Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I make my house smell lovely?

(63 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:16:02

How do I make my house smell lovely? I've tried everything pot pourri, air fresheners, essential oils. those reed things etc. But after a short while the smell just goes. I'm not saying my house smells horrible but just smells of nothing. I want to be able to open my front door to a really lovely smell every time I come home. I've been in other people's houses and they seem able to achieve this.

Gemini1789 Mon 13-Jan-20 16:49:58

Happy Bumble Bee you beat me to it
Zoflora. Buy from Home Bargains or supermarkets.
Wipe over surfaces with zoflora diluted in water. Leave a capful added to water in container overnight. I love it !
There’s bound to be some chemicals in it but hey !

ThisLittlePiggy Sat 11-Jan-20 18:38:44

The problem is that we all go "nose blind" after awhile so if you consistently use the same thing you'll eventually stop smelling it. I clearly remember the smell of a friend's house which I particularly loved - Lord Sheraton furniture polish. I often commented on the smell but she couldn't detect it at all!

Deedaa Wed 08-Jan-20 23:12:53

I've got one of Angela Strawbridge's scent diffusers in my bedroom which has a lovely light perfume. I've also got a Laura Ashley olive and lemon room spray which is lovely in the kitchen.

Shropshirelass Wed 08-Jan-20 07:41:34

Coffee on the go and bread in the oven, these beat artificial smells. If you have pets you have to be careful with plug in diffusers. I believe that some oils are toxic to animals when the vapours are inhaled.

Liz46 Wed 08-Jan-20 07:37:58

I used to love freesias but the ones that I find now don't have that lovely smell. I tried to grow some but that wasn't very successful.

Plugins are awful. My neighbour uses one and it takes my breath away.

Namsnanny Wed 08-Jan-20 03:13:30

Lucywinter flowers not Freesias Im afraid!
annodomini … I find the freesias with the best and strongest fragrance are usually a red rusty colour. The second best are the white ones.
They're not available everywhere, and are seasonal, so not often in the supermarkets.

10 stems cost £4.99 in my local florist, good value I think!

Hetty58 Tue 07-Jan-20 23:16:58

I think we'd better add to this by eliminating the 'old people' smell - as on the recent post!

annodomini Tue 07-Jan-20 23:12:50

Freesias do have a wonderful natural fragrance, but the freesias you can buy in supermarkets often lack any fragrance at all. If I want to send flowers to family or friends I order from a grower in Cornwall who supplies only flowers in season and sends them beautifully packaged by first class post. All the recipients have told me how very fragrant their flowers are.

lucywinter Tue 07-Jan-20 22:49:35

Namsnanny is right about the freesias. Nothing smells better. Hyacinths smell lovely for a few days but the smell when they start to go over can be horrible.

Hate all this artificial smelly junk you get these days. Makes me cough or gives me a headache. Or both.

SirChenjin Tue 07-Jan-20 21:23:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 07-Jan-20 20:31:53

Perhaps it was his chat up line PamelaJ1 grin.
Have you read the list of chemical ingredients in your lovely fabric softener I wonder HappyBumbleBee?
I don't know what Zoflora contains.

HappyBumbleBee Tue 07-Jan-20 17:24:20

Someone told me this and I tried it and it really does work...
Empty spray bottle, small bottle of zoflora, a lid full of fabric softener and then top up with water. I use it for everything, wiping down the worktops, spray on soft furnishings, curtains, carpet, rugs, dogs bed etc etc.
You do get used to whatever you are using though and become "nose blind" so although you can't smell your air freshener, other people who visit would until they'd got used to it x
Also, use your radiators to dry towels or clothes that have been washed with a lovely fabric softener x

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:16:51

Unfortunately the man in front of me at the queue in the supermarket asked me what perfume I liked in my house.
He’d picked up the wrong plug in smell and was waiting for an assistant to bring the correct one.

Unfortunately I told him I wouldn’t give one house room!
He looked a bit subdued when he left especially when the ladyon the checkout agreed with me?
Poor man

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 15:53:16

I do agree open windows is helpful. But not in the case of a persistent smell.
Needs a more hands on approach.

also it's not possible for a variety of reasons for some people.

