Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are these orange stains that have appeared on my hands overnight?

(390 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 11:00:12

This happened first about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was because I had handled a Satsuma. It wouldn't wash off but disappeared over 24 hours. Then I woke up this morning to find dark iodine coloured stains down my index finger and light orange blotches on both palms and on the back of my thumb. I have googled this and nobody seems to know what it is so I am wondering if anyone on gn has come across this?

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 21:22:17

Without a picture I have a thought that might narrow it down. If the orange colour is not in the lines on your palms and finger, it's probably something you touched. If it is in the lines it is probably a body response to something. Something you touch might not appear straight away, it might react to the air and oxidise later, if its a body response you could show it to a pharmacist if you don't want to wait for a doctors appointment x

Yehbutnobut Fri 14-Feb-20 09:25:21

Have you been handling silver nitrate?

KAG1970 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:07:48

Did you ever figure out what caused the “rust stains”? I have a telemed appt today with my primary care dr because the same has happened to me. This is the third time in 3 weeks that I woke with these “rust stains” on the palm of my hands. I will keep you updated.

Roses Thu 30-Apr-20 16:17:42

The lesser spotted lurgy?

Roses Thu 30-Apr-20 16:18:22

Sorry not helpful I know

anezka Thu 07-May-20 07:47:18

Okey, so I woke up with exactly the same stains on my hands this morning. Do you already know what it is? Thanks

vampirequeen Thu 07-May-20 21:20:46

Have you been playing with the orange toddler?

geekesse Thu 07-May-20 21:46:44

Are you taking vitamin supplements? Orange blotches or staining on palms can be a side-effect of overdosing on vitamin A.

justalady Sun 24-May-20 15:27:14

Hey, I have had the same thing for approximately three months. Appears randomly and resolves quickly. No changes in meds, lotions, cleaning products, etc....all which I am sure you have thought of.
Well, this morning, my husband woke up with it! Very strange! I am in the medical field and know whatever it is, not lethal and with all the bigger issues right now I will not seek an appointment for it.
Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Totallylost Sun 24-May-20 15:34:59

Check out a condition called carotenoids, sounds very much like it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis

Totallylost Sun 24-May-20 15:35:40

Sorry , predictive text, should read Carotenosis

CarenL Sat 04-Jul-20 02:28:55

Hi. I'm located in Australia and I've been getting this for around a year now. It seems to appear randomly, and then disappear within about a day. It can appear in various places on both my hands, but generally at the base of my palm and on my thumbs. There is no pain or swelling. Neither my normal doctor or a dermatologist, both of whom are very experienced, have seen anything like it before. Has anyone been able to find out more information or get a diagnosis? smile

BlueBelle Sat 04-Jul-20 05:25:34

I m intrigue by this, are you all Donald Trump fans ?

it’s strange though, surely it must be something in food or supplements Although that explanation Totallylost has found sounds about right, weird that doctors have never come across it though

FionaBousada Mon 03-Aug-20 17:03:44

Hi! I’m from Canada and I have this too! I didn’t touch anything weird last night and randomly woke up with it this morning... at first I thought it was tanner so I tried a lemon, then baking soda but nothing. I’ll attach photos but I have no idea what happening.

crazyH Mon 03-Aug-20 17:11:26

Turmeric? Food colouring?

welbeck Mon 03-Aug-20 17:43:16

a neighbour had this a couple of years ago.
we assumed she'd been leaning on the edge of an old table and the varnish had come off.
but circumstances proved not. sometimes hadn't been at the table at all.
she was t hosp appt once and shewed it to docs, but they just shrugged.
never did get to the bottom of it. she had many chronic conditions, mostly rheumatology, and then other pressing medical issues, so this phenomenon was forgotten about.
we wondered if it was a reaction to some medication, but her primary consultant, rheuma, had no idea.
let's see if we can find any common details; mostly women, over 60s,; what about medical conditions/ drugs.
has anyone shewn it to a pharmacist.

varian Mon 03-Aug-20 18:09:01

I know that Donald Trump is said to be quite promiscuous but surely you can't all have been sleeping with him?

CJsMom Tue 04-Aug-20 18:53:42

Did anyone get an answer on what this is? I've had this issue a few times now over the last year. Not food related or touching. Went to bed hands were fine and woke up to dark orange stains, this time on a lot of my nails, underneath the nail and ridges and both thumbs covered orange and each finger. Always on the underside only except the nails today, this is new. Anyone?

crazyH Tue 04-Aug-20 18:58:24

Varian??

Blinko Tue 04-Aug-20 19:01:08

It does look like tanning lotion... are you all into fake tans? No, I guess not...

girlie1 Sat 05-Sep-20 01:15:09

25Avalon, me, same thing. One day noticed that my left hand from the index finger and continuing to the palm had a funny orange color. My right hand had a small streak of orange as well. So, the first thing I did was a search on Google. None of the medical findings fit my health. At this point, I'm at day six and the left hand is almost entirely faded. My right hand with no changes, still orange. Wondering if you were able to find out what caused this for you?

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 03:43:50

www.healthline.com/health/yellow-feet#calluses

I know it says feet, but it mentions hands, too.

als1569 Sat 07-Nov-20 02:46:50

This happens to me too! Just happened last night. It doesn’t wash off and slowly goes away after a few days. It is the strangest thing.

Chosen2 Wed 09-Dec-20 23:22:07

Ok this is really strange. I woke up today with the same thing. 3 Finger tips on left hand orange, a couple stripes in my right palm. Does anyone have any idea? No I didn’t sleep with Trump, No I don’t use tan lotion or iodine. I have not consumed large amount of Carotenemia. I’m curious to now what is going on. We all must have a common denominator.

Blossoming Thu 10-Dec-20 00:32:32

I very much doubt if it would be tinea nigra in the UK. It’s a disease of the tropics and it’s rare there.