Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Smart casual jacket please

(8 Posts)
Caramac Sat 11-Jan-20 18:08:05

Hello All,
I’ve got plenty of coats, a fleece, (or two), and a waterproof jacket, (or two).
I am being greedy in wanting a lightweight jacket but unsure where to look. I definitely don’t want a blazer as I’m apple shaped and they really don’t flatter me.
Any advice will be much appreciated especially if it’s not an expensive jacket.
Thank you

lemongrove Sat 11-Jan-20 18:48:39

A three quarter length ( or almost) may suit you better Caramac something unlined and informal.Think you may have to wait for Spring fashions to arrive in the shops though.
Debenhams usually have a good choice of jackets.

Missfoodlove Sat 11-Jan-20 19:01:17

Pamela Scott is a great web site, this Irish company have some great designs and sensible prices.
The one pictured is a good year round smart/casual jacket.

Caramac Sun 12-Jan-20 09:47:35

Thank you ladies

Caramac Sun 12-Jan-20 10:40:26

@missfoodlove, thank you for the advice re Pamela Scott website. There are some lovely clothes on there, stylish but not ‘old person’ or ‘mutton’.

ladymuck Sun 12-Jan-20 10:45:27

I think suede or mock-suede is nice and looks good on anyone.

Alexa Sun 12-Jan-20 10:50:55

I had exactly the same problem as Caramac and I gave up on jackets. I wonder if a black cashmere cardigan would be better than a jacket.

Caramac Tue 14-Jan-20 13:17:35

I have bought a new jacket! Well it’s actually a coat to be honest. It’s powder blue, synthetic wool type fabric, rever collar and just below my knee length (I’m 5’3”). It looks really smart but could equally be worn with jeans - and it cost £11!
On the sale rail at Asda. I’m thrilled with my bargain 😁. Thanks to DD who invited me to go to Asda with her last night. I also bought a beautiful soft jumbo cord skirt in a mustard shade for £7.