Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Coronavirus - should we prepare?

(92 Posts)
Lyndiloo Tue 11-Feb-20 02:06:33

I was talking to two women at the schoolgates today - one, a young mum, the other a grandmother, like me. They were both very concerned that the Coronavirus has now reached the UK, and were talking about 'stocking-up' on food, in case supermarkets started to close, as they have in China. They were listing all the things that it would be sensible to buy, should there be a pandemic here.

Do you think we should be worried?

Is anyone else planning to stock-up on tinned goods, frozen food, etc.?

Yennifer Tue 11-Feb-20 16:16:43

Sorry, that bit got stuck in my head somewhere lol x

farview Tue 11-Feb-20 16:31:14

Out of interest..just checked my cupboards and freezer...so with the addition of some yeast and dried milk powder...could probably get by for at least 4weeks....oops..need to add extra wine to the list...

4allweknow Tue 11-Feb-20 16:41:49

How much preparation do we all take when flu is about? This virus is reputed to be just like the flu virus. Unless you have major health issues already be sensible, keep your hands clean and don't go coughing and sneezing over folk.

Greciangirl Tue 11-Feb-20 16:46:17

I definitely won’t be stockpiling food. What a ridiculous suggestion.

Anyone would think the plague is imminent.

Hopefully, it’s being contained in Brighton at the moment.

SueDonim Tue 11-Feb-20 17:44:20

A hot toddy is my go-to remedy for everything, Merlotgran. wine

Sara65 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:13:42

On a long drive with grandchildren at the weekend, in and out of service station lavatories, I was aware of how rapidly it could spread. However thoroughly we washed our hands, we had to open the door to leave, and a lot of people don’t wash their hands. In a restaurant the lavatories were downstairs, and we all trailed up holding the bannister.

I don’t normally give it a second thought to be honest, but it did make me think how easily it could take hold.

duju Tue 11-Feb-20 18:49:45

Google ”Lifehacks” 5 reasons NOT to use hand sanitizer.

Twig14 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:57:54

Hello I do understand people worrying especially when so much is being played out on the media. Flu is dreadful and not something to be taken lightly. I was seriously ill with Swine Flu almost 10 years ago for many weeks. However, hygiene washing hands and avoiding people who are coughing will help. Incidentally I do think the Japanese policy of wearing a mask if ever you have a cold is normal practice My son who works out in Tokyo was due to fly into the UK last Thursday to attend our Golden Wedding last weekend However, he went down with a really bad cough and cold and as Japan was one of the 9 countries that our chief NHS medical officer had put on the list to make sure anyone arriving from one of those countries with cough etc would be monitored. My son decided best not to come very disappointing but at least he chose to do the correct thing and not fly on an aircraft and spread germs. As for stocking up people make their own decisions on this.

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 19:22:40

I have a chest freezer, 14 cubic feet, I have meat, vegetables, readymeals, bread, butter and so on in there. A hangover from my days at work I do a big shop every 5 weeks and only need to buy vegetables and stuff like that in the intervening weeks. As it has turned out I will be doing a 'big' shop this week. Once that is done, I would be able to hold out for at least a month, possibly longer. I still have kale and other cabbagy things in the garden. I will not be buying any extras, just in case.

The death rate for Covid-19, the virus's official name (just announced) is very low as, as well as those counted with the illness, there will be many others in China who have had a very mild attack of the illness, who have either not realised they had it, or just decided to keep clear of the medical authorities and self quarantened.

Menopauselbitch Tue 11-Feb-20 22:20:35

But surely you should have all the food you stocked up on from Brexit ??

MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 22:25:33

Any excuse for a panic buy!
I refuse to stockpile anything and if I runout of the important things like Prosecco, I shall have to bite the bullet and start on the Tempranillo!
Tissues and Lemsip though......?????

Iam64 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:00:16

That's the spirit MawB sunshine

Daisymae Wed 12-Feb-20 09:07:03

Grannybeek - I thought that self isolation was for 14 days?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:11:57

I am ok for wine/fizz and frozen prawns, scallops and turkey curry. I also have two tins of Christmas Biscuits and a couple of boxes of chocolates???

I will survive ?????

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 09:25:17

It is 14 days Daisymae

If the Director-General of the WHO is concerned, I don't think we should feel too blasè about this virus, particularly if some of us have compromised immune systems. It seems to be occurring in unexpected places.

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 09:25:49

Blasé

merlotgran Wed 12-Feb-20 09:33:23

DH has gone fishing (short trip) for the first time since his long stay in hospital last year and subsequent heart problems.

He's been really looking forward to it but he's lost his confidence and I know he's anxious that he won't be able to hack more than a couple of hours so...…

I'm going to do my food shop a day early. The river's not far from the supermarket so I'll be nearby should he chicken out and want to come home. I don't really need much and at this rate I soon won't be able to shut the door on my Brexit cupboard!

The things I do. grin

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:37:05

M0nica, I believe the pneumonia jab is protection against bacterial, rather than viral pneumonia, so I'm not sure it helps much.

I'm topping up my vitamin C and zinc, trying to eat healthy food and get more exercise. (I can't give up my chocolate, though.) I'm just hoping my immune system will be at it's best if we have an epidemic.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:37:29

I wasn't trying to be blasé, Callistemon, I am one with comprised respiratory system and other complications. I cannot worry about every virus/bug out there.

I wash my hands frequently, never touch toilet doors on the way out (use a tissue), however I shall continue living my life to the best of my ability.

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 09:48:51

Me too, but anyone would think the plague is imminent, it's an outbreak of flu, not Armageddon, the media has a lot to answer for , thinking that 48 hours self-isolation is fine and other such dismissive statements are fine up to a point - but all I was saying was that the the WHO is concerned.

No, of course we don't have to go into isolation without reason but it's not flu, it's fine to make a joke but it is serious.

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:51:53

A chap just came to read the gas meter, wearing a mask and very fearful of the virus - especially about what's happening in China. I tried to reassure him with some facts, (I'm in my dressing gown because I'm lazy, not ill) but to no avail I think!

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 09:59:46

I don't think we should be fearful but not dismissive either.
We were passing through HK when the SARS virus was at its peak

May7 Wed 12-Feb-20 11:16:01

HETTY that made me laugh. I too am in my dressing gown because l am lazy. I might start a thread do you open door in dressing gown and then make excuses as to why you are not dressed grin

M0nica Wed 12-Feb-20 11:16:54

Rhanks Hetty I had a feeling that life was not that simple because no one qualified or unqualified has even mentioned it.

Alexa Sat 15-Feb-20 11:48:54

An outbreak of flu may well be the Horseman of Pestilence . The Horseman of Famine may rein in if plague decimates the world population. In each case , famine and plague, the losers will be the poor and the aged such as myself.