Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Friend's Birthday

(12 Posts)
kittylester Tue 28-Jan-20 08:16:49

A friend of dd2 makes the most fabulous personal pictures of people. Like this one of dh and I. PM me if you would like her details.

Nata Tue 28-Jan-20 08:01:52

@shysal good idea, maybe that will do, thanks!
@Missfoodlove yeah, I thought about it, too

Missfoodlove Mon 27-Jan-20 12:06:28

Could her family send you some pictures?

shysal Mon 27-Jan-20 10:31:09

It won't be made by you, but done to your specification, how about a personalised caricature/cartoon of her or you both to include a relevant setting or background of your choice?
When staff left work we used to get these done and they went down well. There are many sites when you Google, but here is one:
www.stephssketches.co.uk/

JackyB Mon 27-Jan-20 10:28:00

Making a photo book can take a few days if you want to make a nice one and have to source pictures from different places. You can scan documents, concert tickets for example, and include them (anything in jpeg format)

But allow at least 3. days for uploading and return postage. If the birthday is next week, you might not have it on time. Maybe just make a conventional album, sticking photos etc in, and writing your captions and comments by hand. Don't forget to put the date where possible!

Daddima Mon 27-Jan-20 10:15:30

I made ( well my son did) a Photoshop album for my friend’s 60th. He superimposed her face on to various pictures related to her hobbies, so she appeared as the Queen, one of the Spice Girls, marrying Rod Stewart, as Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, as Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, winning a gold medal at the Olympics, advertising the Great British Bake off and The Archers, along with others I can’t remember. She loved it.

Nata Mon 27-Jan-20 10:08:16

Thanks, ladies! I don't have a lot of her photos to fill the whole photo book with but I will look for something

Gaunt47 Mon 27-Jan-20 10:06:55

Another vote for the photo book! Apparently you can do it online, I've been shown some really good ones of holidays, weddings, etc.

FearlessSwiftie Mon 27-Jan-20 09:51:53

I agree about a photo book but it will work if you have enough photos. If not, I'd suggest making a slideshow, it is almost like a video but not exactly, more like a PowerPoint presentation. I made slides with the photos I took while travelling this summer and used a special slideshow program for that. You may try doing the same but with the photos of your friend, also you can add some text in there. The good thing is that you can choose a birthday template but don't make it too long, it may be tiring.

Sunlover Mon 27-Jan-20 09:47:49

I agree a photo book with pictures of the two of you over the years. I did one for my friends 60th and she loved it.

Missfoodlove Mon 27-Jan-20 09:12:32

I think a photo book is a great idea, there are plenty of online companies that you can use to put one together.
I personally would find a video a bit creepy.

Nata Mon 27-Jan-20 09:08:55

My friend is turning 55 next week and I want to make something special for her along with the present, some surprise maybe that she couldn't expect. My daughter thinks it would be nice to make a video about our friendhip (we've been close friends since the uni) but I'm not sure whether I will cope. Still, I want the surprise to be done by me without any help since it is important for me. What would you do? maybe I will get some ideas. Thanks