Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retiring to the coast on my own

(22 Posts)
notanan2 Fri 08-Nov-19 09:22:56

If you add up the cost of a housemove, that would cover a LOT of holidays!

If you like seaside holidays go on more seaside holidays.

Living by the seaside is not the same as holidaying there.

Franbern Fri 08-Nov-19 09:19:27

Having lived in London virtually all of my life - I have just moved (at the age of 78 yrs) to Weston super Mare. Have been visiting here for last twenty years as No. 2 daughter and her family moved here then. As I only had 50% equity in my London house, this provided the opportunity of having a hundred percent ownership in a lovely, good size 2-bedroom flat. Very close to town centre, bus stop right outside flats, shops opposite. Five minutes (on my scooter) from the Beach. Two theatres and two cinemas nearby.
I am loving living in a flat (all on one level) and so enjoying the fact that so much going on is within such easy trundling (on my scooter) distance.
I know it is very early days, but I feel really settled and happy here. Over the four years it actually took me to finally make this move from when I first started it - I have so often fantasised some of the little shopping trips etc. still finding it hard to believe it is now actually for real.
I intend joining U3A, and WI and am today trying out indoor bowling (just round the corner).
It is a pity that the original poster does not come back to read the posts and also to say in which County he, at present lives., not sure if I would have moved here without knowing the area and having family close by.

Tedber Thu 31-Oct-19 17:13:41

As others have said, you say you don't want to move too far away....but far away from where? Also inexpensive places? What is your idea of expensive/inexpensive?

Why not google places you would consider moving to and compare prices?

For instance a one bedroom place in say Bridlington, would be a lot less than the same say in Brighton.

Loislovesstewie Mon 28-Oct-19 19:01:49

I live a few minutes walk from the sea. I am one of those mad women taking the dog for his daily walk on the beach in all weathers. There are lots of places up and down the country that are great for retired people, look on Zoopla/ Rightmove to get an idea of what is available, visit preferably out of season so you know what it's like in winter and think about whether you need to find a town which isn't too hilly. You don't want to be stuck if you develop mobility issues.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Oct-19 17:13:04

I would find it very difficult to not live by the sea (being a Pisces too) I live about half a minute from the beach and love walking on it, smelling the sea and hearing the gulls overhead
Downside it can be cold
I m also lucky in living by a small shopping area and a bus stop right by my house

craftyone Mon 28-Oct-19 16:59:06

Market towns are usually pretty good, they often have thriving communities and clubs, doctor, buses, shops and tea shops. I love the sea but this sort of community needs to be my home now. I moved from a village, on my own. It is now down to me to make new friends, hence me not waiting any longer. I am 71 and would definitely not want to be doing this move in 5 years

Best to look at the worst case scenario, ie not being able to drive

Hm999 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:19:40

A few years prior to retirement, I moved back to South coast alone. On retirement, dog joined the household, so I walk the beach every day. I live near shops, several bus routes and the train station. Plenty to keep me occupied as several U3a groups, a large college for evening (or day) courses and a lot of other arts/craft courses.

boodymum67 Sat 26-Oct-19 13:45:59

I get you entirely!

There are ways of finding out what towns have in the way of GPs, hospitals, shops, even criminality records.

Try typing in `why live in ......town?` and see what takes your fancy.

Then take a trip there and see how it feels. They say you should do this in winter as well as summer.

Good luck and I kind of envy you!

glammanana Sat 05-Oct-19 15:23:38

We live on a lovely part of the Country right on the coast on The Wirral where we have access to beaches and flat promenades/access to transport to L'pool and Chester very close by and a train service which can access the whole of the Country easily.
Always make sure you choose somewhere which has good Drs surgery/banks/libraries we are lucky to have all of these amenities to hand we are very fortunate indeed.

JenniferEccles Sat 05-Oct-19 12:57:42

You need to say where you are in the country for people to be able to advise you.

Coastal areas vary enormously in terms of property prices and amenities.

Smaller seaside towns can feel like ghost towns in the winter which may not be suitable for you.

Once you are more specific about the area you are considering, people will be better placed to help you.

M0nica Sat 05-Oct-19 12:02:12

I agree with Hillwalker, my aunt and uncle retired to Walmer, on the outskirts of Deal, and lived there very happily for 35 years. They soon became involved in local groups. The old part of Deal has become a fashionable place for weekending Londoners, mainly artists and the like, and some houses are expensive but there is plenty on the market at well under £200,000

kircubbin2000 Sat 05-Oct-19 11:55:38

I'm really surprised at a friend older than me. She and H are selling their lovely seaside house and moving out to a small village that only has one shop. It's really quiet there and beautiful but no doctor or life about the place.

Fiachna50 Sat 05-Oct-19 11:50:27

Make sure if you do move that you are near doctor, hospital,shops,church(if you attend),library or cinema. Make sure there is a bus service as many folk never seem to consider a day that they may not be able to drive. Even so I live in a large town and they have cut bus services.

harrigran Sat 05-Oct-19 10:22:43

I would suggest the Northumberland coast but if you are living in the south it would be too far, need to be more specific.

Loulelady Sat 05-Oct-19 09:34:42

Yes, it would be really helpful to indicate your county, as otherwise 90% or more of the well-intentioned suggestions will be non-starters.

Chestnut Sat 05-Oct-19 09:33:51

I think being close to amenities, friends and family would be the most important thing rather than the seaside
Absolutely spot on. As you get older being close to family is so important, friends too although you can make some new friends. You also want to be near buses and shops for when you have no car. Do you want to babysit your grandchildren? I would love to be near the seaside but those other things are my priority. If you can find a nice seaside area that ticks all your boxes then fine, otherwise maybe near a country park or riverside walk?

Daisymae Sat 05-Oct-19 09:19:38

My mother lived a stones throw from the beach, only time she went was when she had visitors. Easy enough to do some research on right move to find out prices in the relevant area. Then subscribe to the local paper and see what is going on in the area.

ninathenana Sat 05-Oct-19 09:04:39

You say you don't want to go to far up or down the county due to wanting to be near family. However, you don't say which county you are in.

hillwalker70 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:47:30

I don’t live there but Deal or Walmer in Kent would be my choice. It is flat for walking, direct train service to London, good taxi service, lots of good independent shops, a pier, 2 castles and good places to eat.

Val05 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:09:39

my best friends mother has recently moved to Clacton the move was difficult at first for her but after a year she settled in. This mother did have her brother who lived nearby (walking distance) this has made all the difference to her as she does an awful lot with her sister in law. She now goes to lunches at the local senior groups and uses public transport to get about. Family visit her and use the local coastal facilities (beach etc) and stay overnight in local B&B.
choose some where where there are senior facilities that you can join as this has supported this mother/grandmother to make friends that heave supported her settlement. Friends that she made at senior groups, I think this is one of the most important things for some one moving to any where on there own along with local facilities that you can easily access by foot.
Head up and I hope this goes well for you x keep us posted x

Pantglas2 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:07:42

I actually live 400 metres from the beach in north Wales and don’t often walk along it but obviously enjoy the views etc I think being close to amenities, friends and family would be the most important thing rather than the seaside per se.

Peonyrose Sat 05-Oct-19 08:01:53

Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question. I have always enjoyed walking by the sea and the older I get I think more about selling up and moving. I don't want to go too far up or down the county for family reasons, the places I usually holidayed. Can anyone suggest a not too expensive, place to retire to, with the facilities you require as you get older. Is it too tall an order?