Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Accessible loo app

(18 Posts)
Missfoodlove Tue 19-Nov-19 09:23:05

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/02/the-accessable-app-finds-places-near-you-with-great-accessibility/
Try this ?

kittylester Tue 19-Nov-19 08:25:37

boom boom marydoll!!

Marydoll Tue 19-Nov-19 08:05:28

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.
I've just purchased a Radar key.

kittylester Tue 19-Nov-19 08:02:04

nfk, that's the one I have but I wondered if it was the best!

Sillygrandma5GK Tue 19-Nov-19 07:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NfkDumpling Tue 19-Nov-19 07:27:41

We carry a Radar key in the car and I have a free Where is Public Toilet App on my phone. Its a map which picks up my location and has all the public toilets on. Covers Europe. Click on the nearest loo and it gives opening times (a lot are locked at night) but not always accessibility. I just found that one in the App Store and it was free at the time.

kittylester Tue 19-Nov-19 07:06:53

That's a great idea.

I'm sure we have had a thread where people mentioned an app!

The radar key app isnt brilliant.

Esther1 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:17:11

In our local town a pub landlady started up a scheme whereby any pub, cafe, restaurant etc in the town could, if they were willing to, put up a recognised sign (that she had printed and handed out) saying that anyone would be welcome to come in and use the toilets - no obligation to buy anything. What a thoughtful lady - and actually a smart one, because I imagine getting people over the threshold, even just to use the toilet, would mean there was a good chance they would buy something too on their way out, or even just see what a nice place it was and come back another time for a meal or drink.

Franbern Mon 18-Nov-19 09:41:02

When my UC was very very bad I had one of those cards, never managed to summon up the courage to actually use it when faced with a queue. With my ileostomy, I still have the right to one, but - know again, I would not use it.
Few years back, being driven to the Hastings by one of my daughters, we got caught on a long, very slow traffic jam. I desperately needed to empty my bag, and as we crawled through a village she pulled off into a pub car park, and I did go i n there explaining my need. They were lovely and I used their loos, then purchased some packets of crisps as I felt I was obliged to spend something there.,
Radar keys do help and most pubs have an accessible loo, motorway service stations are good, also.

kittylester Mon 18-Nov-19 09:32:51

Weve got one of those sal, dh is a bit uncomfortable using it. He is more uncomfortable not using it though. grin

I have one app but wondered if there was a better one.

I'll check out the radar keys one marydoll thank you.

Pubs are usually very helpful.

shysal Mon 18-Nov-19 09:24:47

On a similar subject, some of you might be interested in having a free 'Just Can't Wait' card which gains quick discreet toilet access, sometimes allowing use of staff only loos in shops etc. You don't need medical proof. I read about it a while ago on GN.

www.bladderandbowel.org/help-information/just-cant-wait-card/

oldgimmer1 Mon 18-Nov-19 08:59:46

Think Marydoll has nailed it!

Marydoll Mon 18-Nov-19 08:56:42

Found this Kitty.

www.radarkeys.org/app

oldgimmer1 Mon 18-Nov-19 08:52:47

I've just had a brief look and I can't find anything, be it app or otherwise, like a location map, to help find a disabled loo!

Not good.

Suggest you try age uk, disability rights or similar.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Nov-19 08:45:55

Is there such an app I must google it I usually end up asking people

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 08:36:55

Sounds like a really good idea kittylester I wonder if such a thing is already in place.

giulia Mon 18-Nov-19 08:27:15

What a great idea for a thread! Am curious to see the replies...

kittylester Mon 18-Nov-19 06:20:58

Can any one recommend an app to help us find an accessible loo while we are out and about. Thank you.