Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Elderly mum.

(8 Posts)
Bopeep14 Sat 23-Nov-19 08:48:43

My elderly mum lives on her own, and up until now has been coping reasonably well.

This last week she has had a couple of falls, the last one my brother had to call 999 as she had fallen awkwardly, luckily nothing broken just a few bruises.

It seems the paramedics have informed social services that she is a vulnerable adult, my mum is really upset about this and doesn’t want them in her house.

My brother and I look after her between us but it is getting too much for either of us.

Does anyone have any idea what will happen when social Services come?

None of the information I can find applies to mum.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Nov-19 08:59:18

Social Services will come and ask lots of questions and fill out forms. They will then assess the situation to see if your Mum would benefit from having Carers in and how often.
You say your brother and you are struggling so you must make this clear.
If your mum has savings of over £23,000 she will have to pay for this herself.
If she hasn’t already done so your mum needs to apply for a Carer’s Allowance. This is not means tested and Age Concern can help you fill out the form.
I spent years rushing up to my parent’s bungalow to pick one or other off the floor.

Cabbie21 Sat 23-Nov-19 09:02:24

The benefit she may be able to get is Attendance Allowance. Carers Allowance is for someone who cares for a recipient of AA or DLA or PIP, the disability benefits.

Bopeep14 Sat 23-Nov-19 09:04:59

Thank you so much for your quick reply dragonfly46.

My brother and I think she needs more help than we can physically do, she is unfortunately a very stubborn lady.

Hopefully we will get some help.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Nov-19 09:07:12

Sorry Cabbie you are right I was thinking too quickly.

Hetty58 Sat 23-Nov-19 09:09:24

Bopeep14, you may be offered help but will your mother accept it? Not everyone is happy with strangers in their house. Would you be?

Alexa Sat 23-Nov-19 09:13:55

After a bad fall I found social services were a big help in supplying apparatus . They gave me a zimmer walking frame, a back door handrail, a shower stool, a push along trolley, a high stool for cooking etc.(I never used that) and a commode which so far I never use.. There are even more sorts of apparatus available It's all good stuff that can stop an old person ending up in care.

Your mother will be able to pick and choose which help she wants.

They also sent me physiotherapists and occupational therapists neither of whom were any help to me)Except OTs' apparatus as mentioned above ,but their exercises might be good for your mother's needs.

Alexa Sat 23-Nov-19 09:16:20

PS Maybe point out to your mother the Queen likes lots of helpers around her smile