Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Laundry temperature

(62 Posts)
Newquay Sat 02-Nov-19 17:50:12

Just had a conversation with DD1-professional lady, mother of four-and she told me she does all her washing at 60*!
I use 30/40-what do you do?

fizzers Sun 03-Nov-19 13:35:28

I do everything on a 30 wash, even that is too long on my washing machine, towels, tea towels, face flannels, knickers etc, are washed together with an antibacterial washing liquid.

I find 30 more than adequate, I'd do a clooer wash if there was one.

maytime2 Sun 03-Nov-19 12:45:39

I soak my dish clothes in a little water and bleach for a couple of hours. I then throw the liquid over the exterior tiles leading up to my front door and leave them to dry. This keeps the tiles clean of moss etc. and also I am recycling.

harrigran Sun 03-Nov-19 08:23:08

Towels and tea towels on 60, mixed fabric clothing on 40.
I only ever washed once on 30 and was not happy with the results, the wash was definitely not clean.
I do like my laundry to look washed and the whites not to be grey.
I would say that tea towels washed at 30 would be a health hazard.

BlueSapphire Sun 03-Nov-19 08:14:58

Towels and bedding on 60. Underwear (knickers) on 50, most other stuff on 40.

BradfordLass72 Sun 03-Nov-19 04:03:52

In NZ it's all cold wash and the laundry powder is geared accordingly.

Of course you can alter the machine so it uses a mixture, or only hot but as laundry is alwasy white and clean, why use more energy than you need?

My hot water tank is turned to its lowest setting anyway.

Imagine the amazing effects on energy usage if everyone in developed countries used only cold water!
grin Eco warriors at the laundry!!

Bigred18 Sun 03-Nov-19 03:48:12

Cold water for everything for me, nothing if ever dirty.

welbeck Sat 02-Nov-19 22:17:01

I wash mostly at 30, sometimes 20, as its the cheapest for a full load. but I do add laundry detergent to everything, to kill the germs.
I also clean the washing machine with special product and setting, every 2-3 months.
there is only me. I don't like the idea of very hot washing, must be expensive to heat the water that high, also as I am washing just for me it is uneconomical to wait to have enough for different loads. so I tend to put everything in together.
the person who washes knickers at 60, do they have elastic, doesn't that temp wither elastic.
anyway each to his/her own. I don't use any cloths for wiping anything in the kitchen, unless I throw it straight away. never have. don't like the idea. ditto handkerchiefs.
for surfaces I use paper towels or anti-bacterial wipes and discard. the environment won't make me change now. too old. and too young to have ever used cloths, washable.
except, I have gone back to a face only flannel, as i think it helps exfoliate, and is rather a nice feeling, and when in a hurry does for a quick dab when rushing.
don't have a shower. bath takes more time and energy than I have sometimes. never use the flannel in the bath. put my head under the taps so always wash hair at same time.
I wash the flannel at 30 with everything else, but put disinfectant in wash.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 22:16:31

I’m talking about tea towels dish clothes etc. Common sense really.

agnurse Sat 02-Nov-19 22:06:53

Diapers means nappies.

agnurse Sat 02-Nov-19 22:06:41

I only ever wash on warm or cold. (We don't do exact temps on Canadian washers.) My mum taught me to wash laundry, and the only thing she ever washed on hot was diapers, as she used cloth.

annep1 Sat 02-Nov-19 22:06:30

Not quite accurate - towels 40 or 60 depending.

Hetty58 Sat 02-Nov-19 22:05:10

Mostly 30 with white towels and pillowcases at 40. White vinegar as fabric softener (allergies) and soap nuts as detergent. When I'm in NZ, though, I only use cold water (as everyone there seems to do).

annep1 Sat 02-Nov-19 22:04:18

Delicates 30, dark pants, t shirts etc 40, towels whites dish clothes 60
Sometimes I just put lightly soiled dark trousers, delicate knits through a rinse with fabric softener. The action cleanses them.

Often I soak my dish cloths in bleach then rinse before washing.

janeainsworth Sat 02-Nov-19 22:03:33

What bugs, Whitewave?
Do you wash every single item of clothing every time you wear it? If not, why not?
If you’re not actually ill, what bugs are likely to be lurking on your clothes?
My family have survived 40 years of my doing laundry at 30 degrees.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 21:59:45

Bugs will not be killed below 60c

White linen needs the higher temperature of 95c

Everything else according to instructions.

Tangerine Sat 02-Nov-19 21:55:24

Everything at 30.

janeainsworth Sat 02-Nov-19 21:54:18

Mostly 30, occasionally 40 for sheets and towels, with some washing soda added to keep them white.
I don’t understand the obsession with killing ‘germs’. Unless someone in the family is suffering from an infectious disease, where are all these pathogens supposed to come from?

Patsy70 Sat 02-Nov-19 21:41:53

I use mostly 40 & 30, 60 for bedding/towels, handwash/wool/silk cycle, occasionally a quickwash to refresh, and 90 once a month with vinegar to clean the machine. I've stopped using softener, as it clogs the drawer and leaves scum behind. I leave the drawer and door partially open after a wash cycle, preventing any unpleasant smells! Seems to work!

SirChenjin Sat 02-Nov-19 21:41:48

Towels, dish towels, bedding, underwear and whites on 60, everything else on 40 or 30. I use the short cycles so between 45 and 90-odd minutes

cornergran Sat 02-Nov-19 21:19:50

Towels at 60, bedding 50, white things 60, coloured clothes either 30 or 40.

mumofmadboys Sat 02-Nov-19 20:36:28

I wash everything at 40 and we are all still here and healthy!( probably a good immune system!)

PamelaJ1 Sat 02-Nov-19 19:53:22

I read somewhere that you need a higher temperature than 30/40 for some bugs and it does your machine some good.
I still wash most things at the lower temperatures though.
I’m not sure what dish cloths are but I use cloths to clean the work surfaces. I heave loads and wash them almost after every use.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Nov-19 19:33:23

I do everything at 30 if I was a manual worker I d do towels at more but I m not I shower every day and live alone how dirty do they get if washed regularly My knickers are changed every day only stay on my clean body 12 hours so why do they need boiling
I don’t use dishclthes , tea towels are used on washed and cleaned pots (so mainly just wet) aren’t they ?
All good

EllanVannin Sat 02-Nov-19 18:57:42

Bedding, towels, tea-towels, dishcloths, vests, knickers at 60 degrees. The rest at 40.

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:51:07

I boil dishcloths in a pan of soapy water on the stove. It's what my gran & my mum did, and I do too. I'm talking the knitted cotton string type. I also use those spirally steel things but they go in the dishwasher on a long hot wash with pans and roasting tins etc.