Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift suggestions 7 yr old GS

(19 Posts)
LullyDully Tue 25-Feb-20 08:37:41

Hama beads are wonderful.

I usually opt for something to wear, a good book and something to play with.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Feb-20 23:44:24

I'll take a closer look at Aquila though... thanks for flagging it up.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Feb-20 23:43:00

If you want a subscription, my 8 year old grandson likes "The Week" in the junior version:
theweekjunior.co.uk/newyear?ppcad=true&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkcTByK7r5wIVDLDtCh3Q4wckEAAYAiAAEgLmPfD_BwE

Grammaretto Mon 24-Feb-20 22:05:23

Aquila magazine is a real hit with our lad varian
That site looks fun midgey
A good toy shop will sell some of those things too if you have time before you head off. Just don't leave it till the airport unless you buy him chocolate! tanith

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Feb-20 22:03:00

My just 8 year old grandson loves Hama beads. There are IKEA versions too and some 3D ones:
www.hamabeads.com/product-category/midi-hama-beads-all/hama-sets/?swoof=1&orderby=date&really_curr_tax=294-product_cat

midgey Mon 24-Feb-20 20:48:51

www.wickeduncle.co.uk/
This can have some good ideas, definitely worth a look.

varian Mon 24-Feb-20 19:23:17

It depends whether or not your grandson is a keen reader, but I recommend a subscription to Aquila Magazine which can be sent abroad.

It is a monthly magazine aimed at 8-12 year olds packed full of interesting and informative content. If you think he's too young for it at seven, perhaps wait till next year.

www.aquila.co.uk/

Grammaretto Mon 24-Feb-20 19:10:23

I am reading with interest as my DGS will be 8 this week and lives in NZ so I have to post parcels. This time it's books. He has plenty but I was tempted by a couple. The book depository is the best because they have free delivery.
www.bookdepository.com/
Lego is his favourite too but I've no idea what he has already so too tricky. Postage is very expensive so I did resort to money in his bank account and a card.
Last year I sent him an educational kit suited to his age, from an online company I found when googling and had it posted. He loved it apparently.
Have a lovely time with your family. You will be his best present smile

Oldbutstilluseful Mon 24-Feb-20 18:19:30

Just a thought, there are some great interactive character watches for boys on the market. Look up A.....s on line for ideas. Good luck with your search.

tanith Mon 24-Feb-20 17:29:47

Thanks for all the suggestions he already does lots of baking with Mum I like the 3D pen suggestions I’m looking into that too.

Gymstagran Mon 24-Feb-20 17:13:59

My 7 year old grandson loves his 3D pen .He has made all sorts of weird models with it. It's quite small and uses plastic coils

T0mlin Mon 24-Feb-20 17:12:45

My 7 year old GS loves baking, if you took maybe a muffin mix, cake toppers/bun cases (lots of different character ones available) you could help him make them for breakfast just the two of you! I hope you have a lovely time.

Artdecogran Mon 24-Feb-20 17:01:08

My 7 year old grandson loves weaving on a little hand loom. If you provided some lovely coloured yarns, eyelash yarns and ribbons I am sure he’d love it. You would also get quality one on one with him.

tanith Mon 24-Feb-20 16:58:28

I don’t think he has his own devices. I’ll take a look at the other suggestions thanks.

ElaineI Mon 24-Feb-20 13:12:42

Hama beads? Mystery/detective kit? Magic set? DGS got a kit to discover semi precious stones - was like rocks that you had to bang with a hammer (provided) and then discover a stone in the centre. Was about 8 stones - nice colours and now in his "not for toddlers" precious box. He is 6.

ninathenana Mon 24-Feb-20 13:08:36

Does he have a device that you can either pay for a download or buy a game for.
Our GS will be 8 in a few weeks and often asks for apps for his i-pad.

tanith Mon 24-Feb-20 13:02:26

Thanks but as were only there for a long weekend my son and partner invariably have a plan for each day but a good suggestion.

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 12:58:05

How about an experience on arrival?
The cinema and a pizza is always a hit.

tanith Mon 24-Feb-20 12:53:16

I’m visiting my son and family at the weekend they live abroad I’ve bought something for my GD 2 but I’m really stumped for GS. He has a mountain of Lego his favourite toy and shelves of books and cars which Mum and Dad and other Granny buy often. I gave up at Christmas and sent a token gift and money.

Any suggestions? I’ll only have hand luggage so it can’t be big or heavy it’s so hard to buy for kids who want for nothing.
Thanks