Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are these orange stains that have appeared on my hands overnight?

(391 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 11:00:12

This happened first about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was because I had handled a Satsuma. It wouldn't wash off but disappeared over 24 hours. Then I woke up this morning to find dark iodine coloured stains down my index finger and light orange blotches on both palms and on the back of my thumb. I have googled this and nobody seems to know what it is so I am wondering if anyone on gn has come across this?

OrangeHandClub Tue 15-Mar-22 16:24:46

So.. here I am. Woke up this morning with my hands basically looking like everyone else's here and was completely perplexed. After Googling and finding nothing other than post, I felt had to join to at least document another person added to this weird phenomena. As far as food goes, I didn't have any fruits or vegetables yesterday. I did eat cheddar and colby jack cheese and genoa salami and pepperoni with crackers. Now, with my personal experience- last night I experienced some of the worst (im assuming) food poisoning I've ever had. Painful vomiting and chills/sweats. I woke up about 3am cause I was feeling sick again and noticed my hands, still not feeling well it didn't really sink in, went back to sleep. Woke up for the morning and was shocked. Trying to figure out what I touched or what could have happened. At a complete loss. I tried scrubbing it off and it only seemed to lighten it temporarily and is gradually getting darker again. Ill attach some photos. They were taken right after washing them. Definitely more prevalent in person.

thinkthunder Mon 28-Mar-22 04:58:32

Like many of you, I woke up this morning with rust-like stains on my right hand. They are neither painful nor itchy. After scouring the internet and attempting to describe this bizzare occurance to Google, I stumbled across this site and made an account. I am pretty healthy - I run 3-4 times a week and eat a very balanced diet though it rarely includes carrots and peppers, and certainly not to the extent that could be considered as an excess. I am 22 years old and living in New York. I do not self tan, nor do I take elderberry supplements. I do use a facewash that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide on a daily basis which, after parcing through these comments, is something I understand to be possibly related? I texted my dermatologist pictures and will update on what she thinks.

thinkthunder Mon 28-Mar-22 05:01:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ali08 Mon 28-Mar-22 09:11:29

Maybe you should all compare any medicines you are on, see if anything in common arises!
I can't recall who asked, but the question about sleeping alone had me in fits of giggles. Maybe you're being visited by orange Oompa-Loompa's during the night, as it seems to occur while you're all in bed!
Is the bedding affected by these stains at all, or just your hands? No orange feet or stomachs, backs or arms?

Ali08 Mon 28-Mar-22 09:26:10

I looked on Google.

CarrotPaws Wed 30-Mar-22 01:28:34

Ate red peppers last night. Food seems to be the common denominator, but why. Hmmm

SillyWendy Thu 31-Mar-22 22:50:40

I woke up and had the spot in one hand and now the the next it’s on the other hand and I’m panicking came across this thread and seems like I had to make a profile and create this silly post but on a serious note what is it and I guess no one here went to the doctor right away and found out smh what if it’s dangerous or contagious and we’re just here writing on this lmao that’s silly for sure anyways I’m scared and asking people the real question should I go to the doctor or it’s gonna go away ** I’m shhcareddd ???

porkchopexpress Wed 06-Apr-22 19:24:42

25Avalon

This happened first about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was because I had handled a Satsuma. It wouldn't wash off but disappeared over 24 hours. Then I woke up this morning to find dark iodine coloured stains down my index finger and light orange blotches on both palms and on the back of my thumb. I have googled this and nobody seems to know what it is so I am wondering if anyone on gn has come across this?

So glad I found this thread. I just woke up with two stains on my right hand. I'm unvaccinated but I have had Covid, so could that be related? The only thing I can think of is I went on a bike ride and my bike touched some plants on the part of the frame where I pick my bike up with my palm (where the stain is). The stain on my index finger though is a mystery unless it brushed that part of the bike frame.

porkchopexpress Wed 06-Apr-22 19:26:42

Another poster brought up baby wipes. My skin is sensitive to baby wipes and I did use one a few days ago to clean a toilet seat, so who knows if it's a combination of things.

I do take supplements including multi-vitamin, Vitamin B Complex, and I just started new mushroom supplements.

Makenzie Sun 10-Apr-22 07:33:01

35/F/MO I registered to this website to share and add my recent experience. I too woke up 3 days ago with rusty orange hands. Mine are mostly on tops of my hands also on my palms, wrists, finger tips, nail beds, and making its way up my arms. Right hand has it worst. I had spotting on my lower back right above my butt crack area, and a weird strip on my leg. It does not come off unless you scrub extremely hard but doesn't come all the way off. Mine looks yellow sometimes when it comes off but mostly rusty orange. I have not had the covid vaccine. I have used baby wipes my entire life! Parents choice brand. I just got my blood drawn today to test for hypothyroidism. I do not consume a lot of orange veggies or fruits. Rarely eat spinich unless I eat Subway. I mostly eat beef, jalapenos, cheese, flour tortillas, bread, garlic powder, drink soda. I do have an issue with stink bugs getting in my house. The kind that smell like cilantro. I have been stressed/depressed/anxiety for the past 5 years but this year has been the worst. My PCP said she doesn't believe it has to do with my liver because my eyes aren't yellow. This is crazy! I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Makenzie Sun 10-Apr-22 18:36:23

After reading that it could possibly be baby wipes, I tried an experiment and wiped my stomach before bed. Little and behold this morning I woke up and my stomach has the rustic orange stain exactly where I wiped!!!! Walmart's Parent's Choice fresh scent baby wipes are causing my rustic orange stains!!! I'm livid! These are made for babies!! I've been so embarassed with these stains and worried to death about it!! I hope this helps someone else!! And a huge huge thank you to who ever mentioned that baby wipes could be the reason!!!!

