Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dental neuralgia

(10 Posts)
Dawn22 Sat 05-Oct-19 20:53:28

Has anyone any experience of this as l have what appears to be dental pain in different parts of my mouth currently.
I would be grateful for any old remedies or cures that anyone might have.
Am now going to try and swish with disprin in warm water.
Thank you for any advice. Dawn.

paddyann Sat 05-Oct-19 21:46:14

it might be a gum infection ,be best to see a dentist and meantime buy a decent mouthwash from the chemist

Gonegirl Sat 05-Oct-19 22:38:45

Corsydol toothpaste could well help. And Corsydol mouthwash. Have you had a clean with the orthodontist recently. Perhaps you need one.

Daisymae Sun 06-Oct-19 08:37:50

Sensodine toothpaste will help with sensitivity. However you need to see a dentist to get a diagnosis. Dispirin will only help once it's absorbed. Oragel will numb the area on a temporary basis.

cornergran Sun 06-Oct-19 08:57:08

I experienced this some years ago dawn. Dentist confirmed no decay and advised I see my GP who after a short ‘wait and see’ period referred me to a maxillofacial consultant. I’m a dental wimp so this worried me. The consultant was both kind and reassuring. He examined and diagnosed, saying neuralgia was the closest diagnosis but it wasn’t true neuralgia. There was no active treatment other than pain killers and advice to use warmth to ease pain, to avoid very cold drinks, being out in cold wind and very cold weather. He offered ongoing appointments every six months or so for a general check. Mine gradually eased over a two year period. It does recur every now and again but doesn’t last long. I’d suggest an urgent dental appointment and if all clear see your GP. In the meantime ask a pharmacist about the most effective over the counter painkillers. Hope it settles soon.

CassieJ Sun 06-Oct-19 11:03:11

I have had this and pain is excruciating! Dentist confirmed there was nothing wrong with my teeth. The only thing that helped was strong painkillers.
It did go eventually, though flares up now and then, but nothing like it was the first time I had it.

Judy54 Sun 06-Oct-19 13:57:56

Hello Dawn. I agree with the advice given always best to get it checked out with the Dentist first. I did this only to find that I had a problem with my jaw and not my teeth, it was very painful. Normal pain killers did not help and my GP did not give me anything stronger. The only person who helped was my Osteopath who does cranial osteopathy which is a more gentle form and certainly worked for me. Perhaps it is worth you giving this a try. All good wishes.

desjumeaux17 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:01:00

Definitely get it checked out properly, I have had similar problem for a long time. I have seen various medical experts and it turns out I have a jaw which is out of line.

Good luck and hope you get it cured.

dragonfly46 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:07:50

Sometimes my teeth hurt and my dentist says it is because I grind my teeth at night. It happens when I am stressed.

Carenza123 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:50:25

I had really bad pain two years ago seemingly in my bottom back molar. It went away but it returned now and again. I went to a new dentist who took x-rays and assured me there was no decay in the tooth, but advised me about mouth hygiene and brushing techniques, also recommended a deep clean with the hygienist. She prescribed a course of anti-biotics. I was overjoyed as I had convinced myself that I would need the tooth extracted. I have followed her advice but still feel tenderness in my lower jaw - having a check up in 2 months time and following my mouth cleaning techniques.