Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Curtain advice needed, please!

(11 Posts)
phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 17:58:03

Oopsadaisy our house is well heated, just used to like a light fresh look for Spring/Summer, and warm rich tones (ooh, get me, going all interior designer!) for the colder months.

Worked quite well, but now getting fed up with the hassle (taking the curtain poles down etc)

So, will be listing some curtains on Freecycle and donating some duvet covers & pillow cases to various local places.

phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 17:51:04

Right! Just started the gathering on the first curtain.

Remembered to tie the ends (Gave myself 6 points and a small glass of wine) but could I get the gathers even? Could I buffalo! (That's the polite version, don't want anyone clutching their pearls or spitting sherry down their twinset)

Just realised, they wouldn't be spitting sherry, (very uncouth) perhaps spluttering might have been a better choice of word? blush

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 17:40:48

Phoenix I remember Spring and Autumns when I was a child, helping Mum to change the curtains, heavy ones for winter ( no double glazing or heating) and light summery ones for the warmer days.
Something I never bothered to do once we moved into heated homes.

phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 17:35:31

Thank you, Missadventure

I used to use pale green curtains for Spring/Summer and switch to a dark wine colour for Autumn/Winter (changing bed linen colours and bedside lampshades too) but have decided it's too much faff!

So, going for a sort of biscuit coloured damask type fabric for the curtains.

I had one of those "moments" when looking for stuff to help a young neighbour setting up a new home for herself and little daughter after some tough times, and remembered that I had bought some curtains on "bogoff" in a sale, and never used them!

So, have given a huge pair to the young neighbour, and am using the others in our bedroom.

Hopefully I will be able to live with them all year round, rather than the hassle of switching twice a year!

(Hope this makes sense, and doesn't make me seem extravagant, because I'm definitely not!)

tanith Fri 21-Feb-20 17:35:02

phoenix you could right it’s a lot of years since I made curtains or hung them.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 17:13:37

I would say its gaps in the header tape.
Easier to count them than fiddle about with a tape measure.
I used to do about every 4 or 5, I think, for a decent amount of gather.

It depends on how thick the material is, too, to an extent.

phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 16:11:49

Just a thought, Tanith did you mean every 6 to 8 inches, or 6 to 8 of the gaps in the header tape?

(Curtain numpty disclaimer applied blush)

phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 15:59:25

Thank you both.

Must admit I have usually put hooks closer together than that, Tanith. I suppose it might be relative to the width of the windows?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:39:51

Agree with Tanith

tanith Fri 21-Feb-20 15:37:45

As they’re never going to be ‘pulled’ it doesn’t really matter so just gather them to you liking. I used to put hooks about every 6to8 ins when I had curtains.

phoenix Fri 21-Feb-20 15:32:52

Afternoon all, and sending good wishes.

I am hanging new curtains in the bedroom, and could do with some advice.

Have taken them out of the packaging and left them on coat hangers for the creases to drop out. (Beats ironing the buggers, although I do have a handy hint for that, providing you don't live in a bungalow wink)

They have pencil pleat type tape. Before gathering, each curtain measures 45" wide.

So, how much should I gather them, and how many hooks/rings should I aim for on each curtain?

Just to try to explain, one pair will be on the window, but never drawn as we have a blackout blind and the curtains are just to "dress" the window.

The other pair will be hung on a pole behind the headboard.

I admit that might sound odd, but I have had tab top ones hung there for ages, and it actually looks really good!

Thank you!