Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Countertop dishwashers

(12 Posts)
Rebecca3 Wed 19-Feb-20 11:32:42

hello. This is the first time I have posted a question, but have read lots; always impressed by the good advice from grans!
I have just moved house, to a rented bungalow. I really want a countertop dishwasher: can handle everything in kitchen except washing up. Loathe it. And my hands suffer: can't always find gloves. I've been researching, and reading up about them. They look and sound good. But the problem seems to be with the installation. You can buy a faucet with the dishwasher that should be able to screw onto your tap. But the Amazon dishwashers are all from America, and seem to have different words/measurements. Does anyone out there have a countertop dishwasher? and if so, what sort should I get? What should I avoid? I assume I will have to get landlord's permission. Just read a review which says you can put the dishwasher outside! That seems a bit OTT. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.

JuliaM Wed 19-Feb-20 11:52:26

Hi Rebecca3, the only countertop dishwashers l have ever seen in the uk have been for commercial use, and not fully automatic, but they do need plumbing in to a mains water supply and use large baskets to stack the dirty dishes into before lifting and sliding them into the machine. I would be very wary of buying anything designed for the American market and importing it for UK usage, its highly lightly as you say, to have different types of connectors, water and pressure requirements and maybe even power voltage than we have in the uk.
The way to go would probably be to buy a slimline UK diswasher and stand it somewhere near to your sink in the kitchen, or even in your utility room or bathroom maybe? Most modern UK dishwashers are cold waterfeed only, but do need a fairly high pressure mains water connection to work well. Itispossible however to just hook the drainage pipe over a sink unit and the machine will pump its dirty water away down the sink. We have just had a new Bosch eco diswasher fitted and are very pleased with it.

harrigran Wed 19-Feb-20 11:58:51

DD had a counter top dishwasher for twenty years and worked very well, there was just the two of them and it coped easily with a day's dishes. The only downside I could see was that it took up worktop space which could be better used for food prep.

Artdecogran Wed 19-Feb-20 12:38:41

If you search online there are loads of them available. AO do some and I can highly recommend the company. Just bought appliances from them and they were really good.

M0nica Thu 20-Feb-20 08:59:03

Do not buy electrical appliances made for the US market. Their electrical systems are entirely different to ours and their electrical standards are different as well. Any appliance made for the US market would dangerous to use in Britain.

All dishwashers, whether they are counter top or floor standing need to be plumbed in like a washing machine. Itis not possibleto run one by using a removeable hose attached to the tap.

Odinary domestic dishwashers are not weather resistant and can only be used indoors. No competent plumber/electrician would install on eoutside.

I have had both counter top and floor standing dishwashers and they are equally good, but all have been plumbed in.

You will need to talk to your landlord to get consent to put in plumbing for a dishwasher. It will need a 3 pin 13 amp plug socket, cold water feed and drainage connection.

Rebecca3 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:32:56

Thank you all for your input. I have realised I was barking up wrong tree. American or Canadian- designed dishwashers definitely would cause problems.
I googled "Countertop dishwashers in UK" (duh, as they say!) and have come up with one that is way above all the others in recommendations. (it's a 'Klarstein Amazonia A+ Mini Dishwasher, 6 Modes (Mini, Black, Buttons, 6 Modes, 49Db, A) [Energy Class A+]') for anyone who is interested. They say no real installation problems. We'll have to see. But I really am keen to pursue this. Apart from washing machine , it seems to me that it's the one appliance we'd be crazy not to move heaven and earth to get! had family here yesterday. Both husband and I spent hours in kitchen afterwards. Thanks anyway. I'll post progress if anyone interested...

humptydumpty Fri 21-Feb-20 11:43:08

Hi Rebecca, I hope you'll give an update on this, as I've been considering this for ages! My main problem is lack of space though and I'm not sure if I can get around that..

lorenzo191 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:27:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

autumnsun Sat 23-Jan-21 16:09:04

Yes please let us know am interested ?

Georgesgran Sat 23-Jan-21 17:13:24

I’m the same as Harrigran - our first dishwasher 45 years ago was a counter top model with a curved top. It was fine for the two of us, but took up quite a lot of worktop. When we had a new kitchen installed, we sold it to a couple who insisted we put it on and waited while it went through a full cycle!

Kate1949 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:12:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kate1949 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:14:21

So sorry. This was meant for the dentists thread. blush Apologies for bringing angst to a nice thread!