Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I am the only one or have others had a weird message delivered to in-box.

(13 Posts)
3nanny6 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:43:45

Just question to ask on Christmas Eve I had a message from Gransnet which went to my inbox.

The name of the sender was Iofumorgan and the message was something about a business tycoon that died in a plane crash in 2005 and the person named is apparently dealing with a large sum of money as no heirs have been found.
The message asks if I would like to be included in finding out more about this money and a phone number is given.
Obviously this is some kind of hoax, spam or fraudster and I am not interested however I did not expect messages like this on Gransnet how do I report it.
Also has anyone had the same message?

BlueBelle Thu 26-Dec-19 16:47:17

Nope aren’t you the lucky one ?

phoenix Thu 26-Dec-19 16:48:23

There's a thread about this somewhere, quite a few people got them.

The sender has been banned.

3nanny6 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:50:13

Hi BlueBelle,

The message was very long it seemed weird to me.
I could pass the phone number on to you if you are interested.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Dec-19 16:50:59

???

3nanny6 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:51:55

Thanks for that phoenix it was too weird and certainly out of place on Gransnet hope I do not get any more.

Elegran Thu 26-Dec-19 17:42:11

To report a private message, you just click on the "Report this message" link just above the message. Each and every Pm you receive has this link button.

The sender must have signed up with Gransnet as a member to be able to send you a private message - it is nothing to do with Gransnet itself, it is the individual who sent it.

Every member of Gransnet is able to send you a private message, and you are able to send them to other people who are members. Only a very small number of messages are trying to get money somehow from you, or be annoying in other ways. If the message is unwelcome, report it and it will be dealt with.

M0nica Thu 26-Dec-19 18:36:53

I got one, but didn't bother to read it, just deleted it. It looked to me like one of those age old Nigerian scam letters, as they were called when they first appeared about 10 or 15 years ago

Tedber Fri 27-Dec-19 18:48:40

Haven't had one on Gransnet but LOTS of emails in past of similar vein! Going back years I would add! Somebody (usually in Africa somewhere) always has a client who has no relatives but is a millionaire, died intestate and needs an outlet for their money! And guess what? MY bank account is just waiting for it ha ha ha.

What I have had recently is several texts telling me to phone a number because my apple id has been compromised and is needed to be disconnected unless I phone the number urgently!

Guess what? I've ignored the texts and my apple id works fine!

Just be vigilant guys....so many scams out there.

MiniMoon Fri 27-Dec-19 21:26:10

I had one too! Its the first time that one of these scammers has emailed me.
I read it, had a good laugh, and then deleted it.

quizqueen Fri 27-Dec-19 21:33:34

I never open private message on gransnet/mumsnet so anyone who sends me one is wasting their time. As far as I'm concerned this is an open anonymous forum and I do not expect to be contacted privately through it without my permission, which I have not given.

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Dec-19 00:01:25

Yes I got it and reported it.

welbeck Sat 28-Dec-19 03:00:24

I think by joining one implicitly gives permission for other members to use the private message facility to contact us if they wish.
of course, if we wish we can delete all or any of them without reading...
OP, don't be worried by these scams. the senders use any methods possible, including joining these type of forums. forewarned is forearmed, and warn others around you.