Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Trouser troubles!

(18 Posts)
phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 15:29:57

Hello all, and good wishes.

Mr P has a problem with 2 pairs of his trousers.

They are in good order, and fit as well as can be hoped for (he's not exactly a standard shape or size confused )BUT the little tab things that are used to pull up the zip have come off and gone missing!

I know I could pay to have new zips put in (I don't sew) but wondered if anyone has any bright ideas?

KarenHigginsbottom Sun 19-Jan-20 15:30:55

Elastic bands?

MerylStreep Sun 19-Jan-20 15:34:17

Fuse wire. Firmly scwished together so that you don't catch the end on your hand.

DoraMarr Sun 19-Jan-20 15:34:33

Paperclips? Safety pins? Fusewire?

Gaunt47 Sun 19-Jan-20 15:35:02

Paper clip through the hole is sufficient to pull the zip and down. Take it out before washing though!

Septimia Sun 19-Jan-20 15:50:50

Paperclip, certainly.
But some of those catalogues of 'useful' things have repair kits for zips. I'm sorry I can't remember which, though!

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 15:52:50

Thank you all for the replies.

But sadly, no hole to put anything through sad

I have used both the rubber band and paperclip method on my own trousers in the past, so that was the first thing I though of.

Septimia Sun 19-Jan-20 15:57:56

No hole? That's a pain!

FiL needed zips repaired on his trousers. It was a job I could do, but a rotten one, so we found a repair shop locally and got the man there to do it. It was surprisingly cheap - cheaper than new trousers.

Is there maybe a similar place near you, perhaps tucked away somewhere not obvious?

timetogo2016 Sun 19-Jan-20 16:00:00

Take zip out and attach Velcro with material glue.
Other than that when zipped up put a safety pin under the zip to stop it rolling down.

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jan-20 16:06:25

Baler twine is good! grin

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 16:10:12

My neighbour is very good for putting zips in etc, but himself thinks that by the time we have bought new zips, paid to have them out in etc, he may as well buy new ones!

Admittedly they weren't expensive, George at Asda (they fit him and wash well) but I hate waste!

Doodle Sun 19-Jan-20 16:16:38

Broken and missing zip pulls on two pairs of trousers ? what have you been up to phoenix ?
You can buy replacement zipper sliders on Amazon and a video called How to fix every zipper issue on YouTube says you can snip off the old zipper with a pair of players and slide on a new one from the top.

H1954 Sun 19-Jan-20 16:20:00

Unless you can find a "how to repair video" and a list of components they I'd say chuck them! Replacing zips is a tedious job as, when trousers are made, the zip is probably the first thing to attach. This means that it's concealed and very difficult to replace like for like! Cost of new zip + seamstress charge = more than a new pair!!!!!

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 16:39:40

Doodle apart from washing and ironing them, Mr P's trousers are a foreign country to me sad . Will have a look on Amazon, thanks for the tip.

H1954 that is what Mr P feels, but it just seems wrong to bin 2 pairs of trousers that (zips notwithstanding) have lots of wear left in them.

Eglantine21 Sun 19-Jan-20 17:03:36

John Lewis sell little clips like these for hanging up light curtains like nets. They’ve got quite a tight grip. I hung duvet covers with them once as a curtain. I think the would grip onto the remaining ‘nub” ?

I put a penny there so you could see the size.

BBbevan Sun 19-Jan-20 17:05:51

If anyone lives near Carmarthen, there is a wonderful shop there, down a little alley, that does every sort of sewing repair. Well worth taking anything you need done

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jan-20 18:10:29

www.ebay.co.uk/p/6027895828?iid=383340878137&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mk

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 18:25:23

Thank you all!

I have just ordered something from Amazon that I hope will work, was under £3, so if it doesn't work, then not a huge loss, although the reviews indicate that should!