Makenzie Sun 10-Apr-22 18:41:06

Thank you so so so so much!! After reading your post, I tried an experiment by wiping my stomach with the Parent's Choice fresh scent baby wipes that my son and I use, woke up today with the rustic orange stain on my stomach exactly where I wiped it!!! I have been so embarassed and worried about this and now I know where its coming from! I can't wait to call the number on the box tomorrow when they are open! I'm livid! Thanks again!!!!!

Bmcentire3 Thu 14-Apr-22 08:30:54

Same! Have had rust colored spot on top of left index finger for few months now. It comes and goes. Appears to be a stain, but like everyone else I haven't touched anything. I dont take medications or vitamins. Not many carrots in my diet. No health problems really. Don't use baby wipes often. Did have covid, not vaccinated. Back when covid first was an issue I read somewhere about a condition they called "covid toe". If I remember correctly it was red or purplish discoloration on the feet of ppl who had covid. I'm curious, has everyone who has this had covid?
I'm a nurse, none of the Dr I work with know what it is but I kinda like the Trump theory!! Lol
32/w/female/texas

Esspee Thu 14-Apr-22 08:44:01

This condition has been around for a very long time, well before Covid.

Daddy Thu 14-Apr-22 15:21:38

Joined, like many others, just to document here.
We ate hello fresh and I use parent choice wipes. Since I know those items are mentioned here.
We have used dinnerly and every plate, but hello fresh accidentally delivered a box to us meant for someone else and told us to keep it. So, we ate it, but not last night.

Right before I bed I noticed my hands seemed stained. I was confused as the staining was also around my body where my hands were resting while watching a movie with the wife and kids.

Cleaned everything up, Hands looked normal with light staining. Went to bed, woke up, and my hands are dirtier.

It comes off with a wipe (parents choice) and looks like orange dirt.

Daddy Sun 17-Apr-22 08:23:17

I FIGURED OUT WHAT CAUSED IT FOR ME!

It was the Parent's Choice wipes. I am attaching photos to show it. If you let the wipes expose to air then they brown. You can see in the picture. I cleaned one hand with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and did not use Parent's Choice again. The hand stayed perfectly clean. The other hand remained as dirty as it had been but gradually became cleaner as I used other wipes. The baking soda mixture, though, is what took it off the best.

I assume there is some oxidization of something in the wipes. The oxygen exposure causing the discoloration. This is why as you continued to use wipes during the day you were replacing old residue with new residue so it would only have time to partially discolor, but overnight you would leave on the same wipe residue and it would get darker. Waking up with darker hands.

GinGin33 Tue 26-Apr-22 19:42:58

I'm so relieved to find out I'm not the only one!! . I have now woken up 3 times with my fingers looking like they have been dipped in iodine. Can't figure it out. Has anyone figured out why??

klaud91 Tue 03-May-22 07:57:56

I am so thankful I found this page. I have been stressed for days thinking of what these stains could be. These iodine-colored stains appeared last week on my thighs, inner thighs, and butt crack area. At first I thought they were from a new pair of pants that I had worn but after a few days they appeared again. Then I noticed these stains on both of my kids butt area, and I have been suspicious about the baby wipes. We use the parents choice wipes but now we will stop using them. I feel so relieved now knowing that's what's causing the problem.

klaud91 Tue 03-May-22 07:59:21

I think all of us who use these wipes should call the number on the box/bag and report it. I will be calling them tomorrow morning. I hope anyone else who has this problem finds this page and gets some relief.

klaud91 Tue 03-May-22 09:02:31

Just found out there has been a recall for heavy metals contamination on the Parents Choice wipes. Mercury and arsenic. Google parents choice wipes recall.

GinGin33 Tue 03-May-22 14:23:01

I don’t use these wipes but maybe I’m in contact with the same thing/ingredients that’s in them? I also make Kombucha and have wondered if handling the scoby when I bottle it causes the stains. Doesn’t really make sense as I’ve only had it happen a few times. Still feeling confused by it.

Shel69 Sat 07-May-22 00:28:49

Help, I'm breaking out in hives, for about four days they keep coming up, really itchy, tried antihistamine cream and also tablet, now have a wet flannel next to me in bed so I don't scratch them just bathe them,
Any good remedies? Driving me mad

25Avalon Sat 07-May-22 12:49:13

I woke up with orangey stains on my hands again this morning after going nearly 2 years rust free! I noticed it first on my left hand and then quite dark on my right palm - photo attached.

It is not wipes. Apart from the fact I do not use them, this colouration is not from external causes and cannot be removed by any amount of scrubbing.

Sometime back on this thread we worked out it was probably from carotenoids in certain foods and/or stress. I did have red peppers in pasta last night and have experienced stress I have not had Covid so that can be ruled out. I can only think it is the combination of stress and carotenoids, whereby stress has affected my ability to break down the beta carotene in the food I consumed in the previous 24 hours lettuce, asparagus, peppers and tomatoes.

I thought I would post to keep this thread up to date. It is weird. Fellow gransnetters I am a regular contributor and this is no spoof.

GinGin33 Sat 07-May-22 16:05:13

I thought my staining on my fingers could have been from handling the scoby when bottling my kombucha but I just bottled a batch and my hands are fine. I don’t use the baby wipes so that’s not it with me either. I have not had covid and am not vaccinated. To me it seems more like a reaction to contacting something, but who knows. Just wanted to update my situation which has now happened 3 times in total, all in the past year ish.

dfowensby Mon 23-May-22 18:56:55

note the lot numbers on the packets. this might help:
www.miamiherald.com/news/recalls/article261064982.html