Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you ever have "one of those days?"

(37 Posts)
H1954 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:45:53

Just been to the supermarket with OH. We are both of the opinion now that we are invisible as both of us were run into by other peoples trolleys! Also, why is it that when two or more people who want to stand and have a natter HAVE to stand in everyone's way!? I must also have a very sensitive sense of smell today because I have encountered some real stinkers! That makes me want to direct them to the toiletry and laundry aisle!

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 19:11:17

I suppose if I'd spilt the milk and water over a carpet, gillyknits, it wouldn't have stained!

I hope the stain came out.

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 19:10:14

Today did get better. I avoided tackling a difficult project this morning but after lunch thought I would start. Success so far but I still have the rest to finish another day.

I mean - who would stare into a cup of milk and water and wonder why it didn't look like tea?
Only an eejit who hadn't put a teabag in the cup in the first place.

H1954 Thu 13-Feb-20 18:41:51

Oh, sorry GNetters, but I'm so relieved that it's not just me! Today has been a better day though! ?

Aepgirl Thu 13-Feb-20 16:51:48

What’s wrong with ‘excuse me please’, Bellanonna? - no need to nudge anybody.

gillyknits Thu 13-Feb-20 16:11:03

Not a good start today. The cat was sick (thankfully not on a carpet!) and then I managed to spill a whole cup of tea all over the new carpet !
Apart from that it seems to have settled into rather a calm day. ??????

SueDonim Thu 13-Feb-20 15:35:58

My dd had one of those days yesterday which culminated in an exploding banana. grin

EEJit Thu 13-Feb-20 15:23:04

Went to see a renal surgeon this morning regarding having a catheter fitted for dialysis.

Turns out I also have a small, previously undiscovered, hernia.

mokryna Thu 13-Feb-20 13:14:57

Yesterday I had to contact the tax office. Automatic answer phones, finally spoke to a person, who seemed to be in another country and who irritatingly said yea at the end off every sentence. Eg. You have got you number, yea. Drove me mad. Even worse, found out that the last ten years of not claiming my small pension, which if I had, would not have paid any tax on, now I have to pay on a certain sum 40 per cent. Not a happy day.

Buttonjugs Thu 13-Feb-20 13:04:56

I take my ASD son swimming three times a week for lane swimming. I get really annoyed when swimmers congregate in the corner to chat. There’s a cafe where they can do that! Also in the last ten minutes I have brought our lunch upstairs on a tray, forgot my son’s drink, banged the tray into a cupboard so that my coffee spilled over, tried to grab my tablet to read and dropped it. The charging bit stayed in but the attached cable had other ideas!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 13-Feb-20 12:41:21

Well, when people are in my way in the supermarket I say, "Excuse me, I would like to get to that shelf". It works and I would never nudge them with my trolley, as I dislike being nudged with trollies.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 13-Feb-20 12:27:40

Thank you Bradford - today is indeed a better day. The problems remain but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Surely the average Gransnetter isn't skanky, Jens ? I should hope not. I think standards have improved over the years for many of us.

Jens Thu 13-Feb-20 12:14:12

Your comments everyone remind me of a comment made, I was living in Johannesburg st the time, it was “Ah, yes, the great unwashed English”. I was mortified at the time, but must admit, how true it really is. Being skanky seems to be the norm.

Craftycat Thu 13-Feb-20 11:49:15

I'm always in a good mood when I do my big weekly shop. I have never noticed any smelly people either.
I don't usually talk to people ( unless I know them) but today got into a conversation with a nice woman in meat aisle when she asked me the date to check her meat was OK for a few days. It was a very pleasant interlude.
DH talks to everyone he meets. It drives me potty so I rarely shop with him. He comes home & tells me all about these conversations- I'm sure people hide to avoid him- I would! The poor cashier can't get away that easily!!

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 13-Feb-20 11:48:54

Welcome to my world.
I always try and supermarket shop as early in the day as possible, to avoid the crashing, bashing and smell of others.
Town shopping, finds me at their door at 9.00 am sharp. Not only do you have room to move, but the assistants are freely available/pleasant/plentiful and the only other shoppers are crowd haters like myself.
Takes a bit of effort, but we'll worth it for my sanity.

Tamayra Thu 13-Feb-20 11:45:20

I’ve had One of those days everyday for the last 7 weeks
Dodging bushfires in Australia
Actually it’s been one of those nights too Never knew when the text message would come on my mobile ‘Evacuate now threat of fire’ Happened 5 times Worst was 3am New Year’s Day
It’s been a hard gig.
But, raining now so fire threat has nearly passed & Ive unpacked all treasures from my car & to my surprise 20 pairs of undies that I grabbed
Must say something about me hey ?

Jani Thu 13-Feb-20 11:29:30

Yes definitely one of those days - except it’s been going on since October- the builders are here!! Today it’s been chucking it down and they are in and out - 3 builders - one plumber and a bedroom fitter - nearly lost the plot - that’s me not them - and this is a quiet day!! It’s like Piccadilly Circus ! Trying to go to the loo quietly is a nightmare - hey ho roll on a couple of months and hopefully no builders and I can have my life back !!! They are doing a great job though .

LuckyFour Thu 13-Feb-20 11:24:35

DH and I spent all day yesterday trying to connect our two laptops to a new printer. Still haven't done it. Shouting at each other this morning with frustration. So probably going to be another 'one of those days'.

Nanny41 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:23:24

I have one of those good days today, he sun is shining and gives warmth even at this time of year.I havent slept well at all in the night, but have excess energy today, which feels great.Even been for a walk which doesnt happen very often, but today is a lovely day.I hope all GN,s have a lovely day too.

Misha14 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:19:29

Many smelly people can't help it. I know it's horrible for the rest of us, but a little compassion, maybe.

Moggycuddler Thu 13-Feb-20 11:07:49

Smelly people are the worst. I went to the cinema with my DH a while back and had to sit through a 2 hour film next to a woman who REEKED of BO. Couldn' t move because the place was packed. I spent the whole time with a tissue crammed against my nose, leaning the other way against my husband. He knew why because he could smell her too. In fact, half the people in the place must have. It was horrible.

Bluebird64 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:01:31

Oh dear, what a lot of horrid things in one day! I'm in a customer-facing job (which I'll be leaving soon due to bullying) and on a bad day I can have customers who smell of: garlic (too tight to spend a bit more on the odourless pills), booze (yuck), body odour, stale wee (the worst of all), cannabis, stale cigarette smoke, and - so sad - vomit if they're bulimic. But skanky teeth are the absolute pits - I have a phobia about them!!

jaylucy Thu 13-Feb-20 10:56:54

Smelly people in supermarkets - I have a friend that, if she passes by a smelly customer will quite happily "donate" a can of deodorant or air freshener into the culprits trolley or basket when they are not looking!
Seeing their surprise when it goes through the till is priceless (especially if it is done in Aldi or Lidls as the shoot stuff through the scanner faster than you can keep up with!)

polnan Thu 13-Feb-20 10:46:30

oh off days,, and good days, I welcome the good days.
if anyone in the way, when I am supermarket shopping, I tend to say "excuse me" but then on a bad day.... well I can be a little rude.... not nice.. spread the love.

Fiachna50 Thu 13-Feb-20 10:40:29

I had one of those days yesterday, involving bus journeys. Thankfully, Ive nowhere to go to today, though I did wake poor husband up at 6am as had really bad cramp im my leg. I probably had the whole street up with my yelling!

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 10:37:43

This morning hasn't started well, hence I'm on here and not trying to do anything practical!

Although I did get told off on here on another thread! grin