Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice from walkers

(91 Posts)
pennyh47 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:29:47

I’m hoping some of you can advise me about walking. I’m quite a fit 72 year old and my OH and I walk a lot. However I’ve been getting a lot of back pain and also sometimes across my shoulders. I will be living in Spain and wear flat sandals mostly. However was thinking I need better shoes. Problem is I have size 7/8 feet and want something practical but nice enough to wear with sundresses. I’ve seen some Sketcher shoes that look lovely although not tried any on. Would appreciate thoughts and ideas. Also I think carrying a handbag doesn’t help and think maybe a pretty and small backpack may be better. Again appreciate any ideas
Thank you

GreenGran78 Sat 11-Jan-20 10:36:25

I have a friend who travels extensively and does a huge amount of walking. She swears by her Birkenstock’s, and wouldn’t wear anything else. They are a little uncomfortable at first, until they shape themselves to your foot,she says, but pure bliss afterwards. They are quite expensive, but very hard wearing, and last her for several years.

inishowen Sat 11-Jan-20 10:42:45

I recently bought two pairs of Reiker shoes at £65 each. They have been life changing. I was guilty of buying cheap shoes which were wrecking my feet. From now on I will wear Reiker or Hotter, both quality shoes.

RosesAreRed21 Sat 11-Jan-20 10:58:06

I’m
Never out of my Sketchers in the summer - just love them - like walking on air - even persuaded my hubby who will never try anything new to change - he is hocked like me now

Solonge Sat 11-Jan-20 10:59:02

Comfort, dry feet and longevity are what I care about...the first two most important. I buy Sketchers....nothing else. The ones I have are men’s, black lace up...they are like a trainer but in a waterproof material, not leather. I’ve had mine 18 months....they have an inbuilt gel pad, like walking on air...I’ve done ten miles in them at one go and everything aches except my feet. I wear them daily, walk 6 dogs in the countryside wearing them. I clean them under a tap or hose and polish them up with gold furniture polish. I jazzed them up with rainbow laces. They cost sixty quid, but I’ve worn them daily, they look brand new....they will last at least another five years. I won’t buy anything but Sketchers.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:04:16

My most comfortable shoes just now are Brookes Adrenaline Walkers, the ones I have are not suitable for a Spanish summer (Brown suede), and are expensive. These were recommended for my awkward feet by a podiatrist. Otherwise I go for Skechers every time.

Moira29 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:16:11

I have a narrow foot, high instep and am just a size 3. Have over the years wasted money on uncomfortable shoes. Have discovered Vionic shoes and get them online they are really comfortable. They do all sorts of styles and sizes. They can be expensive but often have sales on.

Traceyac Sat 11-Jan-20 11:24:36

Bit of a long one but...... I have very odd!!! Feet ? size 4 and now bunions hammer toe very tiny little toes (with no toenail) and planter fasciitis!!!!! Have suffered with a bad back THAT comes from wearing my comfy old shoes that have worn down throw them out (sorry i know they are comfy) but would do this over a bad back but i now have skechers and flit flops try and go to the shop (you get better fitting) and for short times other shoes i also put them in the washing machine regularly to keep them fresh and re energised and sort of puff up the insoles (get a laundry bag or use a pillow case) and wash with towels or something bulky to stop them rattling about) hope that helps

Traceyac Sat 11-Jan-20 11:29:23

I would recommend putting them in the washing machine every now and again (i don't have the gel insoles) but it helps refresh them and last longer

Nanny41 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:32:11

I wouldnt have anything else except Skechers,I started after being recommended them on GN a few years ago when I had trouble with my feet, they are SO comfy and light as air. I have several pairs and just bought a winter boot on line which are waterproof, of course since buying them the weather has been too mild to wear them but the time will come.Purchase a pair pennyh47 you wont be disappointed.

gilld69 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:41:59

i bought fit flops this year as i have shin splints and painful heels they made life so much better as they are wedged and not flat approx 40 -50 pound a pair but well worth the money

nanamac77 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:49:29

Agree with most of this.
There is also Flyflot ( as opposed to Fitflop). I actually bought a pair from Flyflot thinking I was buying from Fitflop, which annoys me as I suspect there was a deliberate reason for choosing a similar name! However, some of the Flyflot shoes suit me well. I have extra wide feet, bunions, arthritis and plantar fascitis so can only wear backless shoes.
I am now careful to distinguish the flops from the flots!!

