Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandma , Nana what other name options ?

(72 Posts)
Lizzle10 Thu 20-Feb-20 08:29:45

Had an amazing weekend visiting my first grandson who’s just a few days old , my DS and DIL have asked what I’d like to be called . I wanted to be nanny but DIL mum is going to be that so they don’t want two nannys . I don’t fancy grandma I thought maybe nana , I’m sure he will cal me all sorts but I guess I need a ‘title’ . Any suggestions for something a little different plz

Widnesbabcia Thu 20-Feb-20 15:50:40

My father was Polish
So grandchildren call me babcia
Polish for grandmother, many congratulations by the way

Shreddie Thu 20-Feb-20 15:40:55

In Swahili the names for grandmother and grandfather are Bibi and Babu which are so easy for a young child to say and are really cute names.

chocolatepudding Thu 20-Feb-20 15:33:51

My Mum was German and Dad was English so they used the German names Omi and Opa. MIL didn't want anything like Granny or Nana but was called by her first name by the GC and Mum by DSs and DILs.

LadyGracie Thu 20-Feb-20 15:28:24

We’re Nanny and Nandad.

AGAA4 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:27:34

My grandson aged 4 once told me that "Nanas are good and grannies are horrible!" Thank goodness I am a Nana. Don't know what his poor granny had done to deserve that

sodapop Thu 20-Feb-20 15:25:58

I'm Nanny as well. One step grandchild calls me Nanny 2 and the others Nanny with my forename. Adult step children just call me by my forename. Works for us and no problems with other parents /Grandparents.

rafichagran Thu 20-Feb-20 15:23:24

I am Gran. I really love it.

rosenoir Thu 20-Feb-20 15:16:31

I am grandma, when my grandson was born there were 5 grandmothers, his fathers mother,grandmother and her mother and myself and my mother. Only 2 step grandfathers though.

Scentia Thu 20-Feb-20 15:05:05

I am Nanna, Paternal Mum is Grandma, My 9 month old has just started to say Nanna (in his own way) I am fourth word after Dadda and Mamma and Ta! Everyone else thinks I am mad but they are clear words!!!!

Yiayia4 Thu 20-Feb-20 14:55:08

I'm YiaYia - Greek for Grandma,my grandsons found it very easy to say at an early age,my DH was not happy being called Pappous and is plain old Grandad.

SalsaQueen Thu 20-Feb-20 13:16:44

I'm Mammar (not sure about the spelling), which is a well-known title where I live (Nottingham).

nanaK54 Thu 20-Feb-20 12:48:08

As my username suggests I am nana
But love the idea of Anniebachs granddaughter calling her 'bro' smile

Sarahmob Thu 20-Feb-20 12:00:56

I’m Grammy to my DGS, I love that it’s a bit different (I’ve only met a couple of other ladies who use that title) I think it’s warm and friendly and sounds a bit younger than some other options.

TwiceAsNice Thu 20-Feb-20 11:52:23

I am Granny . When she was alive other grandmother was also Granny. She was Granny (first name)I was Granny Wales which is where I lived when grandchildren were born. Now I live close to them I am just Granny but when they were very small they couldn’t say Granny and called me Raggy which I loved

storynanny Thu 20-Feb-20 11:49:54

My mum was called grandma and she was very unmotherly and ungrandmotherthly so I definitely didn’t want to be called grandma! Didn’t really like nanny until I realised that over my long infant teaching career, that “ nanny” seemed to be a firm favourite with so many children, also my favourite grandparent was called nana.
So I requested nanny for my grandchildren. And I’m called by my name by my little step grandchildren, who I think assume it’s just another variation of “ an older someone in my family who loves me”. Never really understood how it becomes a bone of contention in some families.

Grandma70s Thu 20-Feb-20 11:31:45

I’m Grandma. My DIL’s mother and I discussed which one of us would be Granny and which should be Grandma. Neither of us really minded, but when pressed I opted for Grandma because I had preferred my own Grandma to my Granny!

I dislike the nanny/nana terms, because to me they indicate a nursemaid, not a grandmother. My DIL’s mother must have felt the same, because they were never mentioned as possibilities.

tanith Thu 20-Feb-20 11:13:42

I’ve been Nanny for many years but now my grownup GC call me Grandma, my live abroad GC call me Granny London, and my GrtGC call me Gaga. I’ll actually answer to any of the above I don’t care what they call me as long as they call ?

jusnoneed Thu 20-Feb-20 11:11:01

I was Nan to my grandkids (haven't seen them for years) but my friends grandson calls her Nonna. No idea why as there is no Italian connection but I always think it sounds lovely.

Gransey Thu 20-Feb-20 10:32:21

See my name above? My lovely DIL found it on Mumsnet as she was going into labour. Just a little different. I love being Gransey to my 3 beautiful GC.

Purpledaffodil Thu 20-Feb-20 10:30:07

I fancied being grandma but was overruled as DD was very close to her Nana and Grandad, my parents. So I am Nana which I like now, my grandmother was also Nana. Gives a sense of continuity. My Grandfather was Pop, but that was pretty unique to him and hasn't been passed down.

Curlywhirly Thu 20-Feb-20 10:16:00

I'm Nonna, as I am half Italian - I love it, I am very proud to be part Italian. It is also very easy to say, and for both grandchildren was one of the first words they mastered!

MiniMoon Thu 20-Feb-20 09:55:24

I'm Granny to my four grandchildren. One of the boys has speech difficulties and is attending speech therapy, he calls me Dandy as he can't pronounce the gr sound. I like it, it makes me different from other Grannies. I'll be a little bit sad when he learns how to say Granny properly.

timetogo2016 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:42:46

I am Grandma to my biological grandchildren and nanny to my stepchildren.

May7 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:38:13

My great grandmother was called Mam by all generations. I was 14 before I realised this meant mother and it wasnt her first name.
My grandmothers were both nanny and then became nan as we got older. I'm nanny now and I bless the day it happened.
Heard singing I love my nanny the most precious words to me

Lovetopaint037 Thu 20-Feb-20 09:28:06

I’m nan as that is what we called our grandmothers and the custom continued.