Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cloudy wine glasses

(14 Posts)
MiniMoon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:03:41

I too wash wine glasses by hand. I don't put them in the dishwasher.
I have some glasses with coloured stems and tumblers with coloured bottoms that I also wash by hand as the dishwasher takes off the colour. I know this because the occasional tumbler went in by accident.

This from Good Housekeeping.
How to clean cloudy glass. If your issue is hard-water minerals, all you have to do is soak your cups for five minutes in white vinegar. Since it's acetic, it'll dissolve the minerals. ... Then rinse the glasses by hand and dry them with a lint-free towel or a microfiber cloth before drinking out of them again.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:24:46

I have a dishwasher but like kittylester wash wine glasses by hand

FlexibleFriend Sun 08-Dec-19 13:22:48

The only time I had that happen was when I had some fake finish tablets from Amazon. Bought some fairy platinum and everything went back to normal. I put all my glasses in the top rack of the dishwasher and have never had any other problems.

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 12:38:32

I only put glasses that are easily replaced in the dishwasher. Ones I love are hand washed and dried regardless of how they are labelled.

I have some balloon shaped ones that I bought from Amazon which I have just dishwasher and they have come out really sparkly!

sodapop Sun 08-Dec-19 12:34:16

Yes mine does that when the salt needs topping up even though its supposed to be in the tablets. The cleaning makes a difference as well as Maggiemaybe said.

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Dec-19 12:24:45

Fingers crossed it's not permanent, but it could be. Have you used a dishwasher cleaner lately though? It always makes a huge difference to the performance of ours.

Davidhs Sun 08-Dec-19 12:23:47

In mine it’s the Salt that needs topping up, mine didn’t clean them properly afterwards nor did vinegar, it was only 2 beer glasses, so no big deal.

sunseeker Sun 08-Dec-19 12:21:53

Apparently the cloudiness is caused when the dishwasher makes tiny scratches in the glass and then limescale builds up in them. I have found spraying the cloudiness with limescale remover spray and then using a scouring pad the cloudiness clears in seconds. Make sure you wash the glass thoroughly after.

I gather you could get the same results using a paste made from scouring powder and water (can you still buy Vim?)

ninathenana Sun 08-Dec-19 12:16:22

I've had this happen when the salt and shine need topping up.
I put them in with the next load after topping up and they came out sparkling.

Elegran Sun 08-Dec-19 12:13:18

It is the effect of the chemicals in the detergent reacting with additives in the glass, and you don't even need to use too much detergent. Some glass contains different additives and doesn't have that reaction.

I don't think you will remove it, but it is worth having a go with vinegar in case it6 is limescale this time.

crystaltipps Sun 08-Dec-19 11:39:19

Could be limescale you can remove it with white vinegar. If you can’t remove it it’s possibly permanently etched, maybe using too much detergent and/or too high a temperature. If that’s the case you’ll have to replace them.

Baggs Sun 08-Dec-19 11:33:42

What do dishwashers do that make wine glasses cloudy? It can't just be hot water, can it? I suppose the glass could be impure.

You could just maintain that cloudy is the new glass ?

Elegran Sun 08-Dec-19 10:38:37

Buy replacements and don't put those in the dishwasher?

morethan2 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:28:56

I’ve just put my lovely Christmas wine glasses in my dishwasher. They’ve come out very cloudy. They are not very expensive but they are very nice. Any advice?