Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What on earth is wrong with me?

(207 Posts)
phoenix Fri 24-Jan-20 17:52:40

Hello all,

Feeling rather less than tickety boo confused

Freezing cold and shivering (heating is on and turned up to almost 23 shock) headache.

Was fine this morning, until halfway through my mug of tea, when I suddenly had to dash to the loo.

It wasnt pretty, a mop and bucket had to be deployed blush

Had a shower, and a slice of dry toast, waited until I thought it was safe, and set off to Lidl.

Gentle reader, if you are of a sensitive disposition, look away now.

On getting out of the car, the world fell out of my bottom shockblush Fortunately I was wearing dark jeans.

Back in car (carrier bag on seat, just in case). Indoors, clothes in the washing machine and another shower.

It is since then that I have had the bad headache and felt so very cold. I'm usually the one complaining that house is too hot!

Any ideas? I'm not usually prone to bowel problems.

phoenix Fri 31-Jan-20 17:46:14

Jane10 definitely X rated, that's for sure.

Jane10 Fri 31-Jan-20 13:31:45

I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better. Phoenix. Don't rush to tell us about your worst 'incident'. Maybe your post could come with a warning like the Netflix programmes - may contain yukky stuff!

harrigran Fri 31-Jan-20 12:13:06

Pleased to hear you got to know what was causing the problem, will take some getting over. Hope you feel better soon.

phoenix Fri 31-Jan-20 08:18:23

Thank you all.

Yes, it is grim, it's been a very long time since I felt as ill as I did a few days ago, however, feeling a bit better each day, although not symptom free yet.

No tingling Missfoodlove although have had quite bad cramp in my hands (especially my wiping one) blush

Later today I may post about the very worst incident!

Eloethan Thu 30-Jan-20 22:47:12

That sounds really horrible - and very embarrassing.

Hope you soon feel better.

Missfoodlove Thu 30-Jan-20 21:32:42

So pleased you are on the mend, it’s a grim and undignified affliction!

Please be very aware that there is a strong link with some campylobacter strains and Guillain Barre Syndrome.

I was told that if I felt any tingling in fingers, legs or toes, unsteadiness, muscle weakness to call 999.

Unless you’re already aware please google GBS and check it out.

If you were unlucky enough to get it then speed is of the essence.

I hope you regain your strength soon, it scared the bejesus out of me.
Public health never figured it out and as you I had eaten the same food as my partner.
They reckon it could have been from a door handle or similar.

I couldn’t believe that after days of just water I could still produce s@@t although it was like pond water!!

The drip and antibiotics were amazing though!

Once better I looked and felt great!Its the ultimate detox?

Get better ?

Doodle Thu 30-Jan-20 20:54:06

Good to hear phoenix

Jane10 Thu 30-Jan-20 19:52:37

Sounds like progress Phoenix ☺️

phoenix Thu 30-Jan-20 19:34:21

Thank you all, your messages are really apprecited!

I can recommend shea butter toilet roll, and I also have some of those moist tissue wipe things, just need to make sure I don't muddle them up with the antibacterial wipes I have been using on the taps and toilet handle!

Apparently there is a reluctance to prescribe anti biotics, but I do have anti spasmodics to take 4 times a day, which should help.

Lower "visit" count today, and only 1 last night, so hopefully on the right track!

Doodle Thu 30-Jan-20 19:24:53

? phoenix ? glad they’ve found out what’s wrong ?. Hope this means you will be on the mend soon ? I was going to send you some virtual grapes ? but decided some ????? and some Savlon for your bot would probably be better. ? get well soon ?

silverlining48 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:49:03

Campylobacter is dreadful, dh lost stack loads of weight and felt really poorly for a long time so take it easy and be patient. It’s reportable so hopefully they may find out source it but as others have said we had eaten the same.
Hope you feel. better soon.

SueDonim Thu 30-Jan-20 15:58:31

At least you know what it is now! When my Dh had it, he was given antibiotics. Like you, we had no idea where it came from. He hadn’t eaten anything different from the rest of us yet no one else was ill. confused

I hope you’ll start feeling brighter ASAP. flowers

Jane10 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:53:00

I never had anything for my campylobacter. It took its course and a nasty one at that. A public health official came to the house and grilled me on where I'd been eating out and also where I bought my groceries from. Turned out to have been a piece of undercooked chicken at an Indian restaurant when out with work colleagues.
DH got salmonella once which was much worse. He'd got it from chicken vols au vents at a local hotel function.
I don't think public health has the staff to track down these bugs in the way they used to. ?
Hope you feel much better soon Phoenix

curvygran950 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:05:57

Maybe worth a call to your doc to find out if there’s any treatment necessary? When my OH had it, he was prescribed antibiotics ...... just a thought . Get well soon and keep up the fluids !

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jan-20 10:13:22

Hopefully you are on "recovery road" Phoenix rest and take care flowers

seacliff Thu 30-Jan-20 09:45:05

Sorry Phoenix, didn't read the post properly.. It's a mystery, very annoying not to know where it came from.

phoenix Thu 30-Jan-20 09:41:11

No further treatment offered, Callistemon well, at least none mentioned during the call.

Seacliff what restaurant? We haven't eaten out in yonks!

dragonfly46 Thu 30-Jan-20 09:39:12

Gosh at least you know what it is. Apparently it comes from under cooked chicken or unpasteurised milk.
I hope you feel better soon.

annodomini Thu 30-Jan-20 09:32:21

Not nice news, phoenix, but not completely 'earth-shattering', since it's a diagnosis and hopefully treatment will be forthcoming. I hope that the public health people will be able to track down the source of the infection. All the best to you, phoenix for your return to good health. flowers

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 09:31:22

It usually needs antibiotics to clear it, hope that they prescribe some and you begin to feel better soon.

Afterwards starting a course of prebiotics could be helpful

Hope you begin to feel better soon phoenix

seacliff Thu 30-Jan-20 09:29:11

Maybe from the restaurant kitchen - when they were dishing up/handling plates etc with various people working there - one employee with unwashed hands touched your plate only? Or your food touched some uncooked poultry, during prep.

If only these horrible germs could be seen. I think you can still be infectious for a while after symptoms disappear, so be careful for a few weeks. (We had some kittens with it, once!)

Hopefully it will be totally gone in another few days.

Jessity Thu 30-Jan-20 09:27:06

Good to hear the medics know and can deal accordingly. Did they offer anything new?

Whenever I get a sickness/diarrhoea bug, OH is always unaffected. I’ve decided it must be one of my susceptibilities.

Hope you continue to improve. flowers

phoenix Thu 30-Jan-20 09:18:32

News! Doctor just phoned, the sample tested positive for Campylobacter.

Where on earth did I get it from? Mr P and I had exactly the same meals each evening and he's fine.

Marydoll Thu 30-Jan-20 08:44:22

Glad to see you posting, phoenix!

phoenix Thu 30-Jan-20 08:11:24

Hello all, and thanks for the good wishes.

Apparently, test results still not in, and I got the impression that they would only be in touch if they found something earth shattering!

Better than I was, fewer "visits" but still with very little warning, so not venturing anywhere just yet.