Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is the naming of colours subjective?

(81 Posts)
Mamma66 Fri 21-Feb-20 07:01:29

I had an email from a well known store promoting ‘teal’ cushions. To me teal is turquoise with a hint of black; same colour range but without the zingy brightness of turquoise.

The cushion was green.

I always thought that colours were standard, but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

M0nica Mon 24-Feb-20 20:30:51

Where I see turquoise, DH sees green and DD sees blue.

As far as commercial naming of colours there are the Pantone colours. This is a standardized color reproduction system. By standardizing the colors, different manufacturers in different locations can all refer to the Pantone system to make sure colors match without direct contact with one another.

Most paint manufacturers etc, will match their paint to a Pantone colour number, but what they choose to call that colour is entirely up to them.

This is a really interesting article about the Pantone system and how it is used by manufacturers in the goods we buy. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:49:40

Are those the new colour names Summer ?

Summerlove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:57

Matrix

Not natives

Bizarre

Summerlove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:40

Colours on different phones/computers look different too, because of the way the colour natives are set up

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:41:44

Are fashion colours labelled differently now I wonder?
Are they still called emerald green/jade/royal blue/ airforce blue/French navy/tan/cerise/mustard/olive/mauve/ lilac/maroon/claret /scarlet etc etc.
If not, what are the modern fashion colours called?

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:34:35

Teal is a blue green to me, but we all see colour slightly differently.

Callistemon Sun 23-Feb-20 20:14:10

That sounds interesting Greeneyedgirl.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 23-Feb-20 10:14:52

I do get a bit carried away sometimes Callistemon, I've been doing a neuroscience course and am particularly fascinated by visual and auditory illusions.

Didn't mean to come across as a clever clogs. You know what they say, a little knowledge.......

Callistemon Sun 23-Feb-20 10:04:50

It's ok, sorry Greeneyedgirl, I thought about what I posted afterwards and thought, well, that was a bit daft, Callistemon!

It is subjective but yes, I agreed with my friend that the correct term for that particular colour was magenta.
I checked on a colour chart when I got home too.
Of course, she could have been seeing purple and I could have been seeing blue for all we knew, although neither of us has been diagnosed with colour blindness.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 23-Feb-20 09:59:51

You are right Callistemon I definitely wasn't there so shouldn't have offered my two penny's worth. sad

I was just saying that perceptions and descriptions of colours do vary.

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 19:50:49

My friend was correct, Greeneyedgirl

As you weren't there, why question what I said?

rubysong Sat 22-Feb-20 18:49:47

DH has a grey jacket (definitely grey) which he swears is green. We have had many arguments discussions about this. Maybe it is a scientific fact that we just see things differently.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 22-Feb-20 18:34:02

What is 'correct' Callistemon?

According to an article about Panetone, which is a global authority on colour The colours you perceive depend on everything from the surface they're on, the lighting and time of day. On top of that your own colour acuity, inc. colour blindness, can factor into perception too, so while sky may be blue (except when it's not) it's precise shade can be quite objective

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 16:42:33

A friend and I had a discussion today about something we saw which I described as fuchsia pink but she said was magenta.
I've just checked and she was correct.

rosecarmel Sat 22-Feb-20 15:29:22

There's a cobalt teal, too ..

pollyperkins Sat 22-Feb-20 14:49:39

DH has a shirt he calls green which I see as grey

grandMattie Sat 22-Feb-20 14:21:57

Maroon is colour I loathe - however, when I was child, it was called "grenat" in French or garnet...

Greeneyedgirl Sat 22-Feb-20 10:52:36

It's quite common for men to see blue/green differently to women. It's a fascinating subject I agree, and another thought, sorry off piste, if we don't all see colours similarly do we all actually perceive objects in the same way?

Yes Purpledaffodil (apt name for this thread grin I remember that optical illusion, and if you google there are a few more. The brain works in mysterious ways!

grannyticktock Sat 22-Feb-20 10:37:53

I read that as "a bright turquoise ear", which would indeed be a distinctive attribute.

Alexa, I think you have a point about the paintbox colour names. Many of us learned to name and categorise the colours according to what was in our paintbox, our set of coloured pencils, etc at an early age. It's quite possible that most of us see the non-primary colours (purple, teal, lime, rust etc) in the same ways, but we categorise them differently, by matching them in our heads to the set of colours we first learned names for.

I knew a guy who was red/green colour- blind, and saw both of these in a brownish way. He had once caused some mirth in his family by saying that something was "green, like a rabbit", so "rabbit-green" had been added to the family vocabulary.

GrannySomerset Sat 22-Feb-20 10:24:45

DH wrote a whole Master’s thesis on Chaucer’s colour vocabulary do this thread could run and run.

I can carry colour very accurately in my head, one of my few useful skills.

I have a bright turquoise car which is definitely not teal.

Annaram1 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:24:05

My dad could not see purple. He always called it blue.

Alexa Sat 22-Feb-20 10:02:22

I still base my own colour naming system on my old watercolour paintbox. Thus vermilion for orangey red, crimson for more bluey red, cobalt blue for pure tint of blue, and aquamarine for more greeny blue.

'Teal' is a comparatively new name for a colour I agree with original poster it's turquoise with a hint of black, i,e, it's a dark tone of turquoise.
Many people have seen turquoises or faux turquoises but very few people can identify a teal duck. Therefore 'teal' was never a good name for a colour. 'Blackish turquoise' would be good however the advertisers are not interested in accuracy but in image.

Lemon yellow is a good name for a colour as most people can identify a lemon whereas 'canary 'yellow is not so good as not many people are familiar with canaries.

BradfordLass73 Sat 22-Feb-20 05:09:40

If you Google any colour - teal, taupe, beige etc., then hit the Images button, you will always come up with a whole swag of shades relating to just that one name.

I don't think colours have ever been standardised.

grannyrebel7 Fri 21-Feb-20 21:31:28

Teal is green! I hate green and never wear it. I also struggle with turquoise as I sometimes think that's more green than blue. Blue is my fave, especially navy.

Chaitriona Fri 21-Feb-20 20:04:09

Maremia says glas means green in Scotland and Glasgow is often translated as the dear green place. But Alastair Macintosh in his book “Poacher’s pilgrimage” writes about a river called Abhainn Ghlas and says that some translate this as the silver river, or the grey river or the blue or green river. It depends who you ask. He says the feeling that is meant by the Gaelic word ghlas or glas doesn’t map directly onto a spectrum of seven colours. You could perhaps translate it as “the colour of the moods of light from ever-changing skies, reflected on the surface of water.” It is very difficult to talk or write about colours. We have so few words to distinguish the infinite variety of shades. Which is strange because they affect our emotions so strongly.