11:11:52

Sitting up in bed reading last night when suddenly a huge one appeared on the wall to the side of me. Terror! And the realisation that there is no-one to deal with it but me.
Luckily I managed to catch it in a plastic container and then
released it at the end of the driveway. Will it return tonight?!!

EllanVannin Tue 01-Oct-19 11:16:08

I don't have many spiders at all but if I see one I have my trusty spider-catcher, a triangular plastic container with a sliding bottom that you open up aim it over the spider and close across so you have him trapped inside ready to go outside. I think it was a fiver years ago from Kleen-ezee.

It's slugs outside the patio door at night that I can't stand. They gather together in a clump like Medusa and her hair, just makes me squirm.
It was the cockroaches in Oz that used to send me into a frenzy----appearing from nowhere. I did used to get paranoid then, looking over my shoulder all the time.

Give me a spider anytime.

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 11:21:17

Ugh. Slugs. I've trodden on them before now.

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 11:24:04

I don't mind spiders at all. It's blowflies that I hate. That malevolent buzzing. When I was a cleaner for elderly people in my youth a new job (husband, wife and adult son with Downs syndrome) had a houseful of blowflies and I couldn't work out why. Turned out there was a rotting chicken carcass in the oven. That oven still pops up occasionally in my nightmares.

Alexa Tue 01-Oct-19 11:36:03

I look inside my pillowcases before I get into bed.

Alexa Tue 01-Oct-19 11:38:23

I keep a glass jar and card marked "SPIDERS"on the principle if it can happen it will happen.

Squiffy Tue 01-Oct-19 13:57:34

Just pulled a tissue out of the box - complete with teeny spider attached. As I said upthread, they’re everywhere in our house! ?

GrandmaJan Tue 01-Oct-19 14:04:52

There’s definitely a higher number of spiders than other years. We had CCTV cameras fitted outside a few months ago and one of them is completely obliterated by a spiders web. It’s high up so difficult to reach so DH uses the hose to try and remove it but when he does the spiders just start a build another one. I could make a wildlife video watching it catch it’s prey.

NfkDumpling Tue 01-Oct-19 14:09:24

We have an enormous house spider living under the sideboard in the sitting room. She trots across the floor in the evenings and I’ll swear I can hear her feet on the carpet. Since she’s been there for years so I suspect its not the same one, but the advantage is that she eats all the other spiders.

harrigran Wed 02-Oct-19 09:23:21

Watching TV the other night I heard rather than saw a huge spider. DH jumped up to get sucky-up thing, spider looked over it's shoulder and shot under the TV stand. When DH returned I pointed to where it had gone, took about 10 minutes to find the blessed thing as it was hiding on a black cable.
DH sat down and I screamed, a smaller spider was sitting on my cushion staring at me, I bet he was looking for his dad.

boodymum67 Sat 26-Oct-19 13:49:19

We seem to have had far more spiders and webs than ever this year!

I dont like spiders, and will let my hubby zap them with his spider bat!

They belong outside not in!

NanaMacGeek Sat 26-Oct-19 14:19:49

My daughter-in-law is terrified of spiders. If she sees one in the house she smashes it with anything to hand. She won’t go into the garden shed any more - if she wants anything from the shed, my son has to get it when he comes home.

My granddaughter is an anxious child and now freezes in fear when she sees a spider. This happened when she was with us in the garden recently. I held her hand and spoke calmly. I told her that it couldn't hurt her, how clever it was to weave a complicated web and pointed out the pretty patterns on its body. My granddaughter didn't say anything but stood looking for a moment at the spider before walking away.

I don't know if I did the right thing or not.

rockgran Sat 26-Oct-19 14:35:25

I keep a plastic cup and a card ready but I wouldn't hurt one. When I take it outside there is a race to see who gets back in first! I confess I was a bit worried when I recently had to sleep on a floor mattress!

Sara65 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:40:41

NanaMacGeek

I’m ashamed to say I’ve put the terror of spiders into all my children and grandchildren, I’m not proud of it, but I’m like your daughter in law, I can’t behave rationally if I see one.

My mother would just scoop them up, so I don’t know where it comes from.

I doubt your little chat with your granddaughter did much harm or much good, sadly it’s not that simple, but at least she can see that not all grownups are terrified.