Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Best dolls for a 2yr old

(9 Posts)
curvygran950 Sat 04-Jan-20 17:47:33

Hello and Happy New Year,

I would like to give my 2 yr old granddaughter a baby doll as a gift for when a new baby brother/sister arrives in her family in a few months time.
Can anyone recommend a cuddly, realistic one that has been successful with grand children ? It must look and feel like as realistic as possible please !
I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 18:05:31

Some of the realistic newborn dolls looks rather creepy imo!

MY DD had a German doll but that was years ago, it had a soft body but normal doll face and she loved it.

However, Baby Annabelle was a great success for one DGD as she has a range of accessories so a 2 year old can care for her just like mummy does with the baby.
The bottle become redundant though, as Baby Annabelle spent some time being 'breast fed.'

Suki70 Sat 04-Jan-20 18:09:33

For her 2nd birthday I bought my great, great niece this baby doll from A****n:
Doll's World 8101 Little Treasure, 15 inch, soft bean filled, with removeable outfit, bottle and dummy.
Her Mummy sent me a video of her receiving it - she immediately cuddled it and put (rammed!) the dummy and bottle in the doll's mouth. Seemed to be a success.

welbeck Sat 04-Jan-20 18:09:43

think you should ask the parents their view on this.
some object to gendered toys, conditioning girls to limited roles, stereotyping etc, although I guess that's not your motivation, rather coping with poss sibling rivalry.
can be a tricky area, re family dynamics. even moreso, best to ask parents what would be best, how, if, you can help.
good luck.

Susan56 Sat 04-Jan-20 18:15:15

My granddaughter loves her baby Annabelle.When her little brother arrived she was given baby Alexander,Annabelle’s brother.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 18:17:21

I don't see why a boy shouldn't have a doll too if it helps alleviate feelings of jealousy when a new baby arrives.

The doll could be a boy too, you can buy male baby dolls.
We bought Annabelle because DGD1 had a baby sister.

Do you know the sex of the new baby yet, curvygran?

MiniMoon Sat 04-Jan-20 18:42:01

My daughter had a rag doll when her brother was born. She loved it and I thought she would keep it forever.
She was out shopping with her Dad one day, and baby in a pushchair was crying. She gave her rag doll to the baby. She must have been ready to let it go, as she never asked for it again.

Farmor15 Sat 04-Jan-20 20:12:34

I was in similar situation and wanted to get a doll for nearly 2 year old GD whose mother is expecting new baby shortly. Having looked at what was on offer, I ended up with one from JC toys - bought in local toyshop. Can also get from A***. It came with a nappy, towel, bottle, potty, dummy and bib. I made some clothes and another nappy, so she could change it. Parents got a set with cot, buggy and highchair. So far it's been successful. GD likes putting her in highchair and feeding, also trying to change nappy.
I decided against soft bodied one, as GD will probably want to bath her baby and didn't give bottle or potty yet as mother will be breastfeeding and GD never had a bottle.

Urmstongran Sat 04-Jan-20 20:49:38

A year ago we bought our 2y old granddaughter two dollies. One was a white girl, the other a brown boy (with a nub - she has an older brother and was delighted with him!). The main thing she LOVED (still does) is being able to undress them - although they rarely have their clothes on for some reason) was being able to put them into her own bath in an evening and wash them! And shampoo their heads. And take a toy spoon and ‘feed’ them bubbles ....

A joy to sit and listen to.
❤️