Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hand made or commercial gifts

(13 Posts)
H1954 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:12:50

I could think of no better place than GN to do a bit of market research into members opinions on hand made gifts compared to commercially sourced.

So, what would be your personal preference on anything that was handmade to very high specific quality with safety in mind as well as on trend designs as apposed to something selected from a store with a "label"?

Scribbles Fri 27-Dec-19 16:56:06

Do you mean "hand made" by the person giving the gift or something hand made which the giver has bought, e.g. At a charity craft fair?

If somebody has made me something nice, with love and care, then I will cherish it. On the other hand, if they present me with a knitted jumper full of dropped stitches and dodgy cable patterns, then I'd rather they'd just bought something or not bothered at all!

One of my most cherished possessions is a huge Ottoman chest made for me by my OH when I couldn't find anything like what I wanted online or in the shops. However, on a couple of birthdays, he's presented me with a bespoke leather jacket and some cloisonné earrings - hand made by someone else but chosen and commissioned with care and love.

Personally, I don't mind about labels. If someone gives me a bottle of supermarket bath foam because they love me, then I'm delighted and grateful.

grannypiper Fri 27-Dec-19 17:56:42

I much prefer selfmade gifts but am more than happy with bought craft presents

H1954 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:04:29

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I really meant to say, very well made by the giver but I guess craft sale goods might be considered too, providing they are of good standard.

rosenoir Fri 27-Dec-19 18:06:21

Handmade sounds so much better than homemade.

Tedber Fri 27-Dec-19 18:42:23

I am always grateful for anything no matter where it comes from!

PamGeo Fri 27-Dec-19 18:45:33

Any gift that has a little thought in it, bought or not is always welcome.

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-Dec-19 19:34:37

It’s always handmade in our house if possible. I treasure those things. Both my daughters gave me handmade gifts this year .

HettyMaud Fri 27-Dec-19 19:39:03

30 years ago a young lady gave me padded coat hangers that she had made herself. I loved them and the thought behind them and still remember that gift. I'm sure I'll have received far more expensive things since but that's the one I remember.

dragonfly46 Fri 27-Dec-19 19:54:04

My DS’s sister in law came to stay for Christmas a few years ago and gave me beautiful bottles of flavoured oils and jars of flavoured salts beautifully presented. I was very touched at how much effort had gone into them. She and my DS also cooked the Christmas dinner from scratch. It took them hours!

etheltbags1 Fri 27-Dec-19 19:58:43

I wouldn't mind a dodgy jumper with dropped stitches because I could pick them up and fix it. I would love it. I was once given a half finished jumper and loved doing it

ginny Fri 27-Dec-19 20:43:21

Anything given with thought and love is wonderful but a gift made and given does seem extra special in some ways.

SirChenjin Fri 27-Dec-19 21:59:32

I love (some) handmade gifts - padded coat hangers as mentioned upthread, soap, hand cream, lavender bags, a really well knitted hat and scarf in something like a fair isle pattern which is way beyond anything I could knit, those kind of practical things are fab. Decorative bits of twigs and painted glass, that kind of thing - not so much.