Grannycool52 Sat 11-Jan-20 12:30:03

I concur with Grandtante & others about Ecco. I've found them great as walking shoes & sandals.
I agree that you should ditch the handbag and buy a lightweight small backpack. Kipling are lovely, but if you need a supportive one for your back I suggest going to a good outdoor store.

Glosgran Sat 11-Jan-20 13:19:56

Skechers have transformed my life! I had chronic pain in my feet and my first purchase was a pair of Skechers sandals. Since then I've bought 3 x pairs casual shoes and a pair of Bobs ankle boots. My daughter was recommended to buy them by a podiatrist when referred for knee pain and they've totally ended her knee pain. I tell everyone to buy them. We have a Designer Outlet in our town with a Skechers shop do they're no more expensive than other shoes and SO comfortable to wear.

JaneJANE60 Sat 11-Jan-20 13:20:38

I think all my shoes, boots, sandals etc are FitFlops. I can walk miles in them. Check their website as loads of styles and nearly always have a sale of some kind. Good luck

Phloembundle Sat 11-Jan-20 13:29:00

Ecco are my go to sandals. I have worn them everywhere and they last for years. For looks I love Pikolinos.

Redactrice Sat 11-Jan-20 14:16:17

I would strongly recommend orthotic insoles. I definitely do not have fallen arches (exactly the opposite) but I find they make any decent flat shoes (ecco if you can afford them, or trainers) blissfully comfortable.

Crechat39 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:19:38

Skechers for me too although my walks are not too long.
They have a huge range of styles. Sandals, boots, shoes. Best to try them on though, ie. visit a shop or buy online from a source where you can return them I have two pairs of shoes which look identical but I took 7.5 in one and 8 in the other.
My daughter washes hers in the washing machine.
Use a bag with a cross-body straps. I always do otherwise I get backache. Also if you feel to need a bit secure, you can sweep the actual bag to the front. Do need a longer handle though.

SueB14 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:44:40

Skechers are the most comfortable footwear ever. Highly recommend.

Susan56 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:51:40

Well as a direct result of this thread,my new fit flops have just been delivered?

icanhandthemback Sat 11-Jan-20 15:06:11

Have you thought of seeing a good podiatrist and getting your walking analysed. They can then see if it is anything to do with your feet. If not, you will just be wasting your money. I found MBT's brilliant but they have been taken over by the Chinese and they are just not the same. I also like Skechers and FitFlops, the former because their memory foam insoles are good with the latter having nice thick soles to cushion impact shock.

JanT8 Sat 11-Jan-20 15:13:37

Fitflops all the time! I have boots, ballerinas, slippers, toeposts and I love all of them! Very supportive and super comfy, can’t recommend them enough!
Always buy in the sales though and the ‘Shoetique’ website is always worth a look as they have many Fitflop styles.

Shizam Sat 11-Jan-20 15:23:40

I used to love fitflops, the thonged ones for summer wear. But I’ve had to give up on them as have found the thong part stretches over time making them too loose to wear. Found my toes were gripping on to soles. Also tripped several times wearing them.

annodomini Sat 11-Jan-20 15:41:43

I've thought of Fitflops before, but stuck to Hotters as I knew they would fit me. However, I couldn't find another style I really liked to replace my 'tired' everyday black flats, so have taken a chance on a pair of Fitlops loafers and ordered them. I hope they are right for my feet.

Ellianne Sat 11-Jan-20 15:42:10

Oh yes, along with Seibel I also like Rieker footwear. Both German I believe, comfortable and last well.

vissos Sat 11-Jan-20 16:00:19

My podiatrist also said Skechers don't have enough support. Sadly, she also didn't like Crocs which I found the only shoes I could wear when on my feet all day - mostly standing around with very little walking (Arsenal steward).
Was referred to the podiatrist as I had chronically painful feet - even woke up with them painful. Assumed it was arthritis (also in knees, hands, wrists & elbows) I now have orthotic insoles which have solved that problem - thanks NHS!
Can you get a podiatrist appt via your doctor? Obv supportive shoes also help.