Ask a gran

Whites

(9 Posts)
hazel93 Fri 24-Jan-20 13:06:34

Re. another thread - add soda crystals.

annodomini Fri 24-Jan-20 12:52:51

that should read sometimes at 60

annodomini Fri 24-Jan-20 12:52:13

I have a white duvet cover, pillow cases and white cotton fitted sheets which are still as white as the day I bought them 17 years ago. I don't have any special secret, although obviously I always wash them separately. Nowadays I wash them with an Eco Egg, usually at 40 or sometimes at degrees.

Baggs Fri 24-Jan-20 12:42:36

There used to be something you could put in with net curtains to help keep them white.

Baggs Fri 24-Jan-20 12:41:33

I agree, rosenoir. Cotton and linen will stay properly white if washed at high temperatures, but any fabric with synthetic yarns in it won't stay white. It's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

notanan2 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:35:05

Whites need sunlight IMO

Plus hot temps "cook in" biological stains so hot washes dont = cleaner looking clothes.

rosenoir Fri 24-Jan-20 12:28:31

I find that unless the whites are pure cotton they discolour at high temperatures.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:22:44

I don't know if this will help Joelsnan but I always put a Colourcatcher paper in with each wash. This will need to be either pinned onto something big or placed inside a laundernet bag - or it may block the pipework.
I suppose the colours are bound to deteriorate in time though.

Joelsnan Fri 24-Jan-20 12:07:48

I have a number of ‘first world’ questions however the one that is bugging me at the moment is:

Why, when I always wash whites separately on a hot wash, do they eventually turn a dull grey?
I do occasionally add that whitening powder but still they do not maintain their new bought whiteness.

Does anyone else wonder why?