Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Excess bedding to give away

(23 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 13-Dec-19 10:12:32

I gave old duvets etc. to a local animal shelter - but be advised they do not take down filled duvets (at least my local one didn't) so check first

AlexxTG Fri 13-Dec-19 10:01:44

I think it's pretty normal thing to renew your bed set sheets, and buy something new. I've purchased Best Jersey Knit Sheets ( out here: enjoyablehouse.com/best-jersey-knit-sheets/ ) couple of weeks ago, and what I can they is that manufacturers know for sure how to produce well-qualified bed sheets with natural materials, giving people some softness and happiness because of a happy sleep.

Lins1066 Tue 05-Nov-19 22:29:18

Your local dog and cat rescue centres are always in need of bedding and towels. As charliebrown said, they can't survive without such donations.

charliebrown Tue 05-Nov-19 22:22:46

I wish I lived near you. I collect bedding, towels, etc., for our local animal rescue home who could not survive without donations of any kind. Maybe you could give one a call or better still drop them off. Also some of the homeless shelters need extra bedding.

grannyactivist Tue 05-Nov-19 22:04:13

I'm glad you've found a home for it Fairydoll. I'm always being offered bedding for my homeless charity, but it's completely impractical for my clients and so I always suggest that it's offered to the food bank. Many of the food bank clients can't afford to renew sheets and duvets etc. so they can seem like a Godsend.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 21:54:51

Fairydoll in that case it's understandable.

Our local charity shop will take clean duvet covers, sheets and top quilts but not the actual duvets, however good they are.

We took some recently and the manager did say she would pass the duvets on to the ragman. We left them there because we didn't have time to take them to the dogs' home.

Our local Women's refuge is collecting single duvet covers, sheets etc at the moment but not doubles or king size.

Iam64 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:47:26

If the bedding is unused, offer it to a women's refuge or homeless hostel. The Salvation Army will take all kinds of things, they're my go to charity, not least because they work with members of our society who are on the margins.

Fairydoll2030 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:32:09

Callistemon, I agree that it is a symptom of anxiety but being given a terminal diagnosis (as I was 15 months ago) generally makes most people anxious - I would think. My consultant has prescribed medication (I have neuropathy as a side effect of 6 months chemo )which is particularly painful at night) but as it is addictive, he is reluctant to continue with the treatment.
Anyway! I remembered earlier than an old neighbour of mine is in the local branch of the Salvation Army and gave him a call. He is popping in tomorrow and said he will more than likely take it as it will be more than welcome to some folk with the extreme cold nights expected with the rapidly approaching winter.
Apologies to anyone who thinks I was considering contributing to planetary pollution. I am being selfish here and considering my own comfort, I know.....I know......
I am dusting down my sack cloth and ashes.

Grammaretto Tue 05-Nov-19 21:04:38

I gave a load of old bedding to the PDSA. I phoned and they collected it and were very grateful.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 20:45:17

The overnight shelter for the homeless in a nearby town does not accept ‘used’ bedding. As long as it’s freshly laundered and not been used much, I would have thought they would be pleased with such donations as they must get through a lot of bedding.

aggie Tue 05-Nov-19 20:31:52

Just. STOP. Buying ,

all that bedding takes it toll on the environment when being manufactured

Witzend Tue 05-Nov-19 20:17:08

Charity shops for good used duvet covers and sheets etc.

Old duvets are often welcomed by animal rescues. We once took a few to our local Dogs' Trust - they were very pleased to have them.

Of course there's always your local Freecycle, too.

mrsmopp Tue 05-Nov-19 20:11:45

Give it to the Salvation Army, a very worthy cause. They may even collect it. And stop buying!

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 19:40:46

Yes the local dogs' home will take bedding and towels.

But I do think you need to ask yourself why you keep buying it - this could be a symptom of anxiety.

petra Tue 05-Nov-19 19:13:37

Hear hear, Gonegirl

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 19:09:35

Why don't you just stop buying it? Google what the rag trade does to the environment.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 19:05:18

Good idea. Can sell on gumtree.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Nov-19 18:58:38

I m going to sound hard here but ‘luxurious’ bedwear is going to be no use whatsoever on the streets Homeless people mostly use duvets with no covers or sleeping bags and chuck them when they get wet or dirty Silk duvet sets are not going to last two minutes and will be chuck out in a flash
Why not sell them and give the money to a homeless agency or give to your favourite charity shop to raise funds for that charity

SueDonim Tue 05-Nov-19 18:54:18

Local charities here won't take duvets, pillows, etc. They're too expensive to get cleaned when you can buy them cheaply in supermarkets.

However, animal charities will take them for their rescue cats and dogs.

dragonfly46 Tue 05-Nov-19 18:52:44

We have several centres for the homeless in our town and if you call them they will pick them up.

Ilovecheese Tue 05-Nov-19 18:39:34

Age Concern?

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 18:34:28

Emmeus?

Fairydoll2030 Tue 05-Nov-19 18:31:57

I am a bit of a sucker for buying new bedding. This started over three years ago after I suffered a serious illness and after ‘enduring’ uncomfortable hospital beds, I bought a new Kingsize bed plus silk duvets, toppers and linen sheets etc.
I was in hospital again last year for six month and after I was discharged I was up and running (if only!) and buying more luxury bedding.. just today I have been online and bought some more! DH gets grumpy and says we don’t need any.
I would really like to give some of this excessive stuff away to a good cause (maybe to homeless people - until recently there were several in our town - but when I mention it to DH he gets (even more) grumpy and says do I really think he is going to hump duvets and pillows through the town centre!?

I certainly, physically,cannot do that. Has anyone got any suggestions what organisations would be willing to collect this bedding from my house so it can go to a good home? I can’t think where to start.

Be grateful for any practical suggestions.