Don't forget ones home essentially smells of who e ever lives there, and we can easily become 'nose blind'!!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 07-Jan-20 15:06:12

Smell is a very importance sense and some fragrances can be mood enhancing. We can often recall meaningful events, or people when we smell a certain fragrance.
Incense for example can have a psychoactive effect, and has been used for years to aid religious practices.
I love perfume and feel good when I wear my favourite scent.
I can only think that this is a strong reason that we may be seduced into using so many products in our homes with toxic chemical "perfumes", that may, in the long term be detrimental to health.

Shelmiss Mon 06-Jan-20 13:30:59

I have various diffusers around my house and it smells lovely. The trick is to turn them at least once a day so the reeds don’t completely dry out.

blondenana Mon 06-Jan-20 13:11:22

Lilies scent the whole house,but i can't use them because i have cats and they are poisonous to catS
I like Yankee candles but i recently noticed all my window frames have black marks on them so stopped
I do buy an occasional candle from wilkos, the cashmere one is lovely and only £5 for a large size
Lavendar plugins by Glade are lovely too, and not too strong, but i only put one in my bedroom

3nanny6 Mon 06-Jan-20 12:31:20

I have been in several homes of friends and they use the scented plug ins which I thought were very nice.
I liked scented candles myself but after awhile the smell evaporates away.
I bought a couple of the scented plug ins and looked forward to a nice smelling house but only problem was the over exuberant dogs at walk time tails wagging like leather whips which dislodged the plug ins from the plug base so thought this could get dangerous for the dogs as all chemical additives so gave up and left it for fresh flowers and candles used as and when.

Singlegrannie Mon 06-Jan-20 11:08:13

I also prefer my home to smell of nothing ! I recently had a 10 minute taxi ride which left me feeling ill for the rest of the day because of the strong air freshener. My heart sinks if I have to spend time in a house with artificial smells. Don't like perfumes on people either.

JenniferEccles Mon 06-Jan-20 10:50:36

I am another fan of having windows open.
Even on very cold days I always open the windows for a while and the bedroom and bathroom windows are mostly open all day.

So many people are reluctant to do this then wonder why they get condensation .

I agree with whoever suggested freesias. They have a wonderful subtle smell and the blooms are so pretty too. I also like the smell of furniture polish.

We are lucky were we live as there are lots of trees here so the air quality is good.

Gaunt47 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:21:43

Wood burning stoves seem to be a favourite target at the moment!
I'm not really surprised at the results of those air quality tests Greeneyed, the city flat could have been on the 32nd floor and the village in Derbyshire in a valley.
And I too grew up with open coal or coke fires. Bonfires in the garden which burnt most household rubbish so there was very little for the dustmen to take away.

PernillaVanilla Mon 06-Jan-20 10:21:41

When our cleaner has been the whole house smells, lovely, not scented but just clean. ~She uses only method products which she brings with her and I'd certainly carry on using them if she left us. If I have visitors coming I open the windows, buy some flowers and have a quick polish with a beeeswax based spray polish on the wood, which always makes the place smell lovely. I have a lot of allergies and plug ins etc. make me very unwell.

Davida1968 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:15:03

I agree with greeneyedgirl and others. No smell is the best smell! Our windows have air "vents", which we keep open almost 24/7, unless there are very strong winds. I open the bedroom windows at night and all windows at any appropriate opportunity in the daytime. Some companies are making a fortune from peddling these so called "air fresheners: I'm convinced that they are unnecessary and my heart sinks when I smell them anywhere. (If we rent a holiday home with "air fresheners", I remove them until we leave.)

Greeneyedgirl Mon 06-Jan-20 10:08:34

Very good point Gaunt and you'd think this was so. I looked at a site Airqualitynews.com and was very surprised. Apparently air quality monitors were placed in houses in 4 different locations in the country, and the city flat (Manchester centre) had better, although not good, air quality, than a house in a village in Derbyshire.
They decided it was because of.........wood burning stoves! I now wonder how any of us survived to a ripe(ish) old age considering that most of us grew up with open coal and wood fires. Fewer cars around then I suppose.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jan-20 09:50:34

Fair point Gaunt47