Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which automatic car?

(19 Posts)
Antonia Mon 17-Feb-20 16:58:49

Dh and I have decided to buy an automatic car. Backstory, we have lived in France for over 17 years, and driven French cars. Now back in the UK and up until now have been put off driving because of the more crowded roads and lack of recent uk driving experience. Now I intend to take some refresher driving lessons and buy a small automatic car. (We both have current driving licences, only mine is a paper one and dh's is a French one, so we will need to get those sorted). The question is, do any of you drive a small automatic car and if so, which would you recommend? Thank you for any replies, all will be appreciated.

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Feb-20 17:57:27

Currently I’m on a manual but I had a friend who would only drive automatics.
Honda have a wide range and tend to have auto as an option on small models as they are a brand aimed at the more mature driver!

Shrub Mon 17-Feb-20 18:26:03

I have an automatic Audi A1 and I love it. Small and nippy.

Antonia Mon 17-Feb-20 18:30:09

Thank you both, I will look at Honda and the Audi.

vegansrock Mon 17-Feb-20 18:32:45

I love my automatic Fiat 500.

Davidhs Mon 17-Feb-20 18:34:30

I would choose one of the VW or Audi models with a DSG gearbox, petrol engine. Or if you do mostly short journeys a small electric, a little more to buy, much cheaper to run.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Feb-20 18:51:45

My friend now has an automatic Yaris and loves it.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 17-Feb-20 19:02:40

I’m pondering the same question and am currently dithering over a Yaris, Fiesta or Corsa - I change my mind weekly which I prefer! The Corsa has heated front seats (!), the Fiesta has quick clear front windscreen and the Yaris has good safety features and I just like it as I’ve had a manual one before and the people at the Toyota garage were lovely and made you feel looked after. Can’t decide over a petrol or hybrid though. Dither dither dither, that’s me. [sigh]

phoenix Mon 17-Feb-20 19:08:54

Accidentally ended up with an automatic some years ago, now totally converted!

Currently have a Smart Roadster, totally impractical, and it will have to go!

Can't afford anything new, or even nearly new, also have a weakness for convertibles blush so who knows what I might end up with when we can afford to change?

Antonia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:29:38

Hmm, lots of food for thought here! Thank you all.

Cold Mon 17-Feb-20 19:40:56

I have an automatic Nissan Qashqai as I have a disability that affects my left leg. I love it! I got one that had some extras that make it easier including electric seats that move backwards and forwards at the press of a button and also parking cameras.

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 21:07:31

DD has to drive an automatic after an accident damaged her right arm. She bought a Hyundai Matrix, not sure if they still make them, but she has had it 10 years, and did not buy it new, and uses is it daily to travel to and from work and it has never let her down.

Jessity Mon 17-Feb-20 21:19:36

I have a Peugeot 3008 which I love, not least because it has as standard a whole load of things which are “extras” on similar cars from other manufacturers.

That model may be larger than you need but I think they do similar but smaller models. I love the higher driving position of an SUV.

LadyGracie Mon 17-Feb-20 22:18:41

Hyundai ix20, lovely to drive, comfortable and economical.

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Feb-20 23:43:51

I love our new( to us) Toyota Corolla hybrid which is also automatic

NotAGran55 Mon 17-Feb-20 23:54:31

John Cooper Works Mini . The most fun you will ever have behind a wheel.

Hithere Tue 18-Feb-20 00:34:12

Love Toyota. So reliable!

crazyH Tue 18-Feb-20 00:41:59

I drive a Kia Automatic now, but before that I had a Honda Jazz Auto (for 15 years ) - not a day's problem with either of them. The Older grandchildren are now tall etc and the Honda would have been a bit small.....hence changed to Kia.

V3ra Tue 18-Feb-20 01:06:23

Not small, as I need a people carrier, but I have just had a Hyundai i800 automatic. My husband bought it while I was on holiday and said it would suit his dodgy knee (my car though...).
Only had it two days and it's so easy to drive, it's like the car's doing all the hard work for me. It has a reversing camera as well which is amazing!